What do you use to rip your music to MP3?

Jeff

This is in older threads but I am looking for an update.

What software do you use?

What bit rate do you use?

I use Audiograbber with the LAME encoder dll to make MP3's. I used to like it quite a bit. Recently they did an update where the software chooses what it thinks is the best bit rate. I am not quite sure about that yet.

So...do tell.

• My Little Pony

Itunes!!!

Doh! :doh:

:) I can never get used to iTunes but I think I am in the minority.

Nope, you're not alone. I use iTunes to play my tracks, because I use iPods and an iPhone. But I rip via Windows Media, because I like that it puts everything in their respective folders.

Itunes!!!

Doh! :doh:

:) I can never get used to iTunes but I think I am in the minority.

Nope, you're not alone. I use iTunes to play my tracks, because I use iPods and an iPhone. But I rip via Windows Media, because I like that it puts everything in their respective folders.

Same except for the i-"stuff".

I use a program called CDex for ripping from CD's. It's an older program (2009) though you can easily update to the latest version of the lame encoder. It's simple to use and very customisable in terms of rip quality and file/tag naming conventions. I rip everything at CBR 320 kbps. With the size of storage devices these days I don't see any reason to rip at lower quality. I know a lot of people are now ripping to FLAC but I think these files are too big. Other programs I use are MP3-Tag Studio 3 to sort out all my tags and MediaMonkey Gold to organise and play my music. The combination of these 3 programs is all I need.

I think Windows Media Player and I-Tunes are terrible programs. They're good in that they take away a lot of the manual work in sorting out a music collection, but they are sometimes a little too clever for their own good.

I-Tunes is the biggest c*nt of a program ever. It still surprises me how f*cked up it can be. And now that my wife haves an Iphone, and me being the technical savvy hand of the house... trying to work that c*nt out... wowser, they could not have made it less logical.

Anyway, I use windows media player to rip music to transfer to an Ipod if I ever do that because it couldn't be more straight forward. :)

Itunes is easy & just like anything else you can use settings to rip at any rate. I do 320 on mine. Big files but ehh, who cares. Let me know if you want to use it & I will walk you through. Its very easy though.

I use a program called CDex for ripping from CD's. It's an older program (2009) though you can easily update to the latest version of the lame encoder. It's simple to use and very customisable in terms of rip quality and file/tag naming conventions. I rip everything at CBR 320 kbps. With the size of storage devices these days I don't see any reason to rip at lower quality. I know a lot of people are now ripping to FLAC but I think these files are too big. Other programs I use are MP3-Tag Studio 3 to sort out all my tags and MediaMonkey Gold to organise and play my music. The combination of these 3 programs is all I need.

I think Windows Media Player and I-Tunes are terrible programs. They're good in that they take away a lot of the manual work in sorting out a music collection, but they are sometimes a little too clever for their own good.

:agree: I love CDex w/the LAME encoder. It's all I use to rip my cd's to mp3 files. Only complaint I have is I wish they used a different service to look up the cd info, about half the time the disc I put in is never found despite Winamp's database service finding the same cd info nearly 100% of the time.

Itunes is easy & just like anything else you can use settings to rip at any rate. I do 320 on mine. Big files but ehh, who cares. Let me know if you want to use it & I will walk you through. Its very easy though.

yeah I never really get all the hate for Apple and itunes. All I ever do is import the cd and plug in.....it does all the rest. probably takes about 2 mins for an average CD.

I do understand that the programme can slow your PC/laptop down a bit, but Ive never really noticed to be honest.

yeah I never really get all the hate for Apple and itunes. All I ever do is import the cd and plug in.....it does all the rest. probably takes about 2 mins for an average CD.

I do understand that the programme can slow your PC/laptop down a bit, but Ive never really noticed to be honest.

I use iTunes, but I do get a bit annoyed when I put a CD in, it checks the database for the track names and then the band (and often album) name comes up completely wrong. I can understand it if it's the odd letter and just a typo, but a lot of them are changed considerably for no apparent reason. As a few examples, here are some band names and what they appear as on iTunes:

Zar = "Z.A.A.R."

Radioactive = "The Radioactives"

Grand Prix = "The Grand Prixx"

Departure = "The Departure"

Prototype = "PROTO-type" (etc etc)

Can't really understand how they make these mistakes unless it's (a) down to the labels or (B) deliberate!

I use iTunes, but I do get a bit annoyed when I put a CD in, it checks the database for the track names and then the band (and often album) name comes up completely wrong. I can understand it if it's the odd letter and just a typo, but a lot of them are changed considerably for no apparent reason. As a few examples, here are some band names and what they appear as on iTunes:

Zar = "Z.A.A.R."

Can't really understand how they make these mistakes unless it's (a) down to the labels or (B) deliberate!

This isn't Apple's fault. These errors are made by the users themselves when they import and send the titles to the database.

Zar = "Z.A.A.R."

This isn't Apple's fault. These errors are made by the users themselves when they import and send the titles to the database.

I stand corrected, thanks for putting me right.

Still irritating though!

My only big issue with itunes is it doesnt rip the album cover in.

I dont know how to make the album cover appear with the music files.......