Would you rather your favorite band............

I think most of us as music fans are sometime way to hard on our favorite bands.

We to often hear a new album by a band we like and we immediately compare it to what we consider their best album, even if that album was recorded twenty years ago.

So is it better for your favorite band to tread water and stick with that familiar same sound or is it better to show growth by adding in new flavors?

Is there a way to do both?

I'm pretty sure there's a way to do both. As one example Tesla did it very well on "Into the Now".

Another example is Motley Crue who didn't do it so well on "Generation Swine" and Dokken who didn't fare so well with "Shadowlife". Of course Dokken did a great job of adding something new while retaining some of their classic elements on "Dysfunctional".

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But Motley had succeeded with the S/T album.

id love to see Bon Jovi releasing albums like S/T and 7800, but the truth is that if they did that.....theyd be harder to find, on indie labels.

youd have to hunt this music down, they wouldnt get any airplay, and theyd hardly tour outside the US.

i personallyprefer to hear them go through different styles and still be a commercial success, as it makes it alot easier for me as a fan.

besides, if i want old Jovi then illspin some old Jovi, or Blue Tears, or any of those other soundalikes....i think a band changing is a good thing, you get to see more than one side of the band.

But Motley had succeeded with the S/T album.

If you're talking about the Corabi fronted album from 1994 then that was a huge failure.

Yes it sold around 500,000 copies but after Dr. Feelgood sold 5 Million that was seen as a failure, especially considering how much they spent making that album.

"Swine" was the comback with the return of Vince and still didn't sell all that well and had a much different sound to what people expected. I'm guessing most expected the sound of Feelgood or Shout but got something entirely different. I guess the album wouldn't be as bad if Nikki and Tommy didn't feel the need to sing horrible songs.

see the problem is this....

you can stick to the sound you had in the 80s, and move from the mainstream to the indie labels.

or, you can change your sound, and take the chance that youll lose your previous fanbase and have to build a new one.

either way, its gonna be a risk for the band.

see the problem is this....

you can stick to the sound you had in the 80s, and move from the mainstream to the indie labels.

or, you can change your sound, and take the chance that youll lose your previous fanbase and have to build a new one.

either way, its gonna be a risk for the band.

Why can't you do both?

how do you change your sound while keeping the same sound?

Keep elements of your "Signature sound" while adding newer influences/production styles.

Like Tesla did on "Into the Now". It was a little heavier and had some newer production style but still had most of the classic Tesla sound.

Bon Jovi did that with Lost Highway if you ask me...

i still say that Whole Lotta Leavin Goin On coulda come out in the 80s if you replace the fingerpicked acoustic with synth strings. and We Got It Goin On and Summertime could easily be on Bounce (which although that isnt their signature sound, it is their signature sound for the millenium, just like Keep The Faith is what i imagine for 90s Jovi)

i pretty much reckon that a band like bon jovi, motley or kiss could record what ever they want to these days with out much record label interference. I think they just choose to record what they currently do.

Bands like Jovi, Motley, Kiss are gonna sell regardless of what they release, the record labels are releasing and selling the name more than what is on the disc. If these sorts of bands wanted to stay the same.. they could, however if they want to change, they can.

On the otherhand, bands that didn't survive the transition as well - Skid Row, Cinderella, Dokken, Britny Fox, ect... these calibre of bands would be at the mercy of record labels (if they wanted a deal).

If you're talking about the Corabi fronted album from 1994 then that was a huge failure.

In my eyes it was a HUGE success. Just in my eyes though :)

Oh I loved it but it failed commercially with them losing money and having to play to 1500 people on tour.

And just my opinion but Corabi's band Union blew away the Vince fronted Generation Swine album.

i love it personally, but like i say.....Motley fans wouldnt have expected it when they spun it....so it wouldnt have gotten many sales.

Crue fans probably didnt bother with it after reading how different it is and non crue fans probably gave it a miss and dismissed it as "an old 80s hair metal band"

and i cant think of any hair metal bands that have stuck to their sound and still have as much success as inthe 80s (like Jovi)

so theyre not all on indie labels, bands like Poison survived.....but theyre not as popular as they were and they sure as hell dont tour as much!

I just don't like when bands make a comeback/reunion disc, and it sounds NOTHING LIKE the old band.

Take JULLIET for instance. Absolutely LOVE their 1990 debut. WTF was that "Psycho Boyfriend" crap?!?!? That was hideous! :puke:

How about Winger? Or Europe? Or Britny Fox?

All made "return" discs..... all sounded nothing like the old band.

i love it personally, but like i say.....Motley fans wouldnt have expected it when they spun it....so it wouldnt have gotten many sales.

Crue fans probably didnt bother with it after reading how different it is and non crue fans probably gave it a miss and dismissed it as "an old 80s hair metal band"

and i cant think of any hair metal bands that have stuck to their sound and still have as much success as inthe 80s (like Jovi)

so theyre not all on indie labels, bands like Poison survived.....but theyre not as popular as they were and they sure as hell dont tour as much!

Poison has toured almost every summer since 1999.

maybe over there! ive never seen them advertised over here and ive been into the band for atleast 2 years now.

Only over here. But it's been like a yearly thing here since 1999, which is when the original lineup got back together. I saw them that summer with RATT(with Pearcy on vocals), Great White, and LA Guns with Jizzy Pearl on vocals. Of course by the end of that year Jizzy was fired from LA Guns for their reunion and shortly after that he replaced Stephen Pearcy in RATT.

I also saw them with Slaughter, Dokken and Cinderella.

see, all those bands you mentioned only seem to tour the states...

id love to see alot of those older bands but unless theyre Bon Jovi or Motley Crue, they never come over here!

LA Guns toured over there a few years ago without Tracii Guns.

I believe it was with Kerri Kelli and Brent Muscat(Faster Pussycat) on guitar.

There was a live review in Classic Rock and they were touring with Enuff Z Nuff.

I'm pretty sure that RATT has played shows over there in the last few years but I could be wrong.

I know when Jizzy was in RATT he took Love/Hate over there for a few shows.

LA Guns did tour...

i shoulda known that cause a friend of mine was a roadie for them, Traccii gave him his nickname "Jonnii Guns"

The LA Guns I was talking about didn't have Tracii, he was in Brides of Destruction at the time, which is where he should of stayed IMO.

There's too many for's and too many againsts to say either way as a rule.

Tesla and Loud N' Clear sure as hell succeeded in keeping their old sound but also making relevant and current albums.

A million other bands changed their style and the majority failed. If every band could do what Tesla and Loud N' Clear did I would be happy. I don't mind an updated sound, as long as there's no doubt that it's still the band you know and remember.

There's too many for's and too many againsts to say either way as a rule.

Tesla and Loud N' Clear sure as hell succeeded in keeping their old sound but also making relevant and current albums.

A million other bands changed their style and the majority failed. If every band could do what Tesla and Loud N' Clear did I would be happy. I don't mind an updated sound, as long as there's no doubt that it's still the band you know and remember.

I think that if Sebastian Bach would of been in Skid Row when they recorded Thickskin they would've had a chance of some success.

yet ive never heard of Loud N' Clear but i was listening to Bon Jovi when i was 13...

i think you need to find a balance between sticking to your roots and success....all the greats have changed their sound over the years (funny that Wes' fave album is Heaven and Hell, thats a different sound to what Black Sabbath were originally)

yet ive never heard of Loud N' Clear but i was listening to Bon Jovi when i was 13...

i think you need to find a balance between sticking to your roots and success....all the greats have changed their sound over the years (funny that Wes' fave album is Heaven and Hell, thats a different sound to what Black Sabbath were originally)

You need to look again at my profile. My favorite album is something totally different than what you have listed.