Anyone into these?

Nelson

I've been noticing since last year these Metal(?) sub-genres that I know nothing about. Terms like DEATHCORE, MALLCORE, DEATHCORE, SCREAMO, (add anything that I may have forgotten) just make me scratch my head and make me realize that I don't know the extreme music of today (Probably because of my age :christmas: ).

Anyone here into these kind of music(?)? And more importantly, can you differentiate these to the ones that we're listening to?

Generally, I find anything with the "-core" suffix is to be avoided like an explosive device. :gone:

(Lone exception: old school '80s hardcore)

Generally, I find anything with the "-core" suffix is to be avoided like an explosive device. :gone:

Mallcore sounds underwhelming.

What the heck does that mean? Mallcore. Something played in malls....? :wacko:

The kind of stuff that kids who hang out in malls listen to. (i.e. the Hot Topic crowd)

The kind of stuff that kids who hang out in malls listen to. (i.e. the Hot Topic crowd)

OH! I call that Shitcore. :)

I would love to start a mosh pit in the mall and take out a few old ladies!! :dance:

I've been noticing since last year these Metal(?) sub-genres that I know nothing about. Terms like DEATHCORE, MALLCORE, DEATHCORE, SCREAMO, (add anything that I may have forgotten) just make me scratch my head and make me realize that I don't know the extreme music of today (Probably because of my age :christmas: ).

Anyone here into these kind of music(?)? And more importantly, can you differentiate these to the ones that we're listening to?

Yes! You forgot MATHCORE! (The Dillinger Escape Plan) My musical tastes are pretty broad & have tended to move with the times so I just don't listen to the 80's/90's stuff anymore. I actually really respect all the bands of today that make this music as technically they're as good as anything from the last century. Bands with 'Core' in the title obviously mean they're a crossover of Metal/Death with Hardcore, so you get screaming vocals (often with clean-sung choruses on the more mainstream acts - see Killswitch/As I Lay Dying etc), jarring rythms with little or no lead-guitar, & crushing breakdowns.

Frankly I LOVE Deathcore, even more so than the 80's Death Metal I grew up on (bands like Morbid Angel/Cannibal Corpse/Deicide/Suffocation). It's heavier, crunchier, groovier, & whereas they're all kids they can seriously play. JOB FOR A COWBOY/THE RED SHORE/PARKWAY DRIVE/DEAD TO FALL/CRYPTOPSY/SUICIDE SILENCE/BENEATH THE MASSACRE - are all awesome Deathcore bands that fucking slay. :beerbang: Whereas the old-school bands or fans don't really like this stuff (there was nearly WWIII when Cryptopsy's new album had some clean vocals on it - therefore shifting them from Death Metal to Deathcore) there is no escaping that this type of music is selling more records than Death Metal ever did...

Yes! You forgot MATHCORE! (The Dillinger Escape Plan)

Oh, yes! I've read about The Dillinger Escape Plan and Ben Weinman. He's included in the 50 FASTEST GUITARIST list by Guitar World (July 2008). But I read the words "hardcore punk" and that kinda blow it for me. I guess I'm kind of a bigot when it comes to musical terms like that and I know I have to overcome that. Though I know I won't be buying a CD of that band not because of my bigotry but because of my (again) luck of fund, I'm beginning to think I would like to hear this MATHCORE.

• 2 months later...

My thoughts exactly. If it has the extension "-core" at the end, it's poison for most people into the whole spectrum of melodic metal subgenres. I'm serious!

there is no escaping that this type of music is selling more records than Death Metal ever did...

Whenever I read statements like that I want to die laughing. Selling a bunch of records does not mean the music is good. Boy bands, pop queens, and rappers sell shitloads of albums. Doesn't mean any of it is worth a shit...

I'm not gonna rip on the "-core" bands. I don't care for 99.99% of them, but to each his own. However, you might want to stop using "they sell a bunch of records" as your argument for these groups.

Ive always been partial to De-Core!

there is no escaping that this type of music is selling more records than Death Metal ever did...

Whenever I read statements like that I want to die laughing. Selling a bunch of records does not mean the music is good. Boy bands, pop queens, and rappers sell shitloads of albums. Doesn't mean any of it is worth a shit...

I'm not gonna rip on the "-core" bands. I don't care for 99.99% of them, but to each his own. However, you might want to stop using "they sell a bunch of records" as your argument for these groups.

What the hell is wrong with Pop-Core??? and how could you not get into the blistering sounds of Alterna-Core or Jazz-Core????