Would you rather your favorite band............

I don't think they lost their way at all...they simply became what they intended from the beginning...a Pop Rock band, and and a damn good one, IMO...

Exactly, just like Bon Jovi who always said they were never a particular style but just themselves. you cant lose your way when you dont have a way, so to speak :P

Agreed...Bon Jovi is another great band...These Days is my all time fave from them...

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Winger's 'IV' album would have fared just fine if it still had good songs. The departure in sound was not that extreme. It was the complete lack of any decent song that killed it.

I see what you're saying, but nothing can alter the fact that either a song is good or it's not. No amount of discography between albums can change that. :)

I agree. "IV" wasn't really that different in style from "Pull" (though maybe a touch more progressive) but the songs just weren't anywhere near strong enough - no hooks.

Europe were actually one of my favourite bands - after the incredible "Out of This World" & "Prisoners..." - who tried to make the change to Modern Rock, but left all their fans behind. I admire them for taking a chance, but again the songs were just nowhere near strong enough.

I don't think Europe tried to become so much "Modern Rock" as they just stripped away all the gloss and became a more hard-edged Rock band...

I still think Winger's 'IV' album would have fared just fine if it still had good songs. The departure in sound was not that extreme. It was the complete lack of any decent song that killed it.

I see what you're saying, but nothing can alter the fact that either a song is good or it's not. No amount of discography between albums can change that. :)

I agree. "IV" wasn't really that different in style from "Pull" (though maybe a touch more progressive) but the songs just weren't anywhere near strong enough - no hooks.

Europe were actually one of my favourite bands - after the incredible "Out of This World" & "Prisoners..." - who tried to make the change to Modern Rock, but left all their fans behind. I admire them for taking a chance, but again the songs were just nowhere near strong enough.

I don't think Europe tried to become so much "Modern Rock" as they just stripped away all the gloss and became a more hard-edged Rock band...

IMO they became a harder edged rock band on "Prisoners In Paradise". On "SFTD" they changed the guitar tuning, removed the melodic soloing, & used far fewer production/studio tricks to polish their sound.

Don't get me wrong, growth is good. Crucial if you want to actually sell records. But when you grow just try not to suck...

I don't think they lost their way at all...they simply became what they intended from the beginning...a Pop Rock band, and and a damn good one, IMO...

Exactly, just like Bon Jovi who always said they were never a particular style but just themselves. you cant lose your way when you dont have a way, so to speak :P

Agreed...Bon Jovi is another great band...These Days is my all time fave from them...

oh yeah defo, i love These Days as much as Slippery When Wet or the self-titled release, i dont think ones better than the other, theyre just different...

but if they had stuck to that sound on the first album, you'd have 10 albums that sounded the same, maybe a few changes....but whats the point?

i never got into Motorhead for that reason, it got really old, really quickly for me

oh and what happened to your Batman avatar Shawn? Batman kicks some ass :P

when you grow just try not to suck...

"Suck" is subjective. I think some bands just grow into a direction some fans just can't follow...they're not any worse or better...just not the same.

I like the new guy! :lol:

and i grew up on the batman cartoon and Keaton movies, now i buy all the comics :anon: