Krokus - Dirty Dynamite

Grey

All of that time spent in the legendary Abbey Road Studio and they come up with an album that sounds completely dull and lifeless - complete with distortion on the low end and absolutely nothing on the high end. I've heard garage recordings that sounded better than this. WTF?

Sorry, but audio quality plays a big part in my ability to enjoy music. Wolfgang Puck's food might be delicious, but I'm not enjoying it if it's served on a toilet seat.

I can't even find anything worth posting, so here's a random track:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqs1vVgrEW4

I loved the last 3 albums, but this one is garbage. My most anticipated release will no doubt be my biggest disappointment this year. Has anyone else heard this? What do you think?

/rant

I absolutely love this release. This sounds like vintage Krokus from the late 70's. This track is a pretty good indication of what you will get on this release. I would say this is in the bottom third as far as tracks on the release go. I hope they keep releasing stuff just like this.

Not sure what to say about this....I have always liked Krokus, They have put out sub-par efforts though, and while I liked "Rock the Block" at first, it is actually kind of generic when you remember they put out discs like "Headhunter" and "One Vice at a Time", or even "The Blitz". So I have kind of stopped picking up their stuff. I still like them though, ---and I am sure I would like this record better than anything Def Leppard has put out in 20 years.

(Kind of enjoy that 70's Ac/Dc jangling guitar sound on this...I will listen to more and see if it's better...)

This track is just ok. I mean really when you think of all the great music that is coming out each year, this song really is just OK and nothing more IMO. If you love and can't get enough of that classic AC/DC sound then your opinion will definitely differ.

Even the lyrics..."All night long, you shake me"....let's see, if I move this word here, and uh, that over there and um, I don't know, where have I heard this before?

Anyway, nothing I will get excited about, for others to enjoy.

I think I got through 3 songs on this one before tuning out. Never been a massive fan of these guys, but half interested. The banality and lyrics and stupidly basic songs got to me so quick when spinning this.

If a band constantly does what they do over and over again and you love that style, it's great. But when a band does something okay in the first place and then does it over and over again, it really tends to grate on me. To each their own, anyway, glad people are enjoying this.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, rather than rate/review every album I hear this year, I'm making a separate list of CDs not worthy of review, and sadly, this is one of them. Having heard it once I know I'll just be dishing out a heap of 5/10's and I seriously just don't want to bother. Painfully (below) average rock CD.

Nobody cares about the sound quality? How much could an engineer destroy the music before you decided you couldn't listen to it? Mute the bass? Mix it in mono? Add static so it sounded like it came from an old AM radio?

You guys are too forgiving.

Been listening to this one in the car for the last week and really enjoying it. While "Better Than Sex" is the standout track for me, I also really enjoy what they did on their version of The Beatles' "Help". It's so different that I didn't recognize the song 'til the chorus the first time I heard it. I kept thinking, "Damn, I know this song, what is it?" and then when the chorus hit, I was like "Well slap my ass and call me Charlie!"

As for the sound quality, I refuse to let production or mastering stop me from enjoying the SONGS that a band has put together for their fans.

In this, the digital age, everything is being mastered as LOUD as possible so it will sound good on little Sally Sue's IPOD, with no thought to what might happen when an actual CD is played on a decent sound system. Most any music coming out these days distorts at high volumes, so you tweak and fine tune as best you can, and just enjoy the music... or at least that's what I choose to do.

Been listening to this one in the car for the last week and really enjoying it. While "Better Than Sex" is the standout track for me, I also really enjoy what they did on their version of The Beatles' "Help". It's so different that I didn't recognize the song 'til the chorus the first time I heard it. I kept thinking, "Damn, I know this song, what is it?" and then when the chorus hit, I was like "Well slap my ass and call me Charlie!"

As for the sound quality, I refuse to let production or mastering stop me from enjoying the SONGS that a band has put together for their fans.

In this, the digital age, everything is being mastered as LOUD as possible so it will sound good on little Sally Sue's IPOD, with no thought to what might happen when an actual CD is played on a decent sound system. Most any music coming out these days distorts at high volumes, so you tweak and fine tune as best you can, and just enjoy the music... or at least that's what I choose to do.

Wow. Thanks for pointing that out about the Help tune. I guess I didn't really listen close enough either to realize it;s the Beatle's track.

Excellent release from the band!!! As Rick mentions, it's just good party rock :guitar:

And catchy as hell...I was singing "She's dirty dynamite" all weekend long...but that was the only line I could remember! :drink2:

Well sure, but there has to be a limit to what you're willing to endure. Is there any point in which you're so distracted by the horrible sound quality, it overrides your ability to enjoy what you're hearing?

How bad could I make "Back For the Attack" sound before you'd refuse to listen? Would you enjoy it just the same with clipping, distortion, white noise and no dynamics? How much of that could I introduce before you'd say, "mercy"?

Hoodoo, Hellraiser and Rock the Block were plenty compressed, and Hellraiser even had a slight bit of distortion, but it wasn't enough to distract me from the music. This one, however, was too much for me.