Good Music Books

SEYHEYKID

I think we have talked about this before but I just got done reading a really good book called "Bang Your Head" written by David Konow.This book covers pretty much everything from the 80's metal scene to the Bay area thrash scene and bands from Warramt to Armored Saint.

The nice thing about the book is that they give enough info and stories without boring you out of you mind.....Good read........just thought I'd share.

:drink::drink:

Got to agree - great read. I hate bands like Zepplin and Sabbath and that kind of stuff, but found that I was really interested in the story behind them anyway, and read the Zepplin pages with as much interest as I did the bands I loved. Great coverage of the metal-hard rock glory days... even being quite up-to-date too.

Yes, I'd definately recommend that one too. :)

This only goes up to approx 1983, but there's great info in there. I have the version with the Blue and Pink cover

International Encyclopedia of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal

40_1_b.JPG

It also can be found HERE

This only goes up to approx 1983, but there's great info in there. I have the version with the Blue and Pink cover

40_1_b.JPG

Yeah ...I've that one I think it's Maiden on the front or summat...hope I haven't thrown it when I moved house. It was full of little notes I'd entered e.g. adding new albums to the listings and band member changes....Jeez was I getting geeky!

What was great was the info you could find out about little know acts like Mannequin and Cintron!!! An essential book for a rock fanatic pre internet days!

I'll have to look for it ... I'm sure I saw it in the loft the other day ... when I was looking for something .. I hope!!!!

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" about Jim Morrison of The Doors was awesome. "The Dirt" is real good too. A real page turner.

• 8 months later...

The Collectors Guide to Heavy Metal 70's and Volume 2 the 80's are

both very cool, written by Marin Popoff ,they have small reviews

of Tons of things...plus each comes with a sampler cd...Very Cool!!!

A recent favorite of mine is "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal" by Ian Christe... great book, covers everything from Sabbath to hair metal to the church-burning black metal goons. Tons of neat trivia and great photos

A recent favorite of mine is "Sound of the Beast: The Complete Headbanging History of Heavy Metal" by Ian Christe... great book, covers everything from Sabbath to hair metal to the church-burning black metal goons. Tons of neat trivia and great photos

That's a great book. I picked that up a few years ago when it came out.

I learned alot from that book about the early thrash movement.

Another great book is "Run to the Hills" from Iron Maiden.

• 1 year later...

Hey Keith, would you recommend this one to me having a fair idea of my tastes which lean more towards the melodic/commercial side of 80's hard rock?

Hey Keith, would you recommend this one to me having a fair idea of my tastes which lean more towards the melodic/commercial side of 80's hard rock?

You'd like maybe one or two chapters in this book.

The majority of the book focuses on the NWOBHM and American Thrash Metal scenes.

Along with the Black and Death Metal scenes. There is talk of the Hair Metal scene in like two chapters but it's more poking fun then appreciating. It does mention how much heavier bands like RATT and Black N Blue were in their club days.

You'd like maybe one or two chapters in this book.

The majority of the book focuses on the NWOBHM and American Thrash Metal scenes.

Along with the Black and Death Metal scenes. There is talk of the Hair Metal scene in like two chapters but it's more poking fun then appreciating. It does mention how much heavier bands like RATT and Black N Blue were in their club days.

Thanks mate, I think I'll skip it. Maybe if I see it a little cheaper I'll pick it up later.

A few of my faves are:

Trash - New York Dolls Autobiography

Walk This Way - Aerosmith one

Yes an Authorised Biography..by Dan Hedges ( I was looking for this the other day but I've no idea where I've put it)

Diary of a Rock Star - Ian Hunter

Jaco - Jaco Pastorius

A few of my faves are:

Trash - New York Dolls Autobiography

Walk This Way - Aerosmith one

Yes an Authorised Biography..by Dan Hedges ( I was looking for this the other day but I've no idea where I've put it)

Diary of a Rock Star - Ian Hunter

Jaco - Jaco Pastorius

I believe they'd all be great stories and there are several biographies I'd like to read, but I find myself far less interested or motivated if I do not know the person/band in question.

Don't even mess with the Rockdetector book. It's pretty lame. There's a review that I wrote 4 years ago about it. I just noticed all of the errors I made in writing it. Sometimes it's hard to look at the past. What I wrote is still true today. My grammatical errors just make it a little hard to appreciate.

40_1_b.JPG

Yeah ...I've that one I think it's Maiden on the front or summat...hope I haven't thrown it when I moved house. It was full of little notes I'd entered e.g. adding new albums to the listings and band member changes....Jeez was I getting geeky!

What was great was the info you could find out about little know acts like Mannequin and Cintron!!! An essential book for a rock fanatic pre internet days!

I'll have to look for it ... I'm sure I saw it in the loft the other day ... when I was looking for something .. I hope!!!!

Found it yet, Nick ?? :lol:

• 3 years later...

Just finished "And Party Every Day" a few days ago. Not quite what I thought it was, but still a very interesting read. Amazing that they kept that house of cards up for that long. Pretty sad end for Neil Bogart too. All in all, an enjoyable read, though not as much KISS as I'd thought/hoped would be in the book.