Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

"OK Connery" (aka "Operation Kid Brother," 1967)

In the late 60s, campy James Bond ripoffs - known as "Eurospy" flicks -were all the rage. This Italian made 007 wanna-be upped the ante considerably by casting Sean Connery's real-life younger brother Neil (yes, really) as a plastic surgeon/hypnotist (?) who also happens to be the lookalike brother of a certain, ahem, well known British secret agent who's never mentioned by name, of course. When "Dr. Connery's" brother isn't available to battle a criminal syndicate planning to take over the world with a magnetic pulse device, he gets pressed into service in his place and becomes a reluctant spy.

In addition to Connery, the film features several other performers who have Bond connections, like Bernard "M" Lee, Lois "Miss Moneypenny" Maxwell (who actually gets out of the office and even gets to shoot a machine gun!), Italian hottie Daniela Bianchi of "From Russia With Love" fame and Adolfo Celi, who was SPECTRE's "Mr. Largo" in "Thunderball."

"OK Connery" straddles the line between loving homage, silly parody and out-and-out ripoff; variations on virtually all of the Bond trademarks are included and lovingly tweaked, the movie is full of hot babes, weird gadgets, lush European locations, and crazed supervillains, all set to a brassy score (composed by the great Ennio Morricone) that stops juuuust shy of copyright infringement.

In the end the movie doesn't really make a lick of sense but Bond fans might want to give it a look anyway, just to check out what amounts to a weird, alternate-universe version of 007.

• My Little Pony

Dear White People (2014)

The trailers advertised this as a comedy. This is not a comedy. But I'm actually glad it's not. Rather, this is a satire of racial politics, and is very appropriate for the current cultural climate. Definitely going on my list of recommendations.

The Kids In the Hall: Brain Candy (1996)

I love The Kids In the Hall. Truly a Canadian classic. This film... was alright. It definitely had its moments. Some very funny scenes. But it just doesn't feel like The Kids In the Hall, which, I admit, I don't know how I would want the show translated into the full feature format.

Willow Creek (2013)

Another found-footage film. Some people hate these. Some people love them. I would probably lean closer to the latter. When they're done well, they're done well, and this one was excellent. This follows a couple that travel to Willow Creek in hopes to find Bigfoot. Some very tense moments. I mean, very tense. Highly recommended.

Parenthood (with the kids) ... we spent most of the film trying to decide which of my kids was most like the kids in the film :)

We also agreed that I ride a horse about as well as 'Cowboy Gil' ...

220px-The_Imitation_Game_poster.jpg

I really want to see this ... the work done at Bletchley Park fascinates me ...

"The Living Daylights" (1987)

Timothy Dalton's first outing as James Bond is a mediocre (at best) affair. Dalton's performance is fine, but the story, which takes Bond from Czechoslovakia to Austria, Tangiers and Afghanistan in pursuit of crooked Russian military arms dealers, is an overlong muddle. In addition, Maryam D'Abo is perhaps the blandest Bond girl in the series' history. The series was clearly unsure of what direction to go in after the departure of Roger Moore.

Willow Creek (2013)

Another found-footage film. Some people hate these. Some people love them. I would probably lean closer to the latter. When they're done well, they're done well, and this one was excellent. This follows a couple that travel to Willow Creek in hopes to find Bigfoot. Some very tense moments. I mean, very tense. Highly recommended.

I dug this one and be damned if it wasn't written and directed by our main man Bobcat Goldthwaith.

• My Little Pony

Everly (2014)

Salma Hayek kills a lot of people. Men and women. All very much deserving. Very well done. Well directed, nicely shot. I think you lot will enjoy this one.

I saw the trailer for "Everly" the other day and said "hells yeah," but then I'll watch Salma Hayek in anything. :wub: She could make a movie where she's wearing a burqua and reading the phone book for three hours, and I'd still ... :masturbanana:

"House of Usher" (1960)

In the first of Roger Corman's series of Edgar Allan Poe adaptations, a man wants to take his beloved fiancée away from her family's creepy old house, against the wishes of her creepy old brother (Vincent Price). This charmingly retro terror tale is hardly "scary" by modern standards but it's still a fun watch.

• My Little Pony

Big Hero 6 - fun animated flick

The Equalizer - very good action film

John Wick - another good action film

Yep. All three were great.

"The Pit and the Pendulum"(1961)

A 16th century Englishman arrives at a Spanish castle to investigate the mysterious death of his sister, where he meets her guilt ridden husband (Vincent Price), experiences weird phenomena, and eventually becomes an unwilling visitor to the torture chamber in the castle's dungeon.

This was the second film in Roger Corman's series of Edgar Allan Poe adaptations, and though it takes a little while to get going the last half is great fun, with an excellent performance by Price.

"The Terror" (1963)

A young Jack Nicholson and horror icon Boris Karloff star in this Gothic tale from Roger Corman, about a French soldier who follows a beautiful woman to a creepy old castle (are there ever any other kind of castles in Roger Corman movies?). She turns out to be a vengeful spirit intent on tormenting her former husband (Karloff) to suicide.

"The Terror" may not make a whole lotta sense (the "shocking plot twist" at around the three quarter mark seems utterly random and totally unnecessary) but it has cool atmosphere and features nice performances by Karloff and the then-unknown Nicholson.

"Godzilla vs. Mothra" (aka "Godzilla vs. The Thing," 1964)

A giant monster egg washes up on Japanese shores after a storm, which results in Godzilla (playing the bad-guy role this time out) facing off against the giant insect Mothra, with a whole bunch of Japanese journalists and soldiers (plus two tiny Mothra worshipping go-go girls) caught in the middle. Charmingly silly rubber-monster schlock.

"Corman's World: Exploits of a Hollywood Rebel" (2011)

I wrapped up my "Obsessed By Roger Corman Week" with this cool documentary about his amazing 50+ year career in the film industry, loaded with cool clips from his films and interviews with pretty much anybody who's anybody in Hollywood, all of whom have worked for the "King of the B's" at some point. Great stuff!

Turner and Hooch with the boys

I love that film!

• My Little Pony

220px-Gone_Girl_Poster.jpg

Heard really good things

It's good, but it's also really messed up. What can I say? White people crazy.