Chris Laney - 'Pure'

Geoff

Just spinning this now and this is one of the best peices of music I've heard this year. It's kicking my ass. Imagine a ballsier, harder rocking Michael Morales mixed with bands like Zan Clan and Shotgun Messiah and you have an idea of what we have here.

Samples here - http://www.theomegaorder.com/s.nl/it.A/id.23936/.f

And here - http://www.myspace.com/chrislaney

'I Hate Yer Guts' (monster hard rocker) and 'Get U Down' (monster mid-tempo rocker) are my faves so far, but this is really, really good stuff.

Guitarist, vocalist, songwriter and producer, there's not much the multi-talented Chris Laney can't do. After helping others either as a musician or producer, or both, Laney strikes out on his own with 'Pure,' his debut solo album. With co-writers like Bruce Kulick and Mats Leven, as well as guest performances from members of Zan Clan, Hardcore Superstar, Shotgun Messiah and others, 'Pure' is a feast of colorful and diverse hard rock.

01. Situation

02. I Dunno

03. Make You Cry

04. The Stranger In You

05. Fire & Ice

06. I Hate Yer Guts

07. Get U Down

08. Pissed At What Ya Missed

09. Make My Day

10. Last Man Standing

11. Skin On Skin

12. Pride B 4 The Fall

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No i cant imagine Michael Morales mixed with Zan CLan... how the hell does that happen?!

Killer uptempo hard rock with significant balls, but real big backing vocals in the choruses, remeniscent of Michal Morales' 2nd and 3rd albums. Own this. You'll dig it. I guess Crazy Lixx is another decent comparison.

Early tip for one of the albums of the year, appealing to all from glam thru to metal fans.

Only heard samples so far, but hopefully the disc is in the mail.

Possibly already at number 2 on my best of 2009 list.

another from outta nowhere must buy album of 2009 :beerbang:

Yeah, it looks like a few guys knew who this guy was but the best thing about this is I have no idea who he is and I had no idea to expect anything good from this disc. Man I love a good surprise.

another from outta nowhere must buy album of 2009 :beerbang:

Yeah, it looks like a few guys knew who this guy was but the best thing about this is I have no idea who he is and I had no idea to expect anything good from this disc. Man I love a good surprise.

spot on , G, love surprises like these.... rally re energises my passion for music all over again.. :beerbang:

No i cant imagine Michael Morales mixed with Zan CLan... how the hell does that happen?!

Killer uptempo hard rock with significant balls, but real big backing vocals in the choruses, remeniscent of Michal Morales' 2nd and 3rd albums. Own this. You'll dig it. I guess Crazy Lixx is another decent comparison.

Now you've got me interested, Michael Morales is awesome (never heard of Crazy Lixx). The song titles look a bit shit too, you got any other comparators?

Now you've got me interested, Michael Morales is awesome (never heard of Crazy Lixx). The song titles look a bit shit too, you got any other comparators?

I might need to backpedal a bit on the Morales comparison. It was just the style of the vocals in the chorus that made me say that, but musically this is 10 times harder rocking than the ballsiest Morales. Not sure you'll dig this one, mate. Maybe a bit "hair metal"-ish for you? Try the samples, but yeah, not too sure you'll dig this. :) I'm sure you'll like 'Get U Down' but not sure about the rest.

Other comparisons? Maybe Gemini Five mixed with Eclipse's new harder rocking side?

Agree 100%, but then again I've been a fan of Laney's work for quite a long time now...

My fave so far is "Pissed at what you missed"!

Yeah, that's my 3rd favourite song. Killer track.

I'm going out on a limb here and stating that I though this cd had waaaay too many fillers on it. I love the track "I Dunno" but that is really about the only single I would even burn off this thing. I like Chris Laney too. He's got potential out the a-hole. Sure, there's a couple of other good tracks, but overall I thought this thing sounded like a second-rate Johnny Lima cd. There, I said it, now I must prepare to be stoned.

Oh dear........that Crazy Lixx album is awesome, sleazy hard rock.

Damn, I LOVE, LOVE Crazy Lixx and this one is so good. So good. The backing and chorus vocals are HUGE on this one. Stellar. Agree with Geoff on this one, great album.

I'm going out on a limb here and stating that I though this cd had waaaay too many fillers on it. I love the track "I Dunno" but that is really about the only single I would even burn off this thing. I like Chris Laney too. He's got potential out the a-hole. Sure, there's a couple of other good tracks, but overall I thought this thing sounded like a second-rate Johnny Lima cd. There, I said it, now I must prepare to be stoned.

I'm with you.....does nothing at all for me :whistle:

A second-rate Johnny Lima? How is that even possible? Johnny Lima is a second-rate anyone good to begin with. :P You must really hate this one to be that cruel. :(

Damn, I LOVE, LOVE Crazy Lixx and this one is so good. So good. The backing and chorus vocals are HUGE on this one. Stellar. Agree with Geoff on this one, great album.

So this is as good as Crazy Lixx? Maybe I should check this one out. :unsure:

So this is as good as Crazy Lixx? Maybe I should check this one out. :unsure:

You'll like this one, mate. I'm sure of it.

A second-rate Johnny Lima? How is that even possible? Johnny Lima is a second-rate anyone good to begin with. :P You must really hate this one to be that cruel. :(

Johnny Lima is Da Bomb! That guy writes a chorus that'll stick in your head even while you're sleeping. As for Laney, I had high high hopes after his track "Instinct Animal" which sadly didn't even make it on his album. I still like Laney, he just needs to get Jack Ponti and Beau Hill on board during his writing sessions. :P

Johnny Lima is Da Bomb! That guy writes a chorus that'll stick in your head even while you're sleeping. As for Laney, I had high high hopes after his track "Instinct Animal" which sadly didn't even make it on his album. I still like Laney, he just needs to get Jack Ponti and Beau Hill on board during his writing sessions. :P

Haha... fair enough mate. In all honesty, though, I'd take this release over any Lima release any day of the week (except maybe the Attitude demos). I still just don't really like that guy... Everything about his music is just painfully average, imo.

Tha samples sound great. Something about it make me think this is what Shotgun Messiah should have released after Second Coming, similar melodic glammy hard rock with some sleazy styled vocals.

I agree with Geoff, Johnny Lima is just way too much like Bon Jovi and average at best. His songs are catchy at first and then very forgetful. I still enjoy that song about a chick dumping him for another chick, cool nu-breed track that reminds me of something Danger Danger would do.