Chris Laney - 'Pure'

Geoff

I'm going out on a limb here and stating that I though this cd had waaaay too many fillers on it. I love the track "I Dunno" but that is really about the only single I would even burn off this thing. I like Chris Laney too. He's got potential out the a-hole. Sure, there's a couple of other good tracks, but overall I thought this thing sounded like a second-rate Johnny Lima cd. There, I said it, now I must prepare to be stoned.

A second-rate Johnny Lima? How is that even possible? Johnny Lima is a second-rate anyone good to begin with. :P You must really hate this one to be that cruel. :(

Johnny Lima is Da Bomb! That guy writes a chorus that'll stick in your head even while you're sleeping. As for Laney, I had high high hopes after his track "Instinct Animal" which sadly didn't even make it on his album. I still like Laney, he just needs to get Jack Ponti and Beau Hill on board during his writing sessions. :P

I'd take this release over any Lima release any day of the week (except maybe the Attitude demos). I

Attitude demos??

I still enjoy that song about a chick dumping him for another chick, cool nu-breed track that reminds me of something Danger Danger would do.

What song is that?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tha samples sound great. Something about it make me think this is what Shotgun Messiah should have released after Second Coming, similar melodic glammy hard rock with some sleazy styled vocals.

I agree with Geoff, Johnny Lima is just way too much like Bon Jovi and average at best. His songs are catchy at first and then very forgetful. I still enjoy that song about a chick dumping him for another chick, cool nu-breed track that reminds me of something Danger Danger would do.

That and 'Something about you' are pretty much the only good songs he ever recorded... post-Attitude.

Attitude demos??

I think it's called 'The shitty demo' or something. Attitude was Johnny Lima's band from late 80's or early 90's. They were actually very good.

• 7 months later...
Chris Laney is already in Pre-Production mode for the follow-up, probably out around April 2010 I guess! Looking very much forward to it!

Nice. That is awesome news. Love this debut!!! I hope he can match it.

Tha samples sound great. Something about it make me think this is what Shotgun Messiah should have released after Second Coming, similar melodic glammy hard rock with some sleazy styled vocals.

I agree with Geoff, Johnny Lima is just way too much like Bon Jovi and average at best. His songs are catchy at first and then very forgetful. I still enjoy that song about a chick dumping him for another chick, cool nu-breed track that reminds me of something Danger Danger would do.

That and 'Something about you' are pretty much the only good songs he ever recorded... post-Attitude.

Geoff, I hope u posted that prior to the release of 'Livin Out Loud' ???!

IMO 'Caught In The Middle' and 'Hate To Love You' are 2 of THE best tracks this year.......awesome stuff, and whilst we are comparing him to JBJ, those 2 tracks absolutely CRUCIFY any track on 'The Circle' and then some.........

and getting back on topic they also crucify ANY track on the Chris Laney debut. :tumbsup:

Cheers

IMO 'Caught In The Middle' and 'Hate To Love You' are 2 of THE best tracks this year.......awesome stuff, and whilst we are comparing him to JBJ, those 2 tracks absolutely CRUCIFY any track on 'The Circle' and then some.........

and getting back on topic they also crucify ANY track on the Chris Laney debut. :tumbsup:

Cheers

:lol: Ah, you're a good jester my buddy. It was written prior to hearing the new CD and I'm glad to say he's now written 3 good songs in his career (except the ones for Dirty Penny which he seems to be able to write good tunes for)! :lol:

I agree, 'Caught in the middle' is a great song (Which one was 'Hate to love you'? :lol: No, I kid. It does have a droning hook I do remember, but not with any joy) but it's about the only one on the new CD. A lot of decent ones, but only one gem. To compare Lima's songs to the likes of any single song off the Laney CD, especially gems like 'Fire and Ice', 'Pissed at what ya missed', 'I Hate Yer Guts' or 'Get U Down' is completely laughable. Sorry mate. I wish there was a discussion to be had here but there's no comparison imo. Laney's still in my top 10 and I don't think Lima's even in my top 70? I don't even know... or care.

As for Bon Jovi compared to Lima. I think I'd still take 'The Circle'. Lima just fails to interest me for more than 2 or 3 listens.

Cheers

:lol: Ah, you're a good jester my buddy. It was written prior to hearing the new CD and I'm glad to say he's now written 3 good songs in his career (except the ones for Dirty Penny which he seems to be able to write good tunes for)! :lol:

I agree, 'Caught in the middle' is a great song (Which one was 'Hate to love you'? :lol: No, I kid. It does have a droning hook I do remember, but not with any joy) but it's about the only one on the new CD. A lot of decent ones, but only one gem. To compare Lima's songs to the likes of any single song off the Laney CD, especially gems like 'Fire and Ice', 'Pissed at what ya missed', 'I Hate Yer Guts' or 'Get U Down' is completely laughable. Sorry mate. I wish there was a discussion to be had here but there's no comparison imo. Laney's still in my top 10 and I don't think Lima's even in my top 70? I don't even know... or care.

As for Bon Jovi compared to Lima. I think I'd still take 'The Circle'. Lima just fails to interest me for more than 2 or 3 listens.

Sorry mate but those 2 Lima songs are at least as good if not better than any of those 4 Laney songs you mention. 'Get U Down' is probably the only one which comes close.

As for 'the circle' - yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn. As I said JBJ would give his left nut to write a song as rocking and cool as 'Hate To Love You'.

Hasnt anyone else got an opinion on this??

I'd pick Chris Laney over Johnny Lima anyday. Like Geoff, I just can't get into Lima, I should love it, evrything points to me being a big Lima fan, but no.

I'd pick Chris Laney over Johnny Lima anyday. Like Geoff, I just can't get into Lima, I should love it, evrything points to me being a big Lima fan, but no.

Backed 100%. Nothing stuck on the Lima at all (before I got rid of it).

Backed 100%. Nothing stuck on the Lima at all (before I got rid of it).

Laney is a rocker -Lima is well a good coaster for my Budweiser..........

:lol: Sorry Glen. Like I said, if thought it was a legitimate contest I could offer more discussion but you're comparing Amy Reid to Rosie O'Donnell here mate.

Tish and pish to all of you........those 2 songs are still great. I cant help it if you creeps cant recognise an excellent song now can i ?? ;-))

One is the loneliest number.

but you're comparing Amy Reid to Rosie O'Donnell here mate.

:yikes:

:rofl2: :rofl2:

Cheers

Backed I'll take Lima any day over Laney especially if you are talking about Lima's earlier material!!

Tish and pish to all of you........those 2 songs are still great. I cant help it if you creeps cant recognise an excellent song now can i ?? ;-))

I half agree with you - one of those songs is great. But what about the rest of the album? Laney had a whole album full of them. ;)

I half agree with you - one of those songs is great. But what about the rest of the album? Laney had a whole album full of them. ;)

if you read my original post, i was replying to you saying he only had 2 good songs.

In fairness, overall the Laney album is better............but i stand by the fact that those 2 songs are better than anything on Laney. Both excellent tunes for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...