Geoff

Doggy

At work, mate, how can I not be having a great day? ;):lol:

Haha, thanks anyway. :)

Just a quick prequel and rundown of how my birthday started:

Went out for Mother (in-law)'s Day lunch yesterday at 12:30pm. Pulled into the car spot and noticed my car was dying before my eyes. Didn't think too much of it, only that I'd need to get a new battery asap, later that afternoon. Somehow, lunch went for 4 hours (!!!) and we didn't get out till 4:30pm. Hop in the car, sure as f*ck it's dead as roadkill. All shops closed at 5pm and not near any anyway. So, my wife and I hop on a train and get home around 6pm, get her car and jumper leads and drive back out to my car (about half an hour drive from home). We kickstart my car and then start driving back home. Sure as f*ck the stupid f*cking thing dies about 5 minutes into the journey, so we try again with the jumper leads. This time the car drives 2 metres. It then becomes apparent that my alternator is f*cked.

So, rather than trying to charge for a few minutes and then risk driving along a busy main road up a massive hill and over a bridge - still about 15km from home, we leave my car in a sidestreet where it died and go home for the night. For any Sydney-siders, we left the car at Rhodes, which I thought was a decent area.

We get home, Google a car parts shop that opens at 8am this morning, go there this morning, buy the battery and charger and tester (to confirm alternator is f*cked) and then went to find my car. "Happy birthday!" my car yells at me with an open back door and unlocked front door. Closer inspection reveals that some c*nt broke into my car overnight by prying open the back door with a screwdriver or something. Lets call him C*nt. Well, C*nt obviously tried to drive my heap of shit car away, found out it was dead as f*ck and bailed. I had about 15 CDs in my car (and nothing else... oh, a good wetsuit. F*ck, I hope that's still there. I need to check that, but I think that was still there too.) Anyway, C*nt appears to have left when the car didn't start and nothing seemed to have been stolen, but still, what a great birthday surprise.

Anyway, we swap batteries, get the heap of shit started and I'm at work now... but it's 100% confirmed it is the alternator which needs replacement. Which will cost me a nice whopping $380 to buy and replace, plus the $202 I spent on the battery and charger this morning... totally delighted to be $582 down on my birthday! :lol:

Life, yes... it's a good one.

On a positive note, had my best surf within Sydney on Saturday in about a year... so I'll just pretend Saturday was my birthday. :lol:

Happy B-Day Geoff. Drink up.

pabst-blue-ribbon.jpg

Thanks doods. I actually got a 6 pack yesterday, for my birthday. Some new beer called Wahoo or something. Keen to try it. :lol:

You could probably replace the alternator yourself if you have some tools. Just replaced mine in the Sentra over the weekend. $115 remanufactured, a little cursing, but it seems to work.

Happy birthday on Saturday!

You could probably replace the alternator yourself if you have some tools. Just replaced mine in the Sentra over the weekend. $115 remanufactured, a little cursing, but it seems to work.

Happy birthday on Saturday!

Thanks mate.

Yeah, spoke with the father-in-law about potentially doing it myself but I came away from the discussion, and after looking at the task ahead of me, pretty much 100% I'd totally f*ck it up. I figure the $100 I'd be paying for the guy to come out here and do it as I work is possibly worth it, for peace of mind if nothing else.