What's a spinnin' in your CD player?

Hess - living In Yesterday

(this really is class, thank God Hess is still writing & recording stuff like this)

I really do like it, but that First Signal cd-WOW!

Sunstorm - 'Emotional Fire' ; spinning it now for the sole purpose to see if it truly deserves the ridiculously high score it currently has, sitting at an unreasonable (?) 3rd on my best of 2012 list. Just doesn't seem right... :lol:

Hess - 'Living in Yesterday'

Namesake - 'Borders and Fences'

Sunstorm - 'Emotional Fire' ; spinning it now for the sole purpose to see if it truly deserves the ridiculously high score it currently has, sitting at an unreasonable (?) 3rd on my best of 2012 list. Just doesn't seem right... :lol:

any album where the 2 best songs are both covers cannot possibly be that high in anyones list ;-)

Hess - living In Yesterday

(this really is class, thank God Hess is still writing & recording stuff like this)

I really do like it, but that First Signal cd-WOW!

Yeah First Signal was best in year for me :-) This is a slightly different beast though in that its pure Harry. Love this guy and love his output.

any album where the 2 best songs are both covers cannot possibly be that high in anyones list ;-)

But what if both those covers are amazing? I don't rate songs less for any trivial reasons - if they're an awesome song they're an awesome song. I just can't rate anything on this any lower, even though I kind of want to because I want other albums higher than it. :lol: But it just seems that it really is that unsuspectingly good. 'Emotional Fire,' 'You Wouldn't Know Love,' 'Wish you were here,' 'Torn In Half,' 'Gina,' 'Emily' and 'Follow Your Heart' are just sooo awesome.

But what if both those covers are amazing? I don't rate songs less for any trivial reasons - if they're an awesome song they're an awesome song. I just can't rate anything on this any lower, even though I kind of want to because I want other albums higher than it. :lol: But it just seems that it really is that unsuspectingly good. 'Emotional Fire,' 'You Wouldn't Know Love,' 'Wish you were here,' 'Torn In Half,' 'Gina,' 'Emily' and 'Follow Your Heart' are just sooo awesome.

yeah but with 3 covers its like half an album.....personally i dont think the covers are as good as the orginals as well, which makes them kind of pointless for me. The other songs you mention are pretty cool though but this wont be featuring very highly for me - lower 80s I reckon. Cheers

yeah but with 3 covers its like half an album.....personally i dont think the covers are as good as the orginals as well, which makes them kind of pointless for me. The other songs you mention are pretty cool though but this wont be featuring very highly for me - lower 80s I reckon. Cheers

Yeah, this, the Richard Marx CD and now Mike Ruocco all feature a heap of covers / re-recorded songs which play havoc with ratings, but I can't be bothered to make anything of it. If a song is worthy of a 9.5 it'll get a 9.5 from me and rate well, even if the song is a cover. :) I'm so rebellious.

Yeah, this, the Richard Marx CD and now Mike Ruocco all feature a heap of covers / re-recorded songs which play havoc with ratings, but I can't be bothered to make anything of it. If a song is worthy of a 9.5 it'll get a 9.5 from me and rate well, even if the song is a cover. :) I'm so rebellious.

But that's ridiculous......that's like Peepshow recording a new album in 2013 and covering 3 or 4 of the best Crashdiet songs plus a bunch of their own sleaze songs and us all proclaiming it's the best album of 2013???!

Just weird.

One cover maybe, but 3 ??!

But that's ridiculous......that's like Peepshow recording a new album in 2013 and covering 3 or 4 of the best Crashdiet songs plus a bunch of their own sleaze songs and us all proclaiming it's the best album of 2013???!

Just weird.

One cover maybe, but 3 ??!

Yeah, that'd be different, but it'd never happen. I just don't like getting complicated and for me the Sunstorm covers are all legit very different recordings from the originals and as for the other 2, I guess re-recording / re-releasing all their best songs on one album with a heap of equally good new tunes will pay off nicely for them. :) I'm just a simple man. I just looked over my 2012 list and I gotta say I'm really happy with how it sits - looks very representative of how the albums should be ranked, which is always a good sign I'm happy with my rating system. :)

I guess the simple question is (from a general hater of cover songs), is an awesome cover song not better than a bad original song? I believe we both know this answer.

Well I guess in this case I'm biased cos I think they're worse than the originals. And 3 covers is excessive by anyone's estimation, awesome or not. Personally I would prefer awesome originals, but I'm greedy like that; then an album would be worthy of a No 3 slot.

• My Little Pony

Korpiklaani - Menala (Underworld)

For a minute there, I thought I was the only one around here that listened to these guys.

ZZ Top - La Futura

Well, after the first spin I'd say the previous album (Mescalero) was much better. By the way that one was a great album imo but on this one I couldn't find a single song I really liked. And after nine(!) years this is a weak return for me.

ZZ Top - La Futura

Well, after the first spin I'd say the previous album (Mescalero) was much better. By the way that one was a great album imo but on this one I couldn't find a single song I really liked. And after nine(!) years this is a weak return for me.

I really like this album a lot..a real return to form for me and better than 'Mascalero'. 'I Gotsta Get Paid' 'Chartreuse' and the excellent ballad 'Over You' all got my attention intially and now after 5 or 6 spins I can't say I dislike any track on here. Funny how tastes differ.