2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

I thought Nigeria were a bit unlucky today. Yes, Argentina were the better side, but I think the commentators went way overboard in their praise - it wasn't that comfortable, Nigeria, looked very dangerous on the break, had a few chances, but lacked the killer instinct. Argentina have great attacking players, but look vulnerable when they don't have possession. Great game though.

Roll on England! england.gif

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Nigeria were a bit unlucky today. Yes, Argentina were the better side, but I think the commentators went way overboard in their praise - it wasn't that comfortable, Nigeria, looked very dangerous on the break, had a few chances, but lacked the killer instinct. Argentina have great attacking players, but look vulnerable when they don't have possession. Great game though.

Roll on England! england.gif

Agreed......

Congrats to the U.S. on the 1-1 draw with England, and a big :tumbsup: to our man of the match....

Robert Green

:whistle:

Well, that's one of the things I hate most about watching football - England destroyed the US in terms of quality of play and possession, but drew 1-1. Admittedly we have a striker who does not score, and although he played well, it's ridiculous that his goals record is so dreadful. He had an incredible chance and contrary to what the commentators would have us believe, it was not a great save, but a terrible shot. Clean through with the whole goal to aim at, shooting straight into the keeper's midriff is pathetic. Performance-wise, very happy with England, I haven't seen a better team at the World Cup so far (only 5 games in though). Result-wise, I'm bloody fuming though. :doh:

South Korea 2 Greece 0

The Korean's were competant enough,but the Greeks.....

IMO.Would struggle in a decent amateur league,after that display !!!!!!!!

Yeah... the German trainer who is 150 years old must leave. He fucked off the team.

Argentina could have won 4 or 5-0 against Nigeria but they are not quick enough they will have a lot of problems against teams with tighter defences...

The USA-England match reminds me the 1st match Mexico - South Africa. Mexico has lost many chances on 1st half & they should feel lucky because they didn't loose in the end (post in the 90' for South Africa). England has lost many tet-a-tets & USA was very close to steal the win with their post in the last minutes...

Congrats to the U.S. on the 1-1 draw with England, and a big :tumbsup: to our man of the match....

Robert Green

:whistle:

He's being called the Bill Buckner of soccer!! :whistle:

Well, that's one of the things I hate most about watching football - England destroyed the US in terms of quality of play and possession, but drew 1-1. Admittedly we have a striker who does not score, and although he played well, it's ridiculous that his goals record is so dreadful. He had an incredible chance and contrary to what the commentators would have us believe, it was not a great save, but a terrible shot. Clean through with the whole goal to aim at, shooting straight into the keeper's midriff is pathetic. Performance-wise, very happy with England, I haven't seen a better team at the World Cup so far (only 5 games in though). Result-wise, I'm bloody fuming though. :doh:

I can only agree with James here.....Spot on !!!!!!! As usual,as soon as Gerrard scored.the ITV commentators put the "mockers" on it."After scoring so early,we should get a few more" was their informed comment !! As soon as that was said,Tom and I looked at each other and just sighed,cos you know damn-well "Colin cock-up is going to come calling",and true-to-form it happened.We should have won,but the "We're England" arrogance started and Green at least saved,via the woodwork,what could've been a U.S. winner.Heskey did play well,but I would've started with Crouch,as for King,a great player,but an injury liability.Hopefully lessons will have been learnt,and I wish we'd played Greece..... :whistle:

I can only agree with James here.....Spot on !!!!!!! As usual,as soon as Gerrard scored.the ITV commentators put the "mockers" on it."After scoring so early,we should get a few more" was their informed comment !! As soon as that was said,Tom and I looked at each other and just sighed,cos you know damn-well "Colin cock-up is going to come calling",and true-to-form it happened.We should have won,but the "We're England" arrogance started and Green at least saved,via the woodwork,what could've been a U.S. winner.Heskey did play well,but I would've started with Crouch,as for King,a great player,but an injury liability.Hopefully lessons will have been learnt,and I wish we'd played Greece..... :whistle:

LOL! We are not the worst team of the tournament (yet...) France & Uruguay were really bad. But the usual English arrogance & snobism striked again that's why you didn't win. But that Heskey didn't know that the aim in soccer is NOT to target the goalkeeper???

LOL! We are not the worst team of the tournament (yet...) France & Uruguay were really bad. But the usual English arrogance & snobism striked again that's why you didn't win. But that Heskey didn't know that the aim in soccer is NOT to target the goalkeeper???

LOL...Look,Heskey has made a career out of being a "target-man",but even so,"target-men",should at least score when given a decent chance.The fact he didn't doesn't come as a great surprise.........First up today..

Algeria v Slovenia.

LOL...Look,Heskey has made a career out of being a "target-man",but even so,"target-men",should at least score when given a decent chance.The fact he didn't doesn't come as a great surprise.........First up today..

Algeria v Slovenia.

I agree with you... today I can't see a very interesting match I think Algeria will loose, Germany will win so the only interesting match is Servia - Ghana as I can clearly remember what Ghana did in the previous mundial against Czech Republic & USA...

Heskey should have just lifted it over the goalkeeper. Poor effort really. But what do you expect?? Cant really believe that Heskey is still being given chances after his amazingly poor international career.

They should play Rooney up front with Gerrard in the hole.

Anyway we'll still go through in top spot cos we'll bang more past Slovenia and Algeria than the States.

Green needs shooting tho. James for game 2 or will he stick with Green? Interesting one.........

And of course ITV missed England's goal because they stopped for adverts!! (again...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YHr7jZsxg&feature=player_embedded

Only on the HD service mate....all was fine otherwise.

BUT

10 minutes before the game we had a power cut here, me, Ben and the missus all had our face paint on and we're sat in front of the TV snacks were ready, drinks ... flags were poised for waving and the power goes off. I stuck my head over the fence and the whole street was out!!!!!! I'm panicking and looking for the electricity boards number spouting stuff like "this is Ben's 1st world cup match (being 7 he doesn't remember the last world cup)...it's a defining moment in his life he can't miss this" hahaha, anyway the power came back as the anthems started playing...phew! Too close a call in my book!

Well, Slovenia's win today puts the pressure squarely on England & the U.S. to win their remaining two matches. Shouldn't be a problem, but you never know....

Serbia literally handed the game to Ghana this morning; huge mistake from Kuzmanovic.

Looking forward to Australia v Germany in less than two hours! :banana:

Heskey should have just lifted it over the goalkeeper. Poor effort really. But what do you expect?? Cant really believe that Heskey is still being given chances after his amazingly poor international career.

They should play Rooney up front with Gerrard in the hole.

Anyway we'll still go through in top spot cos we'll bang more past Slovenia and Algeria than the States.

Green needs shooting tho. James for game 2 or will he stick with Green? Interesting one.........

Heskey still gets the "nod" cos of how well he played with Owen in the dim and distant past.If you are going with a "big man" go with Crouch,or as Glen says,use Gerrard just behind Rooney.

The other two games were "snore-fests",but the one that concerns us should hold no problems,but last night shows we can't take anything for granted......

And of course ITV missed England's goal because they stopped for adverts!! (again...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6YHr7jZsxg&feature=player_embedded

Only on the HD service mate....all was fine otherwise.

BUT

10 minutes before the game we had a power cut here, me, Ben and the missus all had our face paint on and we're sat in front of the TV snacks were ready, drinks ... flags were poised for waving and the power goes off. I stuck my head over the fence and the whole street was out!!!!!! I'm panicking and looking for the electricity boards number spouting stuff like "this is Ben's 1st world cup match (being 7 he doesn't remember the last world cup)...it's a defining moment in his life he can't miss this" hahaha, anyway the power came back as the anthems started playing...phew! Too close a call in my book!

The result was the same brother. They fucked the whole thing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDJolBRSHk&feature=fvst

:christmas:

I agree with you... today I can't see a very interesting match I think Algeria will loose, Germany will win so the only interesting match is Servia - Ghana as I can clearly remember what Ghana did in the previous mundial against Czech Republic & USA...

Hmm... better bet on next matches to get some cash???? :whistle:

Didn't see Ghana play, but remember watching them in the previous World Cup - Essien and Appiah were awesome in midfield, as good as any midfield I saw. They played well against Brazil in the 2nd round, but Essien was suspended and they missed him badly. He makes such a huge difference; I think they could have had a good run, but with him injured for this tournament they probably won't go very far.

Germany this evening were sometimes great, sometimes very lucky; played some lovely football, but Australia wasted some good chances, then the referee effectively killed the game with a pathetic, ridiculous decision to send off Cahill. Personally, I don't think we've seen this year's winners yet, but we'll see.

4-0 .....Shit, this is going to be a short visit to Sth Africa.....No need to unpack the suitcases !!!!

4-0 .....Shit, this is going to be a short visit to Sth Africa.....No need to unpack the suitcases !!!!

Yeah but your form coming in wasn't good either, and the loss to the USA last week was pretty heavy. Germany do exactly what England should do, quicken the pace and vary things from time-to-time. They did it 4 times and scored 4 goals. Without the lumbering Ballack they look a better side IMO...

Yeah but your form coming in wasn't good either, and the loss to the USA last week was pretty heavy. Germany do exactly what England should do, quicken the pace and vary things from time-to-time. They did it 4 times and scored 4 goals. Without the lumbering Ballack they look a better side IMO...

Agreed !!!!

Agreed !!!!

Yep, I agree as well, and I must say that I was pretty surprised - in a positive way - how well Germany performed and how little Ballack actually was missed.

The ref was a little easy on the cards, though, especially on the red one.

Agreed !!!!

Yep, I agree as well, and I must say that I was pretty surprised - in a positive way - how well Germany performed and how little Ballack actually was missed.

Ballack just slows your game down. He's a top-quality passer/play-maker (like we have Lampard) but he just kills the pace of the team, and without him you counter much quicker - which is what caught the Aussies out of position. This is why Chelsea needed to ditch him - as players with pace, like Anelka, were really suffering - and why Germany play with more tempo with Ozil instead of Ballack. This is the same reason why England played so poorly in the opening game and had no pace, they need to ditch two wingers and play Barry/Lampard/Gerrard together and let them inject the pace that so lacked in the first game...

Agreed !!!!

Ballack just slows your game down. He's a top-quality passer/play-maker (like we have Lampard) but he just kills the pace of the team, and without him you counter much quicker - which is what caught the Aussies out of position. This is why Chelsea needed to ditch him - as players with pace, like Anelka, were really suffering - and why Germany play with more tempo with Ozil instead of Ballack. This is the same reason why England played so poorly in the opening game and had no pace, they need to ditch two wingers and play Barry/Lampard/Gerrard together and let them inject the pace that so lacked in the first game...

Yeah, fair enough Germany played well, but lets face it they were playing an Aussie side completely out of their depth (even before the sending off). You could have driven a bus through their defence.

Personally I feel Germany didnt play that well, as the result should have been 8-0. Klosse in particular cannot afford to miss chances like that, when they play better opposition.

Cant see them getting past Argentina in the quarters. IMO