1983 - Best HEAVY METAL Album

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow I didn't realise how many great releases came out in 1983.

I had to break this down in two categories because I couldn't narrow it down to just 20.

my fav from Us is Dio-Holy Diver

my fav from UK/Europe is Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind

Before anyone asks if Quiet Riot is Metal?

No they're not but when Metal Health came out they were, and I think it was considered at the time to be the first Metal album to go to #1. Of course since then Skid Row and Pantera have claimed the same thing.

Keith, the Raven 'All for One' is up there for you.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweeeeet Baby Ray, 1983 was one of the best metal years EVER, wasn't it??

I salute you for splitting this into separate U.S./Euro polls, by the way, because otherwise I would've had to make some EXTREMELY tough choices....

There's a ton of timeless classics on the U.S. side of this poll, but I simply had to go with Metallica's KILL'EM ALL, no contest. Not only is it still an amazing album to this day, but it also gets my nod for sentimental reasons. KILL'EM ALL was the album that introduced me to the "underground" scene and made me realize that there was a LOT more going on in metal than what I saw on MTV... so even as irrelevant as Metallica are to me now, without KILL'EM ALL I would not be the lifelong metal maniac that I am today, and therefore I am forever grateful to them. Bang that head that doesn't bang!! :banger:

On the Euro side I went with Raven's ALL FOR ONE, not only because it is my favorite Raven album to this day, but also one of my all time favorite metal albums EVER. (Thanx for including this one just for me, Wes, cuz I'm sure I'll be the only vote for it...) Although it was a tight race with Mercyful Fate's MELISSA and Maiden's PIECE OF MIND.

So when's the 1984 poll?!! :headbanger:

Wow! What a fuckin' great year! I forgot how good it was... I went with Dio for the US, easy win, although Metallica, Y&T, Steeler, Manowar... damn what a year.... :woot:

UK/Europe (AC/DC is not from either BTW... :tsk: ), I had to go with Accept, man I played that sucker out through a vinyl copy, a cassette or two and now digitally. Still listen to it from time to time. Piece of Mind was close though, real close... one of my fav Maiden releases. Def Lep and Ozzy aren't exactly chopped liver either... damn what a year... :woot:

Wow, this poll is a torture !!!

First part :

1/Dio

2/ Y&T

3/ Manowar

Second Part :

1/ Def Leppard

2/ Ozzy Bark at the moon

3/ Black Sabbath

Wow! What a fuckin' great year! I forgot how good it was... I went with Dio for the US, easy win, although Metallica, Y&T, Steeler, Manowar... damn what a year.... :woot:

UK/Europe (AC/DC is not from either BTW... :tsk: ), I had to go with Accept, man I played that sucker out through a vinyl copy, a cassette or two and now digitally. Still listen to it from time to time. Piece of Mind was close though, real close... one of my fav Maiden releases. Def Lep and Ozzy aren't exactly chopped liver either... damn what a year... :woot:

AC/DC- Classic Rock Magazine considers them being from the Uk. I think Angus and Mal were born in England and moved to Australia at an early age. Besides the band moved to the Uk around 1976 and that's where they became known. Also Brian Johnson is from the UK also.

So when's the 1984 poll?!! :headbanger:

The 1984 poll will be coming soon but it might be a few days.

This 83' poll about killed me. There were just so many albums and I tried so hard to cut it to 20 but just couldn't do it.

I'm sure 1984 will be even tougher.

Now this one is REALLY Hard for me...I love everything here...Man...

I'd have to go with

1) Alcatraz-No Parole

2) Motley Crue-Shout at The Devil

3) Y&T-Meanstreek

Part 2..

1)Krokus-Headhunter

2)Waysted-Vices

3)Iron Maiden Piece of Mind

Out of all of these "Sinner " is the Only Band I haven't heard..The Rest..

well these are albums I played all the time...Damn what a Great Year!!

For the U.S. It was Savatage - Sirens...love that album (still have my old blue vinyl copy)

For Europe - Accept - Restless & Wild....great release as the band raised their game again on that one....even though I think the previous release Breaker is my preferred album of the two.

Very nearly coulda beens - Ratt, Riot, Metallica and Waysted

No they're not but when Metal Health came out they were, and I think it was considered at the time to be the first Metal album to go to #1. Of course since then Skid Row and Pantera have claimed the same thing.

Skid Row claims to have the first metal album debute at #1

Skid Row's SLAVE TO THE GRIND was indeed the first metal album to DEBUT at #1 on Billboard, meaning that it instantly took the #1 spot as soon as it was released. Quiet Riot's METAL HEALTH eventually REACHED #1 on the charts, but it didn't immedately debut there, it took a little while before it climbed to the top.

Skid Row's SLAVE TO THE GRIND was indeed the first metal album to DEBUT at #1 on Billboard, meaning that it instantly took the #1 spot as soon as it was released. Quiet Riot's METAL HEALTH eventually REACHED #1 on the charts, but it didn't immedately debut there, it took a little while before it climbed to the top.

Pantera also claim to be the 1st to debut at #1 with "Far Beyond Driven".

I guess they didn't consider Skid Row to be metal.

That's not a very nice thing for Pantera to say about Skid Row, after the Skids took them out as their opening act (on the "Slave" tour) when nobody else would touch them with a ten foot dildo is it?? Sheesh. Ungrateful bastards. :)

In my book, Slave To The Grind is pretty damn metal!!

That's not a very nice thing for Pantera to say about Skid Row, after the Skids took them out as their opening act (on the "Slave" tour) when nobody else would touch them with a ten foot dildo is it?? Sheesh. Ungrateful bastards. :)

In my book, Slave To The Grind is pretty damn metal!!

IMO, Slave To The Grind is the best metal release of all time. IT SMOKES!!!

Damn. The first part was easy. Shout at the Devil.

The second got a little dicey. I went with Bark At the Moon but it was a tough choice. 1983 was such a great year. :banana::bananamac::banana::bananamac::banana:

You didn't vote for Dokken 'Breaking the Chains'????

But I put it up there just for you Chad. :crying:

Part One.... DIO ~ Holy Diver (just no way I can vote against this one... still one of the best tours I've ever seen)

Part Two.... Krokus ~ Headhunter (I've dealt with so many people poking fun at me for liking Krokus... but I still like em.) As a matter of fact their Metal Rendez-vous is one of my top 5 of all time.

Part One.... DIO ~ Holy Diver (just no way I can vote against this one... still one of the best tours I've ever seen)

Part Two.... Krokus ~ Headhunter (I've dealt with so many people poking fun at me for liking Krokus... but I still like em.) As a matter of fact their Metal Rendez-vous is one of my top 5 of all time.

I would never poke fun at you Dave! Headhunter is my top 10! Storace just plain rocks the mic.

Saw this on Blabbermouth a little while ago and thought it merited a post here, since I voted for it as 1983's finest metal work:

METALLICA: Autographed 'Kill 'Em All' Promo Sells For $1,500! - Dec. 3, 2006

An autographed promotional copy of METALLICA's classic debut album, "Kill 'Em All" — signed by the entire band, including deceased METALLICA bassist Cliff Burton — was sold on eBay for a whopping $1,476.

According to the seller, "the autographs were signed in 1983 just before the official release of 'Kill 'Em All' hit the stores! The signatures are guaranteed authentic, obtained in person at the legendary coolest metal shop in the universe — The Record Vault." Signatures and notations as follows:

"SUPPORT YER LOCAL METAL MILITIA" = Kirk Hammett

"Keep The Store Together - And Metal Up Your Ass" = James Hetfield

"CHOP 'EM" = Cliff Burton

"Thanks For Everything" = Lars Ulrich

Check out the auction at this location: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...41864&rd=1&rd=1

"Kill 'Em All" was released July 25, 1983 on Megaforce Records.

Among the best were these:

Dio-Holy Diver

Manowar-Into Glory Ride '

Quiet Riot-Metal Health

Alcatrazz-No Parole From Rock 'n Roll

Queensryche-S/T(EP)

Savatage-Sirens

W.A.S.P.-Animal(F#@k like a Beast)

Mercyful Fate-Melissa

Iron Maiden-Piece of Mind

Ozzy Osbourne-Bark at the Moon

Def Leppard-Pyromania

Europe-S/T

Still no votes for Pyromania?! -We can't be mainstream here...