Would you rather your favorite band............

There's too many for's and too many againsts to say either way as a rule.

Tesla and Loud N' Clear sure as hell succeeded in keeping their old sound but also making relevant and current albums.

A million other bands changed their style and the majority failed. If every band could do what Tesla and Loud N' Clear did I would be happy. I don't mind an updated sound, as long as there's no doubt that it's still the band you know and remember.

I think that if Sebastian Bach would of been in Skid Row when they recorded Thickskin they would've had a chance of some success.

Yeah, 'Thickskin' is another good example. Even without Bach. Good disc.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tesla and Loud N' Clear sure as hell succeeded in keeping their old sound but also making relevant and current albums.

A million other bands changed their style and the majority failed. If every band could do what Tesla and Loud N' Clear did I would be happy. I don't mind an updated sound, as long as there's no doubt that it's still the band you know and remember.

I think that if Sebastian Bach would of been in Skid Row when they recorded Thickskin they would've had a chance of some success.

Yeah I liked it too but they were still on Atlantic records I think almost up until that album was released.

If Bas was still in the band they probably could of remained on a Major and gotten a good push.

yes i noticed....

shows i got a good memory though :D

Yes H&H is my fav and know it doesn't sound as slow and heavy as the old Sabbath but it still retained enough of that Heavy Metal sound and added in more melody and much better lyrics and vocals IMO.

And the follow up "Mob Rules" is every bit as good as "Heaven & Hell".

yes i noticed....

Yes H&H is my fav and know it doesn't sound as slow and heavy as the old Sabbath but it still retained enough of that Heavy Metal sound and added in more melody and much better lyrics and vocals IMO.

Wes - You have the 'Don't Call Me Bud' disc - Awesome mate :bowdown:. For that you may call me 'Dude' as well.

yes i noticed....

Wes - You have the 'Don't Call Me Bud' disc - Awesome mate :bowdown:. For that you may call me 'Dude' as well.

Yes I have that disc. Do you think I could get an autograph on it? :tumbsup:

yes i noticed....

Of course Bud dude - send her over and I will mark her with my delicious 'X'

yes i noticed....

Of course Bud dude - send her over and I will mark her with my delicious 'X'

As long as it's not Def Leppards "X'.

Yeah I liked it too but they were still on Atlantic records I think almost up until that album was released.

If Bas was still in the band they probably could of remained on a Major and gotten a good push.

It would have been interesting to see.

As a kid I always told my brothers that if Poison released a new album it'd still get a decent push. I guess they have no one to blame but themselves for releasing 'Hollyweird'. They really made it impossible for anyone in their right mind to push that disc.

But it brings up an interesting point. As Poison were undoubtedly 'bigger' than Skid Row at their prime, do you think if Poison would actually have released a 'normal' album with Capitol they'd still have received a push?

do you think if Poison would actually have released a 'normal' album with Capitol they'd still have received a push?

'normal' being what, good? :whistle:

You might have guessed this, but I like bands to move on. I have enough great albums from the 80's/90's & if bands are just going to make 2nd rate versions of those albums in 2008 then I'd rather listen to the originals & prefer if they at least took a risk....

It would have been interesting to see.

As a kid I always told my brothers that if Poison released a new album it'd still get a decent push. I guess they have no one to blame but themselves for releasing 'Hollyweird'. They really made it impossible for anyone in their right mind to push that disc.

But it brings up an interesting point. As Poison were undoubtedly 'bigger' than Skid Row at their prime, do you think if Poison would actually have released a 'normal' album with Capitol they'd still have received a push?

Well Capitol should of released "Crack a Smile" when it was finished but instead released the "Greatest Hits" which has sold something like two million copies since. So I doubt Capitol sees that decision as a bad one.

But knowing that album was out there and having heard it before it was finally released I thought the label was out of their minds. I'd say that if the band were on Capitol or any other Major when they were working on Hollyweird that they wouldn't of released that pile of crap and made the band write new songs or brought in outside songwriters.

yet ive never heard of Loud N' Clear but i was listening to Bon Jovi when i was 13...

i think you need to find a balance between sticking to your roots and success....all the greats have changed their sound over the years (funny that Wes' fave album is Heaven and Hell, thats a different sound to what Black Sabbath were originally)

Black Sabbath with DIO is a totally different band than Black Sabbath with crap ass Ozzy...

The With DIO they FUCKING Rock... the latter sucks...IMO

• 2023 Gold Donors
see, all those bands you mentioned only seem to tour the states...

id love to see alot of those older bands but unless theyre Bon Jovi or Motley Crue, they never come over here!

I know what you mean-Id like to see "Saxon","Primal Fear" & a few other great european bands come over to the states for an extended tour and not just a couple of shows and bolt.A bit hard to try to get over to "Wacken" if ya know what i mean.

yet ive never heard of Loud N' Clear but i was listening to Bon Jovi when i was 13...

i think you need to find a balance between sticking to your roots and success....all the greats have changed their sound over the years (funny that Wes' fave album is Heaven and Hell, thats a different sound to what Black Sabbath were originally)

Black Sabbath with DIO is a totally different band than Black Sabbath with crap ass Ozzy...

The With DIO they FUCKING Rock... the latter sucks...IMO

exactly, yet if sabbath stuck to their sound....you wouldnt get heaven and hell.

so change is a good thing, you want the old sound....listen to an old album, you want to listen to the new sound, listen to a new album.

i think its cool for one band to cover more than one style..

Aerosmith - Yeah I like them to change and grow...but not in the overly MTV poppy direction they have done. Someone needs to grab the reins again and put an end to this shenanigans . FFS Joe Perrys last solo had more great diz bustin riffs than the last couple of Aerosmith studio albums.

Well my favorite band is Motorhead so I'm not real worried about change. Same style for 30 years and it ALL RULES!!!

Copy this post, replace "Motorhead" with "the Ramones" and you've got my take on the subject. :beerbang:

When you reunite and release a 100% departure of the sound people liked, how do you expect to be received?

I don't mind minor changes and growth but nothing major.....

That's the way I feel. Stick with what your fans want but don't be scared to add in some new flavors from time to time to keep things from getting stale.

That's the way I feel. Stick with what your fans want but don't be scared to add in some new flavors from time to time to keep things from getting stale.

last time a band used an outside flavour, people started saying theyd completely changed....

last time a band used an outside flavour, people started saying theyd completely changed....

Well I wouldn't want the new flavor to be anything remotely close to Country so when I say new flavor I'm meaning maybe a little heavier musically or a little darker lyrically or what Primal Fear has done with their last two albums by introducing a Symphonic sound to their Classic Metal.

so add a new flavour......as long as its of another style that you listen to.

if they change, even slightly....they will piss some of their fans off.

like i say, you can please some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time, but never all the people all of the time.

quote name='SamboraRocks86' date='Mar 19 2008, 07:23 PM' post='353985']

so add a new flavour......as long as its of another style that you listen to.

if they change, even slightly....they will piss some of their fans off.

like i say, you can please some of the people all the time and all the people some of the time, but never all the people all of the time.

Sure you can make the same album over and over and be successful like AC/DC and to a lesser degree Motorhead. But by doing that you can get stuck in a rut and do what some people around here feel like PC 69 has done and had four or five albums in a row that have sounded very "samey".

On the other side of that a band like Iron Maiden made a few albums that were very similar but then added Synthesizers on "Somewhere in Time" and "Seventh Son of a Seventh Son" and imo really added something cool and unique to their sound while still keeping most of their "signature sound". Sure there were some older fans that hated it but they also picked up many never fans. But after those two albums they tried to return to their older more raw sound and really took a step backwards on "No Prayer for the Dying" and even though "Fear of the Dark" was better it still wasn't near as good as the "Time" and "Seventh Son".

Of course when a band like say Warrant makes an album like "Belly to Belly" most of their fans went what the f#@k. The previous album "Ultraphobic" was heavier and darker than anything they had done while still keeping some of the elements that made previous Warrant albums great, but "Belly" pushed things a little to far for the majority of their fanbase.

Another case like Warrant is that of Dokken and their album "Shadowlife". They had made a great comeback album with "Dysfuntional" that added some heavier 90's element in with Classic Dokken Harmonies but then followed it up by pushing the envelope way to far and making what was a essentially a Grunge/Alternative Dokken album that 99.9% of their fans hated with a passion.