What's a spinnin' in your CD player?

Hess - living In Yesterday

(this really is class, thank God Hess is still writing & recording stuff like this)

I really do like it, but that First Signal cd-WOW!

Yeah First Signal was best in year for me :-) This is a slightly different beast though in that its pure Harry. Love this guy and love his output.

I agree, Love his voice. Just wish it had a little more balls, just a little.

Sunstorm - 'Emotional Fire' ; spinning it now for the sole purpose to see if it truly deserves the ridiculously high score it currently has, sitting at an unreasonable (?) 3rd on my best of 2012 list. Just doesn't seem right... :lol:

any album where the 2 best songs are both covers cannot possibly be that high in anyones list ;-)

But what if both those covers are amazing? I don't rate songs less for any trivial reasons - if they're an awesome song they're an awesome song. I just can't rate anything on this any lower, even though I kind of want to because I want other albums higher than it. :lol: But it just seems that it really is that unsuspectingly good. 'Emotional Fire,' 'You Wouldn't Know Love,' 'Wish you were here,' 'Torn In Half,' 'Gina,' 'Emily' and 'Follow Your Heart' are just sooo awesome.

yeah but with 3 covers its like half an album.....personally i dont think the covers are as good as the orginals as well, which makes them kind of pointless for me. The other songs you mention are pretty cool though but this wont be featuring very highly for me - lower 80s I reckon. Cheers

Yeah, this, the Richard Marx CD and now Mike Ruocco all feature a heap of covers / re-recorded songs which play havoc with ratings, but I can't be bothered to make anything of it. If a song is worthy of a 9.5 it'll get a 9.5 from me and rate well, even if the song is a cover. :) I'm so rebellious.

But that's ridiculous......that's like Peepshow recording a new album in 2013 and covering 3 or 4 of the best Crashdiet songs plus a bunch of their own sleaze songs and us all proclaiming it's the best album of 2013???!

Just weird.

One cover maybe, but 3 ??!

It's a little different, because you're talking about covers of songs 20-25 years old not from the last 5-6 years

Well I guess in this case I'm biased cos I think they're worse than the originals. And 3 covers is excessive by anyone's estimation, awesome or not. Personally I would prefer awesome originals, but I'm greedy like that; then an album would be worthy of a No 3 slot.

It's a no 3 for Geoff because I guess he rated Hess, Eclipse, Dynazty, Jettblack, JSS, Crazy Lixx below that maybe

right now it's probably on 10 or 12 for me, it's still a fantastic album though. I wonder what's your current champion ? Is it still HEAT ?

and how bout DESTINE doin ? it's on my top 5

Well I guess in this case I'm biased cos I think they're worse than the originals. And 3 covers is excessive by anyone's estimation, awesome or not. Personally I would prefer awesome originals, but I'm greedy like that; then an album would be worthy of a No 3 slot.

It's a no 3 for Geoff because I guess he rated Hess, Eclipse, Dynazty, Jettblack, JSS, Crazy Lixx below that maybe

right now it's probably on 10 or 12 for me, it's still a fantastic album though. I wonder what's your current champion ? Is it still HEAT ?

Yeah & I'd rate all them above it (100%) except Jettblack which is on a par or maybe below. Yeah HEAT is still hangin in there (just!), but I still think Jimi & Vega could be tops this year - we'll see.

Yeah & I'd rate all them above it (100%) except Jettblack which is on a par or maybe below. Yeah HEAT is still hangin in there (just!), but I still think Jimi & Vega could be tops this year - we'll see.

Just before I address this - further to what The Rocker said above, the covers are ancient, but 2 were also originally recorded with female vocals, and for me that's like a totally different song. Because I'm homosexual I have ALWAYS preferred male vocals and therefore I think the Sunstorm versions are basically new songs... love 'em. :)

Haven't rated Hess or Eclipse yet, but Dynazty (32nd), Jettblack (23rd), JSS (13th), Crazy Lixx (22nd) aren't really contenders for me this year - well, that JSS one is still high up. :) Sunstorm, HEAT and Destine are at 3rd, 4th and 5th on 90.something each. :) BBABH is still my fave of 2012 so far, with Peepshow in 2nd spot for now.

Can't stop spinning:

Hess - Living in Yesterday

Eclipse - Bleed and Scream

Namesake - Borders and Fences

Just before I address this - further to what The Rocker said above, the covers are ancient, but 2 were also originally recorded with female vocals, and for me that's like a totally different song. Because I'm homosexual I have ALWAYS preferred male vocals and therefore I think the Sunstorm versions are basically new songs... love 'em. :)

Haven't rated Hess or Eclipse yet, but Dynazty (32nd), Jettblack (23rd), JSS (13th), Crazy Lixx (22nd) aren't really contenders for me this year - well, that JSS one is still high up. :) Sunstorm, HEAT and Destine are at 3rd, 4th and 5th on 90.something each. :) BBABH is still my fave of 2012 so far, with Peepshow in 2nd spot for now.

Actually 2 have been recorded by Bolton (and much better I hasten to add), but there you go........

I think Sleaze Roxx summed this release up perfectly for me -

"The question really though is... why? When you have one of greatest voices in rock why bother recording a dash of '80s AOR classics that rarely improve on the original, a handful of Rocky soundtrack fillers and an obligatory closing ballad? It wouldn't have done for his old mate Glen Hughes, and it certainly shouldn't be so for Joe Lynn Turner. Hey Joe... it ain't the best a man can get when it ain't the best the man can be."

As for Peepshow & BBABH being better than HEAT? Well only Geoff knows what goes through Geoff's mind, but I reckon that is gonna be a pretty lonely opinion this year mate! ;-))

[i should add that Peepshow is a pretty fine album, but sitting about 10% behind HEAT for me]

Actually 2 have been recorded by Bolton (and much better I hasten to add), but there you go........

"The question really though is... why? When you have one of greatest voices in rock why bother recording a dash of '80s AOR classics that rarely improve on the original, a handful of Rocky soundtrack fillers and an obligatory closing ballad? It wouldn't have done for his old mate Glen Hughes, and it certainly shouldn't be so for Joe Lynn Turner. Hey Joe... it ain't the best a man can get when it ain't the best the man can be."

As for Peepshow & BBABH being better than HEAT? Well only Geoff knows what goes through Geoff's mind, but I reckon that is gonna be a pretty lonely opinion this year mate! ;-))

[i should add that Peepshow is a pretty fine album, but sitting about 10% behind HEAT for me]

I'm thinking someone should start a best of 2012 thread pretty soon....hint!, hint!

Some titles in my top 10 might shock or at least be different then most.

Haha, my opinion is always a lonely one. It's used to it, and handsome.

I've only ever heard the Cher versions of those 2 songs. :) And to answer Sleazeroxx's question of why? Because the album is killer, regardless of what specifics it entails.

Quickly on those 3 discs - BBABH has a weak track ('Rockin' all night'), but everything else is ridiculously excellent, and all rated very high. Peepshow only has the one real standout track, to be honest ('Irreversable') but the rest is so awesomely consistent that it still rates extremely high and on most other albums, these songs would all be the stand-out songs. The quality is that high. HEAT has a good amount of stand-outs, but also a few "weaker" tunes (by their high standards) too ('The one and only,' 'Heartbreaker' and 'All about tonight') which bring the overall score down a little less than even I'd personally like. ;)

Both originally recorded by Sir Michael too...They completely crucify the new versions in vibe, production and playing too. The guitar solo on 'You Wouldn't know Love' sucks huge ones on the Sunstorm version compared to Mike Landau's original and Cher version. Apart from that, the rest of the album is pretty good.

Kim Mitchell - Akimbo Alogo

Kim Mitchell - Shaking Like A Human Being

Kim Mitchell - Rockland

Kim Mitchell - Aural Fixations

I've only ever heard the Cher versions of those 2 songs. :) And to answer Sleazeroxx's question of why? Because the album is killer, regardless of what specifics it entails.

Quickly on those 3 discs - BBABH has a weak track ('Rockin' all night'), but everything else is ridiculously excellent, and all rated very high. Peepshow only has the one real standout track, to be honest ('Irreversable') but the rest is so awesomely consistent that it still rates extremely high and on most other albums, these songs would all be the stand-out songs. The quality is that high. HEAT has a good amount of stand-outs, but also a few "weaker" tunes (by their high standards) too ('The one and only,' 'Heartbreaker' and 'All about tonight') which bring the overall score down a little less than even I'd personally like. ;)

holy shit 'Heartbreaker' is a 'weaker one' ?? I rated that 10/10 lol. Awesome tune in my book...killer solo too.

holy shit 'Heartbreaker' is a 'weaker one' ?? I rated that 10/10 lol. Awesome tune in my book...killer solo too.

maybe u mean 'Downtown'??

Both originally recorded by Sir Michael too...They completely crucify the new versions in vibe, production and playing too. The guitar solo on 'You Wouldn't know Love' sucks huge ones on the Sunstorm version compared to Mike Landau's original and Cher version. Apart from that, the rest of the album is pretty good.

I do agree with you good sir.

maybe u mean 'Downtown'??

Haha. Nah, I love 'Downtown.' I do like 'Heartbreaker,' and keep in mind it still scored an 8.25 from me... it's good, just not one of HEAT's best songs.

Spinning:

TFK - 'TEIWWB' ; lol, can't be bothered

BB - 'California Suntan'

Confess - Gin Act'

Million Dollar Reload - 'A sinner's saint'

NFG - 'Radiosurgery'