who on the board is the biggest country music fan?

I guess I'll raise my hand and say that I'm probably the biggest country music fan here. If I'm not I'm going to be shocked.

That depends, I guess. If you are talking about :bananamac: "Today's Best Country Hits!!!!!" :banana: then it's all yours. I cannot stand todays country music :yuck: . I'm a big big big classic country fan (going to see Merle Haggard in June btw). Some of the best beer drinking music ever invented!

I think Recordjnky would be. Me and Blue Tequila are completely the opposite. I cannot stand the old cryin in the beer twangy country stuff - but I can handle more of the AOR-tinged new stuff like Rascal Flatts , Keith Urban and even some lesser knowns like Restless Heart , Blackhawk , Buffalo Club , Western Flyer.

i think it could be me as i have been playing in country bands for the past 15 years. Right now i am in the house band at Toby Keiths bar in Harrahs in Vegas.

But i was never a big fan of the old crap like Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Ray Price, Kris Kristofferson or Johnny Cash. Just not my thing although i can appreciate it. AOR is my first love which is why i love newer country bands like Rascal Flatts, Keith Urban, Emerson Drive, Dierks Bentley - not to mention all those great country vocal bands that came out in the 80s and 90s that were/are borderline AOR.

Peace out,

Recordjnky

Shit thats hard to say..... Mustang just how big a fan are you. I bet we are close as half my collection is country and I like it all the way back and all the way up today. However im opposite Sam as I dont care much for those bands. I tend to lean more toward the female vocalists.

I'd say we are pretty close but 1/2 my collection isn't country but their is a reason for that. I didn't really explode in the buying marked till after about 95 and then I was looking for lost gems in the hard rock catagories. I was a big part of the 90's country movement though and bought a lot there and I go back to the 70's stuff too. loved those old songs I heard growing up with. I may not be the biggest fan on the board after all but I'm darn close to the top I guess :bananamac::banana:

Country: ickypoo... with a few exceptions. I've always loved "Restless Heart" but they're really more AOR than country, IMO... more Eaglesesque which bridges the gap. Little Texas and 4-Runner had some moments as well.

For some inexplicable reason, I've been getting into a lot of bluegrass music lately. Not entirely sure why... not so much vocally, but instrumentally, with the interaction and complexity between banjo, mandolin, and violin. There's some serious kick-ass musicianship there.

-Dan

My wife loves country music and as far as "other" (i.e. non-hard rock/metal) styles, it's probably the genre I can appreciate most. My parents were country fans while I was growing up too, so I've pretty much been hearing it my whole life...

I can't STAND some of the country singers my wife likes (Garth Brooks must be killed, same with John Michael Montgomery!!) but I don't mind Gretchen Wilson (she would probably be a hella lot of fun to see in concert!), Toby Keith, Shania (sooooo hot!), etc. My wife used to be a big fan of the Dixie Chicks until all the controversy over their comments on President Bush a few years back... not that we're big time Republicans who were offended by those comments, or anything, but we found it annoying that afterwards it seemed like Natalie Maines thought she was Bono and that EVERYTHING she said to the press had to be a Big Bold Statement of some sort...that got kinda tiresome. (Their song/video "Goodbye Earl" is still one of the funniest damn things I've ever heard/seen though.)

I took my wife to an Alan Jackson/Martina McBride concert a few years ago and even though I was afraid I was gonna be bored and the show would suck, it was a lot of fun! (could've used more explosions and wailing guitar solos though.)

OH, and Rascal Flatts are total candy-asses. Even my WIFE thinks they're lame!!!

I've seen Restless Heart mentioned by a couple people...great band. I love "Big Dreams..." even though it gets a bit slow in parts. Anyone that likes 80's Country with an AOR vibe should check out John Schneiders "Now Or Never" (long oop).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NLS73IJI

If we start a new thread about who is "not" the biggest country music fan, I might be in line for that... ;)

I do like some of the songwriting, but the delivery usually just turns me right off.

Rascal Flatts started out as a country "boy band"

That doesn't surprise me. The singer does kinda have that "I was in a boy band ten years ago, I got fat but I still have the hair-do" kinda look :P

Rascal Flatts started out as a country "boy band"

That doesn't surprise me. The singer does kinda have that "I was in a boy band ten years ago, I got fat but I still have the hair-do" kinda look :P

Maybe they should change the name to Rascal Fatts?

Lets see, i like:

Johnny Cash

Waylon Jennings

David Allan Coe

Charlie Daniels

Hank Williams and Hank Jr (Hank 3 does nothing for me though)

And as for more modern stuff i like big and rich, travis tritt, trent tomilson, gretchen wilson, little texas, little big town, confederate railroad, miranda lambert, and brooks and dunn. A lot of that stuff would appeal to southern rock fans even if you dont like country IMO.

All Country/AOR fans should check out Exile - Shelter From The Night, or anything else by that great band! Blue Tequila, thanks for putting up John Schneiders "Now Or Never".

All Country/AOR fans should check out Exile - Shelter From The Night, or anything else by that great band! Blue Tequila, thanks for putting up John Schneiders "Now Or Never".

Sure, no problem. :drink:

• 1 month later...

Little Texas and Pirates Of The Mississippi are making music again. I was very excited to hear about Little Texas till I went to their website only to learn that they are now only a 4-piece band and the main singer, Tim Rushlow, is not with them.

I'm not a big fan of Country music. Country is stuck in a rut that it just can't get out of. I swear that you could buy an album from 15 years ago and one that came out last week and it would sound exactly the same. There is almost no progression in the music. I do like Country music from the 70's and back somewhat. I used to listen to some of that stuff on 8-Track when I was a kid and my Aunt still listens to classic country on the radio. Still, if I had my choice, I wouldn't listen to anything but Hair Metal.

over the years I have liked a few ones that have come and gone, I like songs more, the artists I like r JCash, Restless Heart, Carrie Underwood's cd is good, some KUrban, RFlatts r good as well!!!! aor country is how I describe the new stuff!!!

over the years I have liked a few ones that have come and gone, I like songs more, the artists I like r JCash, Restless Heart, Carrie Underwood's cd is good, some KUrban, RFlatts r good as well!!!! aor country is how I describe the new stuff!!!

And don't forget Bon Jovi if you're talking about AOR/Country... ;)

I've got a random mix on Winamp of about 500 (of the 1500 on the hard drive) country songs ranging from the late 50's to the late 80's. When my buddies and I sit out in the garage and throw back some cold ones it's always playing. Well the other night I kind of messed up my setup on the garage stereo so we were reduced to listening to "Todays Hottest Country Hits! " while working on my motorcycle. After about 20 minutes one of the guys says "um, how about you go throw on your good music". I told him I messed up my system the night before and it would take a while to fix. His response was "umm, I think you should go fix it...and the sooner the better!" :lol: And on that note I just picked up a Vern Gosdin cd. Great stuff if you like George Jones.

• 4 years later...
  • My Little Pony

Country music was part of my up-bringing. I listened to it in the mid nineties. I don't care for most of the new stuff, and, although I don't actively listen to it, I still appreciate some of the old boys: Alabama, Brooks & Dunn, Paul Brandt, and a few more.