Degreed - s/t

Stefan

The lead singer looks so greasy, with his sweaty hair and chewing gum. Lucky for them image means very little in Melodic Rock.

Great song!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This soon will be dead and forgotten...

err no it won't.

Listening through this morning at least half the album songs are gems.........that proportion works for me :)

Just listened to it once through so can't say too much yet....Pretty good.

Starts out strong for me with the first 5 tracks....4 of which we've heard already. The only "new" song is Tomorrow which is sort of a mid tempo ballad....pretty solid song. The album dips a bit with the piano ballad as that song kinda drags a little. I wish they would've added in some guitars and drums at some point in the song to give it a little more life.

Evil Eye picks it back up pretty well and War seems to rock. I like Lay Me Down a lot...starts slow and builds sorta like Shakedown does....great tune.

Nature of The Beast is another heavy song and Silence is decent enough to close the album.

Album maybe feels a tiny bit short as I think it's around 39-40 minutes....But probably a better length than their last album which was a bit too long.

Again, tough to say too much after one listen but have a feeling I'm going to like this a lot. I'm not sure yet if I'll like it more or less than the last one...Need more listens. These guys are just consistently good though.

Just wanted to check back on this thread with more detailed thoughts after having been through this album probably 10 times now. It's a shame the album hasn't seemed to have gotten more press and reviews....If I google search for reviews I find like one or two...Anyways....

1. Sugar - Like this better than The Scam on the last album...Good opener that's grown on me with more listens (9.0)

2. Shakedown - Fantastic song...Really like how it starts slow with keys and continually builds. Probably my favorite song this year (10)

3. Save Me - Had been released already; another great tune (9.5)

4. Tomorrow - Sort of a mid-tempo ballad, little different for these guys....pretty commercial song that works well (9 - 9.5)

5. Animal - Melodic rocker that has quickly grown on me....like it a lot (9.5)

6. If Love Is A Game - Piano ballad; appreciate the effort but doesn't do much for me. Great vocal but needed guitar/drums in the middle IMO (7.5)

7. Evil Eye - Solid melodic rocker; typical Degreed IMO that gets the album back on track (9)

8. War! - One of the heavier songs on the album....Rocks pretty good but not really grabbing me like some of the other songs (8.0-8.5)

9. Lay Me Down - Ballad type song that starts slow again with keys but this time picks up nicely. Great song that is highlight of 2nd half IMO (10)

10. Nature of The Beast - Another heavy rocker but so far this one isn't doing much for me and has been forgettable (7.5)

11. Silence - Pretty good ending song....Sort of a commercial, key-filled mid paced rocker...Lots of Degreed elements going on (8.0-8.5)

That comes to right around a 89 for me using this method. Basically for me, the first half of the album is pretty strong, the ballad is a bit of a snoozer and then the second half is a little bit up and down.

The album might not be quite as heavy overall as the last album but I do think this album is a bit more varied than the last one which I like. I also like the length of this one better as the last album was just a couple songs too long and it lost my attention by the end.

Good stuff though. I feel like I had high expectations for this release and am pretty happy with it. Again, think it's too bad that these guys seem to fly so far under the radar. I saw a recent thread over on MR.com when the album launched and there are like 4 replies on it. I know it's not officially out in the USA until September 1st but don't think the US following is that huge anyways. These guys deserve better.

I'd say your rating variation is about right for individual tracks but a little higher than I'd go....albeit shakedown and Lay Me Down are great and close to 10.

Very good album and very consistent band.

I been through it a few times too, and thoroughly enjoying it. The piano ballad is the weakest song and sounds a little strained at times. It's one of those songs that definitely would have sounded better with the band... but it's a good tune. Overall, it's another very consistently high quality album from these guys. Will rate well.

First 5 tracks are excellent as is Lay Me Down. The rest does little for me. A good release but I've heard better this year. Shakedown is still one of the best of 2017.

First 5 tracks are excellent as is Lay Me Down. The rest does little for me. A good release but I've heard better this year. Shakedown is still one of the best of 2017.

Pretty much where I'm at.

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Stefan said:

Japanese bonus:

This is like someone just came to my doorstep and dropped off a small fistful of cash. 

This has been a pretty strong year for music and I've stated elsewhere my top three, but just outside of that, this album sits there in 4th spot against some excellent competition. But I absolutely love spinning this and it still has potential to leap positions where I re-rate my top releases. Such a great band. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This band is probably my favorite discovery from this forum (still I don't have  a cemented opinion on Destine).

But what is this???

41AqYaesncL._SS500.jpg

We're releasing the first single of our upcoming album on September 7:th through Gain / Sony Music Sweden!! 

Follow this link to pre-order your copy now -  https://degreed.lnk.to/FiPSz

There's a preview of the song when you click the link..