Rise & Fall of Butch Walker

zacharyamelie

I'm going to guess FALL! I gave a listen to clips on NEH, and he seems to have pulled out all his late 60's Beatles and hopped on the Yellow Submarine all the way to Abbey Road. 4 of the samples tracks were him singing/humming/moaning a bunch of la!,la!,la!,la! I bet Rolling Stones and other Beatles/Oasis loving magazines are going to love it.

Great producer, great songwriter and a great vocalist, but The Rise & Fall Of Butch Walker will unlikly be in my cd rack, next to the Marvelous 3 cd's.

I guess it can't be as bad as the Supernova release he is going to produce in the near future, another Tommy Lee side project that will go straight to the delete bin.

I am so not impressed with what I have heard....very disappointing indeed.

JL

Just heard Butch's CD and I was like "WTF???".

Very disappointing! :angry:

I guess I am on my own here but I am really enjoying this....some really great power pop tunes on here...I really,really like this..... :drink:

To each his own. :lol:

I just wish Butch would go back and reform Southgang. It's not that it's bad.... it just doesn't rock. :blink:

Early returns are in and, as of now, I'm not crazy about the album.

I really, really like four of the songs, most I'm non-commital toward, and one or two just grate on my nerves.

It'll get a few more spins to see if it grows on me, but, initial impressions aren't majorly positive. (Hoping that changes, like it did for Letters).

I loved the first Southgang album. I thought the second was alright. I was at a music store and I saw a cd with some gay looking dudes on it. I was thinking "queers" and then I saw the bands name and thought "oops". I wonder what Marvelous 3 was thinking when they dressed like that. And people make fun of Hair Metal bands for dressing gay.

Early returns are in and, as of now, I'm not crazy about the album.

I really, really like four of the songs, most I'm non-commital toward, and one or two just grate on my nerves.

It'll get a few more spins to see if it grows on me, but, initial impressions aren't majorly positive. (Hoping that changes, like it did for Letters).

What does it sound like? "Letters" really grew on me and if it's anything like that I will definitely check it out. Unfortunately I can't listen to soundbytes as am at work, but I just wanted to get a feel for what direction this is going in....

:drink:

I loved the first Southgang album. I thought the second was alright.

Second one alright? :blink: It's goddamn great is what you meant I think! :P

JL

Wow, what can I say? I am a huge fan of Butch and all his previous work, including the excellent 'Letters' album and I don't want to say this, but I've always been honest in my views on music and this... well, to be honest, this is total shit, IMO.

There's still some great classic Butch lyrics, but the vibe and the actual songs here are simply terrible, IMO... to the point where I cannot listen to this stuff. This is just light years beyond my comfort zone in terms of music I actually enjoy and despite my love for Butch I would be surprised if I ever, ever give this album another listen. I thought it was plain and simply terrible. Sorry Butch. :( He's still releasing other projects this year, isn't he? I will always wait eagerly for his music, but this effort will be shunned by me.

I preferred Southgang. They kicked ass!

Both of their releases were really good. Marv 3 was really bad. And 1 of his solo albums did nothing for me. Supernova should be interesting.

I preferred Southgang. They kicked ass!

Both of their releases were really good. Marv 3 was really bad. And 1 of his solo albums did nothing for me. Supernova should be interesting.

Really? Even if the songs are well-written, Supernova is going to have to pull off a miracle with whatever singer they choose. There are only one or two talented ones in their pool to begin with and none that seem to me suited to front a band with the kind of material that Lee, Clarke, and Newsted could and should create.

However, this thread is about Butch and his new album. (Though I heartily have to disagree about M3. "Math and Other Problems" wasn't exactly my cup of tea (and their least popular, overall, CD), but Hey! Album (which doesn't seem to be as popular as) and ReadySexGo are really good albums. For those that are thinking of taking a chance on M3, I'd start with RSG. It's probably more "rocking", as people on here are typical fans of rock, at some level.

After seeing some of the new material live (and giving the new albums a few more spins), I can't honestly say I've warmed up to the new music yet. I still enjoy the two songs that are pretty upbeat (Bethamphetamine and Hot Girls In Good Moods) and Dominoes and This Is The Sweetest Little Song are pretty good slower songs. However, I just can't get into the rest of it too much. I'm going to keep trying (as I'll be seeing him live again soon), but it's just not clicking for me.

Like Geoff said, he's not done yet. The 1969 project should be more rocking. I believe it's been pushed back till next spring. (Or at the very soonest, early 2007.) I seriously hope he rocks it like he does in his live show. Until then, I'll just keep looking forward to the new ZO2 album, which should rock, if the three new tunes I heard live are any indication.

BTW, T2, I don't believe there's much comparison at all between Letters and Rise and Fall. Not only are my feelings about them fairly polar opposite (as are a few other board members, some in favor of Letters, some in favor or Rise and Fall). But, no matter which is liked better, I don't think anyone sees too much to compare. (I'm hoping Rise and Fall grows on me like Letters did too, but, as of yet, I don't see it. I'm thinking, after the live Butch, it might be time to shelve it and come back at another time.)

• 2 years later...

Okay, I actually made a return to this CD over the weekend. Due to my fondness of his latest disc and all his other work, I thought I owed him this much. I have to admit when the first song came on and there was actually some guitar in it I thought wtf? I don't remember that. Still don't overly like the song because of the chorus, but not completely awful.

I was just purely listening to the CD and didn't take too much note of track numbers or names, but I have to admit all 4 ballads were not too bad at all. I belive it was 4 and 5 ("Bethamphetamine (Pretty, Pretty)" and "Too Famous to Get Fully Dressed" ) that I actually quite liked. And there were two ballads at the end too which weren't great, but not awful.

There is still a lot (the majority) of stuff I don't like here, but to say this has NO redeeming features would be incorrect.

Well I just got this CD today, and I quite enjoyed it.

Ok, it wasnt as good as his first two solo albums or M3, but it certainly bears all the Butch Walker hallmarks, albeit somewhat further away from his usual rock roots.

Funnily, the most rock song on it is the cover of Live & let die, which is damn cool version imo.

Haven't heard this yet but it's simple. Butch figured out a few years ago that he's NEVER going to sell albums. However, Pink, Avril, etc DO sell albums. Guess where all his upbeat, poppy, "Butch Walker-ish" songs go? That's right, to the pop stars who make him rich. Gives him the freedom to be creative and do what he wants to on his own albums.

Haven't heard this yet but it's simple. Butch figured out a few years ago that he's NEVER going to sell albums. However, Pink, Avril, etc DO sell albums. Guess where all his upbeat, poppy, "Butch Walker-ish" songs go? That's right, to the pop stars who make him rich. Gives him the freedom to be creative and do what he wants to on his own albums.

so what you're saying is that Pink and Avril Lavigne have Southgang style songs in their back catalogue?! :P

>> so what you're saying is that Pink and Avril Lavigne have Southgang style songs in their back catalogue?! <<

Uhhhhh, more like M3 / his first solo album

i wouldnt consider that to be the "Butch Walker" sound tho....personally, and i dont know how many people agree with me, Butch Walker will always be Southgang...

>> so what you're saying is that Pink and Avril Lavigne have Southgang style songs in their back catalogue?! <<

Uhhhhh, more like M3 / his first solo album

i wouldnt consider that to be the "Butch Walker" sound tho....personally, and i dont know how many people agree with me, Butch Walker will always be Southgang...

Nah, Butch Walker was part of Southgang and it was a wonderful time... but I don't see that as "the real Butch". Not where his heart and soul is at.

Totally agree.

Southgang was great, but it was pretty much generic hair metal, nothing really personal on their two albums.

On the M3 albums and his solo stuff, they are either very personal lyrics or have his very intelligent, witty lyrical style.

Soutgang was pretty much by the numbers, but theres a lot more depth to everything he has recorded since then.

Totally agree.

Southgang was great, but it was pretty much generic hair metal, nothing really personal on their two albums.

On the M3 albums and his solo stuff, they are either very personal lyrics or have his very intelligent, witty lyrical style.

Soutgang was pretty much by the numbers, but theres a lot more depth to everything he has recorded since then.

Agree, agree!

The M-3, the first few solo records, the Floyds (Funk House) stuff, really intelligent, heartfelt, just amazing songs. Search out the live dvd and see for yourself the man is a true talent and it shows in his work.

And correct me Dave if I am wrong, but I believe you were going with the who do you think co-writes and produces all the young angry popsters and if you were thinking Butch Walker then you are correct sir. On Pinks last cd Butch co-wrote a fistful and did some producing and I think played a bit.

Southgang rarely spins and is not even in the same league as M-3!

Lastly I lost touch with Master Walker after Left of Self Centered, but later enjoyed discovering Letters and this Let's go out Tonight cd is a good solid Walker-esque disc. It is no Ready, Sex, Go!, but still solid.