Gene the Werewolf

embrock

Wowser, never heard of this band before and we don't have to talk about how silly the band name sounds, BUT I like what I'm hearing!

Apparently they've got a disc coming out on Frontiers in November and it seems like it is a physical re-release of their digital-only debut from 2011.

Certainly not album of the year, but sounds like a lot of fun: http://genethewerewolf.bandcamp.com/album/wicked-love

• 1 month later...

Despite the worthy inclusion of sluts, the film clip and appearance of the band is shithouse, but it's a very cool, fun song. I'll check out the CD for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

I've combed through the samples on MR.com and I've gotta say, this is might be one of the best releases to come out this year. FUN is the name of the game.

http://melodicrock.com/showcase/genethewerewolf-rocknrollanimal.html

Not to say they are a blend of AC/DC and KISS would be a lie. I hear more of a Bon Scott vibe in the tunes and vocals....however the songs are more to my liking than pretty much anything AC/DC has ever done.

The fourth track Heart Of Steel sounds like something Waltham would do, amazing track! The backing vocals on all the tracks sound amazing. I'm gonna pick this one up for sure.

I have a tough time thinking members wouldn't like this one....unless their rock and roll heart has died.

Absolutely backed - and contrary to some of the earlier posts, I think this will be one of the releases of the year!

Every song sounds phenomenal to these ears - top of my wish list at the moment!

Don't like it at all sorry. The song's not great to me, and I really don't like the vibe / look of the band, which is insignificant, but when I don't like the music already it only just adds to it and it's a bit of a snowball effect at the minute.

If you doods are that excited about it I'll give the album a chance... but I am not very excited. :(

Don't like it at all sorry. The song's not great to me, and I really don't like the vibe / look of the band, which is insignificant, but when I don't like the music already it only just adds to it and it's a bit of a snowball effect at the minute.

If you doods are that excited about it I'll give the album a chance... but I am not very excited. :(

I would say judging from the samples that the above track is the worst song. Some of the others sound amazing.

I defo pick up for me.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got this one and I must say it's fun, not brilliant but fun.

Here is my track by track review

Wicked Love - It's actually a weak opener, would have fit better as a closing track, goes nowhere and runs long 6/10

I Only Wanna Rock N Roll - The first few vocal notes remind me of Bon Scott in a big way, love the catchy chorus 9/10

Superhero - Sorta modern sounding Pop Rock with a twist of classic KISS. 7/10

Heart Of Steel - A perfect pop rock song, fans of classic Rick Springfield will love it. The chorus and cheesy keys rule. 10/10

Rock And Roll Animal - Another AC/DC styled number, lots of fun 7/10

I've Got The Love - Another great Glam Pop Rock track, picture The Darkness without Justin Hawkins on vox. 8/10

Ruffneck Woman - 70's KISS and AC/DC...hard not to love 8/10

Light Me Up - Sorta of a moody dark, I think I hear some Def Leppard. Great chorus! 9/10

Firecracker - Another AC/DC styled rocker 7/10

Give It Up - Another pop/glam rock track, the 'if you really care' line is so Def Leppard - Foolin', but not the rest of it 8/10

The Ballad Of Gene - An Aerosmith/Ozzy styled big ballad, with goofy lyrics 7/10

78%

• 1 month later...

Finally got to spin this one today. After a few of the tunes I was all ready to come here and say how wrong I'd been in my nonchalance towards this album, but by the end of it I'm still not sure. There are without doubt some really good songs here. In fact, Dave, I'm really surprised at your comments on the opener, 'Wicked Love' as I think it's about as good as the album gets. Great hook. I'd probably almost swap your first 2 scores around. I found that all the singles I'd heard were generally the weaker songs, like I think Glen said somewhere.

Yeah, I need a few more spins but a few of the rockers like 'Wicked love,' 'It's got the love' and 'Give it up' all sounded pretty good, and 'Light me up' was a great ballad. Definitely not a killer disc, but certainly not without it's highlights.

Well, I can already tell you which side of the fence I'm on..........

................ this kicks ass!!! :banger::whistle::headbanger:

So far......

Wicked Love - 9/10

I Only Want To Rock N Roll - 8/10

Superhero - 8/10

Heart Of Steel - 8/10

Rock N Roll Animal - 9/10

And the rest!!

I've Got The Love - 9/10

Ruffneck Woman - 8/10

Light Me Up - 9/10

Firecracker - 8/10

Give It Up - 8/10

The Ballad Of Gene - 8/10

And to be totally honest, if they do/did get overlooked by the masses, they've really only got themselves to blame with that terrible band name. Surely the worst of some pretty bad ones in recent years.

I don't know Geoff. I think it's sort of like what car companies do. Make the most annoying commercial i the world and people will remember your name. Maybe that's the strategy the band is trying. Worst band name ever = sticks in your memory bank.