Rock Candy - Sucker for a Pretty Face`

whiplash1972

I'd be interested to know what info any of you have regarding this. You can see some of the discussion taking place on the main site here: Rock Candy HH

As of this morning, Daz Buff is describing one version of a silver pressed Rock Candy CD he has (Link Records catalog # 8701), and I've received a pm describing yet ANOTHER version of this supposed mega/super duper rarity this morning (Loop Records). The story on this release is that the band signed a contract permitting Loop Records to press & release the album on cd but did not get paid as promised & therefore refuse to acknowledge the Loop Records pressing.

My main problem with all of this, is that if legit or even semi-legit CD copies have EVER existed, how is it that they've JUST NOW, 25 years down the road, popped up? I smell a boot(s)!

Chances are you are correct about the possibility these are boots. I'm waiting for it to pop up on Azintex.

This may not mean anything, but I'll share my two cents anyway.

I have a cd called Winter's Reign - "The Beginning". It's pressed on "LINK Company" 1987/Loop Records and is VERY rare, although not as rare as Rock Candy. Anyway, I don't think it's a boot and the label seem legit, which leds me to believe that Rock Candy is not a boot either, if released on the same label. Just my 2 cents.

I’m not going to argue the authenticity of the Rock Candy either way, but I will say that it’s not completely out of the question that this CD could have eluded all the collectors for as long as it did. I mean who honestly had been looking for a Rock Candy CD before this year? I absolutely love the album, but I never thought that it was ever pressed to CD, so I never really looked for one. How long did the Surrender – s/t (Denver Colorado Band) go unnoticed, before it finally surfaced amongst collectors?

I can also tell you that in the early 2000s, I was looking for a particular CD, and was told by more than one collector that the CD did not exist and I can scratch it off my wantlist. And I’m not talking about some armature collectors either, I’m talking about some of the most experienced guys in the scene. As I later found out, the CD did in fact exist (100% without a doubt, not a bootleg)

So I’m not saying that the Rock Candy CD is the real deal, but it would be wise to not totally rule out the possibility either. Anyway, I hope there is someone out there that can shed more light on this question and prove that it is a fake or the real deal.

I can also tell you that in the early 2000s, I was looking for a particular CD, and was told by more than one collector that the CD did not exist and I can scratch it off my wantlist. And I'm not talking about some armature collectors either, I'm talking about some of the most experienced guys in the scene. As I later found out, the CD did in fact exist (100% without a doubt, not a bootleg)

And said CD was???

I have a cd called Winter's Reign - "The Beginning". It's pressed on "LINK Company" 1987/Loop Records and is VERY rare, although not as rare as Rock Candy. Anyway, I don't think it's a boot and the label seem legit, which leds me to believe that Rock Candy is not a boot either, if released on the same label. Just my 2 cents.

This has nothing to do with your copy (hopefully) but the Winter's Reign - The Beginning CD has now been booted, and is available for a whopping $7.99 on Azintex Music. :angry2:

http://www.discogs.com/Rockcandy-Sucker-For-A-Pretty-Face/release/3362463

Rock Candy – Sucker For A Pretty Face

Label:

Link Company – Link 8701

Format:

CD, Album

UK

Released:

Genre:

Rock

Style:

Glam

Barcode and Other Identifiers▼

Matrix / Runout: link 8701

This has boot written all over it....not that that would keep me from buying it...lol...I recently received a photo of the Link Records release...looks nice, silver pressed...good artwork...but experience has told me when things start popping up like this...they are boots...maybe nicely done...they have a great seemingly legit story behind them...but usually someone has done the boot...created a story...and is very slowly letting them out to add to the illusion they are very rare....it will be interesting to see if in a few months they are on ebay.....I have learned patience when it comes to these things....

http://www.discogs.c...release/3362463

Label:

Link Company – Link 8701

Format:

CD, Album

UK

Released:

Genre:

Rock

Style:

Glam

Rock Candy was added to the Discogs site by someone using the ID MarkHopkins on January 23rd of THIS YEAR. http://www.discogs.c...ser=markhopkins

He also just happens to have a copy for sale for the low, low price of £ 300.00

http://www.discogs.c...ler/markhopkins

experience has told me when things start popping up like this...they are boots...maybe nicely done...they have a great seemingly legit story behind them...but usually someone has done the boot...created a story...and is very slowly letting them out to add to the illusion they are very rare

Ding-ding-ding-ding! Exactly Mike. :christmas:

I would love to talk to the band....my first question would be..."why in the hell has this never been released on cd?" I have heard its all about money but c'mon....if you don't release it ..somebody is going to...legit or not....

http://www.discogs.c...release/3362463

Label:

Link Company – Link 8701

Format:

CD, Album

UK

Released:

Genre:

Rock

Style:

Glam

Rock Candy was added to the Discogs site by someone using the ID MarkHopkins on January 23rd of THIS YEAR. http://www.discogs.c...ser=markhopkins

He also just happens to have a copy for sale for the low, low price of £ 300.00

http://www.discogs.c...ler/markhopkins

(about $ 474.87)

:eek:

Hi guys,

I was speaking with Johnny Angel & the lead singer Jose Anes quite a few years back in order to try and officially released their material through Suncity Records. The band definitely think that the "Sucker For A Pretty Face" wasn't EVER released on CD! Having said that, the band were very vague about everything and I was dishing out the specific questions that we all wanna know. What I gathered was, the band weren't 100% sure if it was ever pressed on CD due to their record label back in the day not telling them much and/or paying them.

Anyway, I was prepared to give them the best deal I could possibly do (I was even prepared to lose money on the release(s)), we had plans to release the Sucker album and the 2nd unreleased album plus Jose's first band Sinful (Nuno Bettercourt's first band) + I think we were also talking about the release of Johnny Angel's unreleased material after Rock Candy (I forget the band name??) but they wanted silly money up front (I think it was $30,000 up front advance for everyone of the 4 releases). As people in the industry know, the margins just aren't for that :(

To be honest, the band came across as just totally bitter towards the whole music industry, and were extremely stand off'ish when approached by anyone in the music industry, and really they came across as big headed dick heads.

......anyway, I hope this sheds some light on this topic, it's such a damn shame because they are sitting on soooo much matieral that all of you fans want love so much!!!~!

Kind regards

Dave

No that's definitely not a boot and I remember it being released and seeing it in all the major shops Virgin/HMV and other mail order places like Shades e.t.c. the CD was released on Link/ Loop Records - I sold one years ago unopened that I came across years after it was deleted I didn't crack the cellophane even (although it had a small tear it was intact)as I realised it was mega rare when I picked it up - I never even got to hear it. Might have to splash out on the vinyl as I believe it would have been right up my street.

Here's a bit about it

http://www.irishrock.org/irodb/bands/wintersreign.html

Like Wes said, can't say for sure but he is correct that the Winter's Reign - 'The Beginning' was just released through Azintex on "Loop Records." I don't know if you've seen these mofo's, Nick, but it'd be hard to tell the difference between legit and boot. Only difference I could really tell is how new the condition on the disc is, I guess. And where you got it from. ;)

Anyway, like a few others said - if Rock Candy is coming up soon on Azintex I will place my order that same day. Amazing disc, and boot or not, I would sell genitals to have this silver pressed.

True - some dodgy characters out there.

The Winters Reign I had I got at a car boot sale must have been 7-8 years ago - some guy was selling off a load of his CD collection ... it was all metal and hard rock I think I picked up around 5 or 6 that day and there was more I would have liked to have grabbed but I didn't have the cash I could easily have bought tons more - I've still got the ones I bought. I remember seeing Budgie Power Supply there and passed on it, wish I'd grabbed it now as it fetches a fair price these days, but it wasn't as rare then. Quite a few CDs were still sealed and a few were still in the long card boxes still with the cellophane on them (U.S. style). He said that he bought so much that quite a few he just put on the racking and never got around to playing plus a few he had bought a couple of times by mistake. He reckoned then he still had a collection of around 7,000 CD's not counting the vinyl and I wonder if he kept collecting...and how big it is now. He must have had I'd hazard a guess at around 1000 CD's on his stall.

Just my 2 cents, from seeing a good pic of the CD on ebay you can tell from the inner ring that the CD isn't old. So I'm not saying its a bootleg because I can't prove it, I'm just saying it wasn't pressed back in the day when this came out from what I can tell from looking at the picture. I'm not saying......I'm just saying.

Just my 2 cents, from seeing a good pic of the CD on ebay you can tell from the inner ring that the CD isn't old. So I'm not saying its a bootleg because I can't prove it, I'm just saying it wasn't pressed back in the day when this came out from what I can tell from looking at the picture. I'm not saying......I'm just saying.

I'm not sure what you mean, the inner ring looks quite similar to the late 80's and early 90's NOISE releases.

And for those of you out there that really feel this is a bootleg, but are still interested in buying the CD, I would recommend waiting to make a purchase for a few months. And if you think that this is a legit pressing you might want to track one down REALLY FAST!!!! The reason is: The one on ebay that sold for $396.10 is on its way to the Russian Federation. Just sayin'

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=catz_whiskas&ftab=FeedbackLeftForOthers

Not familiar with Link Company and not sure if it was a legit company to begin with but looking at the printing of the LP art compared to the CD art, the colours are very cheap and way off on the CD art.

Agree with Metal 4 Ever though, this CD will soon creep in on the Russian bootleg sites such as Azintex.

Russian Copyright Law does not protect anything that is Pre-1995. A BIG boon and loophole for Russian bootleggers. So any Pre-1995 Metal/Rock CDs coming out of Russian, I would not hold my breath about them being legit versions.