25 years ago today....

zacharyamelie

I remember being in class in middle school and the teacher found out and allowed all of us to go to the library to watch the news. Being that young the magnitude of this tradegy did not quite compute the way it should have at the time, but enough for me to remember where I was when it happened.

I was a sophomore in high school when this happened. I didn't see it, but apparently one of the science classes was watching the launch live on TV, so word spread around the school pretty quickly afterwards.

I was in sixth grade at the time. Another teacher came running in our classroom and told us what happened. We then filed over to another classroom that was watching it live and watched the replays on tv. I remember that day like it was yesterday. I also remember the jokes that started up not even three days after it happened.

I was in 8th grade, and had laid out of school that day. I had been flipping through the channels trying to find something to watch, and wandered upon the launch, so I decided to check it out. I don't remember who the news anchor was who was reporting, but I remember the despair in his voice when it became apparent that the shuttle was not going to emerge from the large cloud of smoke, and that something had gone terribly wrong. -_-

"Sometimes, when we reach for the stars, we fall short. But we must pick ourselves up again and press on despite the pain." ~ Ronald Reagan

I was in High School and in the hallway when a teacher told me the news. I remember it vividly. I remember when Ronald Reagan got shot too. I was in middle school and in shop class. Memories I will likely take to my grave.

I was home eating lunch at the time. I turned the tv on and started to watch it. I said to myself "this can't be good".

The Space Shuttle explosion not the crappy lunch you were eating....right?

My Grandmother was the first to tell me after I got home from school. I remember her saying the ''Space Ship blew up''. I honestly thought she was off her rockers. I also remember teaching my grade 5 class on 9/11 and the principal coming to my class to warn me that way have to evacuate the school because New York may had been attacked by what looked like missiles. First impressions are often very misleading.

I remember it clearly. I was in college at the time. I was in the bathroom of our dorm suite (6 rooms around a central living room and bathroom) and the TV was on in the living room. I heard one of my suitemates say "Holy shit! The shuttle blew up!" I remember saying something about him making a joke in poor taste, and he said "No, it's true! Come here!"

It's weird the things you remember versus those you don't, even after decades.

I remember where I was when Reagan was shot by John Hinkley in 1981.

I remember where I was when the OJ verdict was revealed.

I remember where I was when I first heard/saw the 9/11 muslim terrorist attacks.

-Dan

Like Keith I was in tenth grade as well, and No I didn't see it live?? But someone asked Me if I heard what happened to the shuttle?? And, I, being the smartass I was and still am, answered with.. "No, did it blow up???" When I was told Yes it did?? I was stunned.....

• 2023 Gold Donors

Like Dan said, it's weird how you remember where you were at during certain events in your life. I was in 10th grade and we had a severe snow storm and got to stay home. I was flipping through the channels on the tv and came across it on the news. Couldn't believe it.