Vivian Campbell undergoing cancer treatment

Captain Howdy

• 11 months later...

Cancer has returned after initially being cleared back in November

http://www.teamrock.com/news/2014-05-19/viv-campbell-s-cancer-returns

Def Leppard guitarist Vivian Campbell's cancer has returned – but he insists he's not concerned at the development.

He got the all-clear in November after being diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma at the beginning of last year.

Now he's undergoing more treatment ahead of his band's US tour with Kiss, and it means he's missed songwriting sessions with the band.

Campbell tells Gater 98.7: "I'm doing good. It seems to be kind of coming back. But I'm not concerned about it – I mean, it's just a process.

"It always was a little touch-and-go. I need to get a handle on it so I'm free and clear to tour this summer. All good."

He recently hailed fellow cancer victim Wilko Johnson for continuing to work through his illness, saying: " I always suspected that Wilko was too tough for that pussy-assed cancer shit. Turns out I was right."

Meanwhile, former UFO bassist Pete Way has reported he's starting to recover from radiotherapy for prostate cancer. He says: "I'll get the result as to whether it's worked in a couple of months, so it's a waiting game now.

"I'm still on hormone therapy and I can't wait to stop that so I can get back to my normal shape and size. Provided I'm given the all-clear I'll be going flat-out to release my new album Walking On The Edge and get back on the road, where I belong."

Seems it's going to get us all at some point. Never been more scared of anything honestly...it's something we are doing to ourselves. There are so many foods that are legal in the U.S. that aren't in other countries. I'm not saying it's just a U.S. thing but something is going on...I hope all mentioned above beat this thing.

• 1 year later...
Steve from Trixter is going to fill-in for a bit when the tour starts (very soon, I think).

Yeah, he filled in for Viv last time he had to take a medical leave too.

Needless to say it's a great opportunity for Steve, of course, but that's a hell of a way to land a gig.

Well.... Trixter just released a new album as well and I'm sure they'd like to promote it, so why not bring them out as an opening act and Steve could pull double duty for both bands... Win/win

Yeah, I really wish him all the best and hope he recovers well from this (again).

I do have to ask, though, how on earth did Steve Brown land the gig with Def Leppard? That just seems like such a random connection. Where did it come from?

Yeah, I really wish him all the best and hope he recovers well from this (again).

I do have to ask, though, how on earth did Steve Brown land the gig with Def Leppard? That just seems like such a random connection. Where did it come from?

Something I've wondered, as well.

I always thought Bruce Watson would be a good choice... but very happy for Viv that's a decision that doesn't need to be made.