THE DARKNESS - Hot Cakes

zacharyamelie

I know the love/hate people have with this band but newest single 'Everybody Have A Good Time' is brilliant and fun as hell. Wasn't sold on the first 2 singles but this one is much better. Hot Cakes comes out August 20th.

BTW, easily the best album cover of the year...damn I'm hungry for some Hot Cakes!!!

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh0V6wd8chM[/media]

Should be a good album judging by what I've heard so far. Bring on August

I'd buy this if it as good as Rick's version of Keep your hands off my girlfriend MuthaFucka!!!!! He rocks it out :)

Our neighbors across the street put their house up for sale after they heard my rendition of that song. Surprised that hasn't shown up on video yet.

I'd buy this if it as good as Rick's version of Keep your hands off my girlfriend MuthaFucka!!!!! He rocks it out :)

Our neighbors across the street put their house up for sale after they heard my rendition of that song. Surprised that hasn't shown up on video yet.

Oh well. They have too many curtains anyway :)

Oh well. They have too many curtains anyway :)

Not those neighbors unfortunately. :(

• 1 month later...

Here is my personal track by track review, minus the bonus tracks, if they are made available to me when I buy the hard copy this coming week.

1. Every Inch Of You - Cool and groovy track, could do without Justin talking about sucking his cock 8/10

2. Nothin's Gonna Stop Us - Intense and short tune, a real grower, I like it 8/10

3. With A Woman - Excellent riff, good chorus 8.5/10

4. Keep Me Hangin' On - Another great riff, simple song and a catchy one line chorus. 8.5/10

5. Living Each Day Blind - This one is killer, a real gem, it has a great chorus. 9.5/10

6. Everybody Have A Good Time - Easily the funnest track on the album, the song is like glue...stuck in my head 9.5/10

7. She Just A Girl, Eddie - Another great and simple riff, I'm sure with multiple listens this one will grow on me 8/10

8. Forbidden Love - Another absolute monster track, starts off real soft and goofy, but the chorus is fantastic 9.5/10

9. Concrete - Killer heavy riff, just too much falsettos, something that is generally toned down from the other releases 7.5/10

10. Street Spirit (Fade Out) - A Radiohead cover? Love the Steel Panther styled intro, but that's pretty much it. 5/10

11. Love Is Not The Anwser - A typical Darkness ballad sound, cool chorus, a solid closer.. 8/10

Total 82/100

I guess I'm a Darkness fanboy, so I find anything from The Darkness to be great.

The band's best song is Growing On Me from the debut it's a perfect rocker, the band's best stretch of songs are the first 5 on One Way Ticket (the last 5 tracks were messy at best). I'd have to say Hot Cakes is the band's most solid release through and through, other than that Radiohead cover which isn't that bad, although I do wish I didn't know the original and thus might enjoy this version more. Hot Cakes really doesn't have the obvious filler tracks like the 2 previous or the Justin Hawkins - Hot Legs project had.

Here is my personal track by track review, minus the bonus tracks, if they are made available to me when I buy the hard copy this coming week.

1. Every Inch Of You - Cool and groovy track, could do without Justin talking about sucking his cock 8/10

2. Nothin's Gonna Stop Us - Intense and short tune, a real grower, I like it 8/10

3. With A Woman - Excellent riff, good chorus 8.5/10

4. Keep Me Hangin' On - Another great riff, simple song and a catchy one line chorus. 8.5/10

5. Living Each Day Blind - This one is killer, a real gem, it has a great chorus. 9.5/10

6. Everybody Have A Good Time - Easily the funnest track on the album, the song is like glue...stuck in my head 9.5/10

7. She Just A Girl, Eddie - Another great and simple riff, I'm sure with multiple listens this one will grow on me 8/10

8. Forbidden Love - Another absolute monster track, starts off real soft and goofy, but the chorus is fantastic 9.5/10

9. Concrete - Killer heavy riff, just too much falsettos, something that is generally toned down from the other releases 7.5/10

10. Street Spirit (Fade Out) - A Radiohead cover? Love the Steel Panther styled intro, but that's pretty much it. 5/10

11. Love Is Not The Anwser - A typical Darkness ballad sound, cool chorus, a solid closer.. 8/10

Total 82/100

I guess I'm a Darkness fanboy, so I find anything from The Darkness to be great.

The band's best song is Growing On Me from the debut it's a perfect rocker, the band's best stretch of songs are the first 5 on One Way Ticket (the last 5 tracks were messy at best). I'd have to say Hot Cakes is the band's most solid release through and through, other than that Radiohead cover which isn't that bad, although I do wish I didn't know the original and thus might enjoy this version more. Hot Cakes really doesn't have the obvious filler tracks like the 2 previous or the Justin Hawkins - Hot Legs project had.

Pretty much agree with your ranking of the songs although my scores would be a little lower! It's the first of their albums I've bought actually as I've always been turned off by the falsetto (always liked their musicianship and riffs). But on this release, as you mentioned, it's fortunately very toned down...let's hope they get rid of it completely on the next album :D

• 2 weeks later...

I made it to track 3 and I couldn't take anymore. That singer has to be one of the worst singers in the history of hard rock music. The music sounds great but those horrendous vocals kill it for me. You guys actually like how this guy "sings"??? :puke:

I mildly enjoyed their 1st disc and didn't care too much for disc #2. The Stone Gods were a million gazillion times better than this.

• 2 weeks later...

I gave this one's a shot earlier, well musically, it's entertaining, many great riffs here and there, and some catchy songs, but agree that the vocal kills it. Hawkins squeal annoyed me most of the time, but objectively, 'Hot Cakes' still have some gems such as 'Nothings Gonna Stop Us', 'With A Woman', 'Living Each Day Blind', 'She Just A Girl, Eddie', and 'Forbidden Love'.

The bonus tracks are also worthy, I guess the acoustical touch of 'I Can't Believe It's Not Love' and 'Love Is Not The Answer' are also pretty great. All in all, I think this one is ranged 70%-75% for me, but maybe fell on the former because of the vocal

It's a good strong album with some good songs on it , with more of a 70's hard rock vibe to some of it and is slightly different to the other 2 albums. The discussions on Justins voice has got pretty boring by now to be honest, so I won't go there except to say, I found his vocals on 'Hot Cakes' to be more toned down than previously, Good discs all the same.