Gene the Werewolf

embrock

I don't know Geoff. I think it's sort of like what car companies do. Make the most annoying commercial in the world and people will remember your name. Maybe that's the strategy the band is trying. Worst band name ever = sticks in your memory bank.

No doubt it'd stick in your head if you gave them a go, but I fear - for them - that the name will turn most people away at the gates. If you don't know what's going on and you're looking for a great new hard rock band you're going to reach for Nazzty Boyyzz over Gene The Werewolf every time, before you even hear a note. I just get the impression from the songs that more people should have heard them this year, and they didn't. Out of curiosity, how come you hadn't checked them out before? I know you keep pretty on top of new releases, don't you? I dunno, I think if you're a great band the songs will speak for themselves, but if it was me I wouldn't make it any harder to get recognized than need be.

No doubt it'd stick in your head if you gave them a go, but I fear - for them - that the name will turn most people away at the gates. If you don't know what's going on and you're looking for a great new hard rock band you're going to reach for Nazzty Boyyzz over Gene The Werewolf every time, before you even hear a note. I just get the impression from the songs that more people should have heard them this year, and they didn't. Out of curiosity, how come you hadn't checked them out before? I know you keep pretty on top of new releases, don't you? I dunno, I think if you're a great band the songs will speak for themselves, but if it was me I wouldn't make it any harder to get recognized than need be.

I had never heard of them. HaHa. You may be right. I would definitely buy Nazzty Boyyzz over Gene The Werewolf. I do keep on top of new releases. Just one of those "what the fuck". band names. :lol:

I had never heard of them. HaHa. You may be right. I would definitely buy Nazzty Boyyzz over Gene The Werewolf. I do keep on top of new releases. Just one of those "what the fuck". band names. :lol:

If a band like The Poodles can get the recognition they deserve then names really don't matter...

If a band like The Poodles can get the recognition they deserve then names really don't matter...

True, one of the worst bands names ever imo. Although I really dislike the band anyway.

FWIW, I really like the name 'Gene The Werewolf'; it's original and pretty funny.

• My Little Pony

True, one of the worst bands names ever imo. Although I really dislike the band anyway.

FWIW, I really like the name 'Gene The Werewolf'; it's original and pretty funny.

I must side with James on this one--on Gene the Werewolf, not The Poodles. He can drink bleach for thinking The Poodles are terrible, but I don't dislike the name "Gene the Werewolf." It's true it doesn't represent their style of music correctly, but neither does "The Poodles," "Wig Wam," and many others.

If you think about it Crashdiet is a fucking awful band name. Lol

I told my wife this was a sleaze hard rock band and she was like WTF??

Really? To me, Crashdiet screams to me exactly what the band is. Don't know why, it just always did.

The Poodles are an example where the songs speak for themselves, but there was quite a bit of hype about those guys from the start, and some "big" names in the genre in the band as well. A new band starting out with a terrible name is going to struggle a bit more to get noticed.

As for you guys who like the name, shame on you. It's wretched. ;)

If you think about it Crashdiet is a fucking awful band name. Lol

I told my wife this was a sleaze hard rock band and she was like WTF??

Really? To me, Crashdiet screams to me exactly what the band is. Don't know why, it just always did.

The Poodles are an example where the songs speak for themselves, but there was quite a bit of hype about those guys from the start, and some "big" names in the genre in the band as well. A new band starting out with a terrible name is going to struggle a bit more to get noticed.

As for you guys who like the name, shame on you. It's wretched. ;)

Yeah and it always did to me too but the fact is that Crashdiet is f weird name - ask anyone else and they will give you a weird look I guarantee.

I mean it's a crashdiet ffs - you know something a woman goes on to lose a bit if weight lol. Really the name for a hard as nails sleaze rock band??

Just as silly as The Poodles imo.

:lol: Yeah, I guess there's a difference between a weird name and a weird and horrible name. Crashdiet = cool. Gene The Werewolf = terrible. :lol:

For the record, laid down my review on this one today:

1. Wicked Love - good opener with a very cool hook, and nice backing vocals - 8.50

2. I Only Wanna Rock N' Roll - basic, but a cool anthemic rocker - 7.25

3. Superhero - the chorus hook is okay, but overall the song's pretty average - 7.00

4. Heart of Steel - killer pre-chorus hook, decent catchy tune, almost like The Darkness with a decent vocalist - 8.00

5. Rock N' Roll Animal - solid rocker - fun but not super - 7.25

6. I've Got the Love - pretty average rocker - 6.50

7. Ruffneck Woman - decent, fun rocker - 7.00

8. Light Me Up - real nice ballad with great hooks throughout - 8.50

9. Firecracker - solid, straight forward rocker - 7.25

10. Give It Up - really cool melodic rocker with another very nice chorus hook - 8.50

11. The Ballad of Gene - pretty decent ballad, but not great - 7.25

12. Make Love - one of the album's best - cool lyrics and a great hook - 8.50

TOTAL SCORE - 76%