What's a spinnin' in your CD player?

Burn Halo - 'Up from the ashes' ; missing the highlights of the debut, but goddamn this is a solid, consistent CD of good quality. Definitely missing those great ballads of the debut, though.

haven't checked out this new one, i remember i'm liking the debut, yeah the ballads are solid on the debut, but the rockin' part of this album are great right ? is the quality right up their debut or this one is slightly worse ?

The first album was complete horse-shit. IMO of course.

hm quite disagree there friend. I found some connection to GNR on their vibe, i believe there are around 6 commercial tunes/ballads which I think are great, the rest are between average to great.

Burn Halo - 'Up from the ashes' ; missing the highlights of the debut, but goddamn this is a solid, consistent CD of good quality. Definitely missing those great ballads of the debut, though.

haven't checked out this new one, i remember i'm liking the debut, yeah the ballads are solid on the debut, but the rockin' part of this album are great right ? is the quality right up their debut or this one is slightly worse ?

The first album was complete horse-shit. IMO of course.

hm quite disagree there friend. I found some connection to GNR on their vibe, i believe there are around 6 commercial tunes/ballads which I think are great, the rest are between average to great.

Yeah, the debut wasn't a classic by any means and had it's fair share of fillers, but I thought the good bits were very enjoyable and I found it to be a good CD. The new one is possibly a bit weaker overall because the best songs aren't as good as the best on the debut, but overall it's a lot more consistent, I think. They sound very nice and solid.

Falling In Reverse - 'The Drug In Me Is You' ; just don't know what Tim's seeing in this one unforunately. :( Weak as piss hooks and choruses, despite it featuring arguably the most exciting guitarist of 2011. But man, these songs just suck for the most part. :lol: It's not like Tim to be so soft on such a poor album. Scraped in at 59% for me.

I don't really know what you're talking about, it's killer. And frankly is no different in style from Escape the Fate before their last 2 discs with the new singer. It kills the latest ETF disc, which is just pop/metal, and pretty much a blueprint for how to do this stuff IMO. Slightly childish lyrics (all about his bitterness towards ETF) but huge choruses and a great heavy/melodic combination. Aside from Trivium it's the best modern thing I've heard this year - though both those would be 80% at best.

I agree it's extremely similar in style to the latest ETF disc. But like I said elsewhere, I didn't think the last ETF disc was that great either. Certainly a huge step back from the first two. I'd actually like to review it in the short term to see how it compares to this. I think it's probably rate around the 60% mark too... maybe a couple more percentage points than FIR? I dunno. I can happily enjoy each CD, but I won't walk away from either of them with a song stuck in my head, or anything overly memorable. 'Goodbye Graceful' is my favourite song off the FIR disc - amazing solo too. But even that's only a 7/10 to me. :)

Spinning:

Phone Calls From Home - 'Connect'

After Hours - 'Against the Grain'

Kid In Glass Houses - 'Gold Blood' ; man they had a lot to live up to after their brilliant last disc. There's a glimpse or 2 on this album, but overall nothing anywhere near the quality of last year's surpise of the year. :(

G, did you find any great (over 90%) modern discs that i probably missed at least in the couple or three months ?

Nah mate, not at all. Only heard 3 albums for the entire 2011 that rate over 90% - Trust Company, Toby Hitchcock and Work of Art. For your reference, here's the current remainder of my Top 10 Modern Rock list at the minute:

2 . David Cook - This loud morning 85.79

3 . Destrophy - Cry havoc 85.00

4 . Simple Plan - Get your heart on 84.91

5 . Stealing Eden - Truth in tragedy 84.55

6 . Forever the Sickest Kids - s/t 84.00

7 . Adelita's Way - Home School Valedictorian 83.18

8 . The Friday Night Boys - Everything you ever wanted: The B-sides 83.09

9 . Venus Vegas - Morning still life 81.00

10 . Yellowcard - When you're through thinking say yes 81.00

Only possible inclusions to enter that list at the moment are:

Kids In Glass Houses - 'In Gold Blood' ; as I said, disappointed it's not as good as their previous CD but there were still a few immediate gems on this. Who knows how it'll rate after a few spins?

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus - 'Am I The Enemy' ; literally heard up to the first chorus on the first song, so NO IDEA if this will contend, but it did sound like a great first track. Nice, possibly more commercial style this time around.

Hell Or Highwater - 'Begin again' ; same as above. Heard up the first chorus in the first song so far but it sounded very nice - good style and good sound. We'll see how it goes, I guess.

okay will check these 4 later,

i guess i already d/l stealing and adelitas but haven't got time to check

i've checked out yellowcard and looks like it's an okay album,

btw i have FTSK -s/t cd but on the back sleeve, it stated 2010, so probably it's not a new release ?

WORK OF ART - In Progress

PRIDE OF LIONS - The Destiny Stone (LOVE this)

okay will check these 4 later,

i guess i already d/l stealing and adelitas but haven't got time to check

i've checked out yellowcard and looks like it's an okay album,

btw i have FTSK -s/t cd but on the back sleeve, it stated 2010, so probably it's not a new release ?

Yeah mate, correct you are on the back sleeve of FTSK. But I can assure you, it was actually released in 2011. 1st of March, in fact, was it's release date. No idea why it says 2010 on back sleeve?

Yellowcard pales in comparison to 'Paper Walls' but when you dissect it track by track, it really is quite solid on it's own. Keep in mind, though, it still "only" rated 81% for me, which unfortunately is the state of my top 10 at the moment. One album I hope a few people check out is that Venus Vegas one. Killer modern rock with Joe Elliot from Def Leppard styled vocals. Sadly I think it's download any, but a really exciting album, imo.

One album I hope a few people check out is that Venus Vegas one. Killer modern rock with Joe Elliot from Def Leppard styled vocals. Sadly I think it's download any, but a really exciting album, imo.

I lied. Buy it here for $10 - free worldwide shipping - I just bought a copy:

http://venusvegasband.bandcamp.com/track/lost

And listen to one of the best songs on the thing - 'Lost.' Man that that chorus works for me.

Very Best of Asia

(Not really my bag tbh.)

Is that a sightseeing guide or a CD?

Next up...

THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA - Zombie E.P

INTRUDER ~ "Live To Die Relived"

and

RAVENSTHORN ~ "Hauntings And Possessions"

Electrik Dynamite~ Hair.Denim.Sex.Metal

That sounds interesting.

Its hit and miss. I think the first single is on youtube. Give it a shake and let me know if it interests you further..... :whistle:

Tyketto - Don't Come Easy (1991)

good disc, could be great, but apparently after the great first half, the filler material comes kicking in. The bottom half isn't terrible though, but pretty average to drag this album to 80-85%.

Iced Earth - s/t (1991)

been a while but cranked this up loud while drivin' to the airport this morning, man this cd rocks. Some thrashy riffs and couple of flawless songs, good stuff.

Over last few days

Queensryche - Rage for Order

Queensryche - Dedicated to Chaos

Head East - One Night With ... (live)

Starz - Requiem

Work of Art - In Progress

Styx - Grand Illusion

Boyzz - Too Wild to Tame.