Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

"Contraband" (aka "The Smuggler," 1980)

Italian splatter kingpin Lucio Fulci takes a swing at the "Eurocrime" genre with mixed results. A turf war breaks out in Naples between a crew of cigarette smugglers led by nice-guy hood Fabio Testi and a brutal new gang of drug pushers who want to muscle in on the territory. This flick takes a little while to get going, but the second half is positively packed with Fulci's trademark ultra violence, blood, guts and sleaze, so once the bodies start droppin' it's entertaining in a grimy sort of way.

"Suicide Squad" (2016)

A top-secret Government project releases some of the DC Universe's worst super villains - including Deadshot, Harley Quinn, and Killer Croc - from jail and forces them to team up against a supernatural threat to the entire world. Naturally, lotsa stuff gets shot at, blown up and pulverized along the way, and the movie even makes time for blink-and-you'll-miss'em appearances by Ben Affleck's Batman and the Flash. Harley's boyfriend The Joker also appears and though he may have received most of the hype, his role is also little more than an extended cameo, which is a shame.

A lot of fanboys seemed to hate this flick but I got a kick out of it - it definitely doesn't skimp on action. Legend has it that there was a lot of behind-the-scenes tampering with this movie right up until the release date so even if the result is a bit of a disjointed mess, at least it was an entertaining mess. I liked it much better than the bloated "Batman v. Superman," for whatever that's worth.

Suicide Squad..... Meh! DC are miles behind Marvel especially with the stuff they released in 2016. Shame coz Batman is the man......Well, he used to be!

Last weeks viewings:

1) Caddyshack (6/10)
2) Carrie (8/10)
3) Cannonball Run II (4/10)
4) Cannonball Fever (4/10)
5) City Lights (6/10)
6) Capsule (3/10)
7) Caddyshack II (4/10)
8) Candyman (5/10)
9) Cube (8/10)
10) Animal Farm (1954 version) (7/10)
11) Cape Fear (6/10)
12) 3 Idiots (9/10)
13) Children of Heaven (5/10)
14) Animal Farm (1999 version) (5/10)
15) Battleship (7/10)
16) For the Love of Benji (5/10)
17) Benji's Very Own Christmas Story (3/10)
18) Benji Takes a Dive at Marineland (2/10)
19) Oh Heavenly Dog (5/10)
20) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (7/10)
21) Casablanca (4/10)
22) Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids (6/10)
23) Captain America: Civil War (8/10)

• My Little Pony

Ā 

Last weeks viewings:

1) Caddyshack (6/10)

2) Carrie (8/10)

3) Cannonball Run II (4/10)

4) Cannonball Fever (4/10)

5) City Lights (6/10)

6) Capsule (3/10)

7) Caddyshack II (4/10)

8) Candyman (5/10)

9) Cube (8/10)

10) Animal Farm (1954 version) (7/10)

11) Cape Fear (6/10)

12) 3 Idiots (9/10)

13) Children of Heaven (5/10)

14) Animal Farm (1999 version) (5/10)

15) Battleship (7/10)

16) For the Love of Benji (5/10)

17) Benji's Very Own Christmas Story (3/10)

18) Benji Takes a Dive at Marineland (2/10)

19) Oh Heavenly Dog (5/10)

20) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (7/10)

21) Casablanca (4/10)

22) Born Into Brothels: Calcutta's Red Light Kids (6/10)

23) Captain America: Civil War (8/10)

Some more quality viewings. ;}

Ā 

Really giving Battleship a 7?

I struggled to rate Battleship. There were some horrendous moments in it but at the same time there were parts i enjoyed. Overall i kind of enjoyed it and thought it was worth a watch at least once which puts it in my 7/10 bracket. However on a different day when i'm maybe not feeling so generous that could slip to a 6 or even a 5.

Arrival.

Very slow movie, feeding small bits of information as it goes.

The kind of movie you watch hoping it's all gonna be worthwhile when the ending happens.

One for those who like thinking arty movies.

"Justice League vs. Teen Titans" (2016)

Batman sends hostile young Damien Wayne (the new Robin) to Teen Titans HQ for some lessons in teamwork and playing well with others. While he struggles to fit in, the world-destroying demon Trigon possesses the most powerful members of the Justice League, and the young Titans team suddenly find themselves playing in the big leagues. As usual, lots of blasting, zapping and destruction ensues.

"JL vs TT" wasn't a top drawer DC Animated Universe flick but it was entertaining fanboy viewing.

Jack Reacher Never Go Back

Was enjoyable enough, but after this we watched the first one again and then realised that the sequel paled against the original. Bit light on the action, wise cracks and fun.

"Weiner" (2016)

Ā 

Ā 

This documentary follows disgraced former NY congressman Anthony Weiner's attempt at a comeback by running for Mayor of New York City. At first his campaign actually seems to be getting off to a pretty good start, but it's eventually derailed by yet another "sexting" scandal which turns him into a national punch line and threatens his marriage as well.

Watching Weiner and his team trying to perform damage control as the campaign inevitably implodes around them (while Weiner's long suffering wife does a permanent slow burn) is bizarrely entertaining, in a "what-the-f***" sort of way. Obviously when Weiner signed up for this doc, he was expecting the film to have a much happier ending.

• My Little Pony

Wild Target (2010)

Ā 

It's not too well received, but I really like this one. I think I enjoyed it more now then my first viewing.

"Night Of The Living Dead" (1990)

Gore-makeup guru Tom Savini made his directorial debut with this entertaining remake of the George Romero classic. The story's still the same - a group of squabbling strangers hole up in an abandoned farm house to ride out the zombie apocalypse - but Savini updates a few minor details and overhauls the heroine "Barbara," who's way more of a bad-ass than she was in the '68 flick. I remember thinking this "NOTLD" was pretty hardcore when I saw it in a theater back in the day, but now it seems almost quaint in this age of ultra-violent zombie TV like "The Walking Dead." How times have changed!

Hacksaw Ridge ... superb film!

Hacksaw Ridge ... superb film!

Ā 

I've read some very favourable reviews so that's one film i'm looking forward to seeing. My viewings from last week:

Ā 

1) Capote (7/10)
2) Benji the Hunted (5/10)
3) Benji: Off the Leash! (5/10)
4) Return to the Blue Lagoon (4/10)
5) Avengers: Age of Ultron (8/10)
6) Blue Lagoon: The Awakening (5/10)
7) Candyman: Farewell to the Flesh (4/10)
8) Candyman: Day of the Dead (3/10)
9) Deadpool (8/10)
10) Cool Hand Luke (7/10)
11) The Rage: Carrie 2 (5/10)
12) Arrival (6/10)
13) 3 Men and a Baby (7/10)
14) Bad Neighbours (6/10)
15) The Aviator (7/10)
16) 3 Men and a Little Lady (5/10)
17) Bad Neighbours 2: Sorority Rising (5/10)

Watched the Blair Witch reboot/part 3 and like all continuations of "classic" movies I went in with no expectations and this unfortunately fell flat as expected. As with most new films the focus was on jump scares and zero character development, you will actually route for the demise of the group of unremarkable young adults. Zero creep factor which should be a breeze with this franchise and the "shacky can" genre as a whole however this is as mentioned a very safe and overly homoganized film.

Watched the Blair Witch reboot/part 3 and like all continuations of "classic" movies I went in with no expectations and this unfortunately fell flat as expected. As with most new films the focus was on jump scares and zero character development, you will actually route for the demise of the group of unremarkable young adults. Zero creep factor which should be a breeze with this franchise and the "shacky can" genre as a whole however this is as mentioned a very safe and overly homoganized film.

Ā 

I spent the whole of the original film hoping that the characters would hurry up and die ... :)

Ā 

I spent the whole of the original film hoping that the characters would hurry up and die ... :)

?

That is an opinion I hear regularly and my wife echos. What I obviously find significant is the one liberal use of the at the time not an industry standard shacky cam and two the set up. They did a great job teeing up the found footage angle and the potential that this truly happened and three the lack of jump scare versus the staring at the screen waiting for something that never came. Made for a great deal of suspense which further cemented the ending.

Ā 

That said I also enjoyed Book of Souls as I thought that angle was played well. But as with the original part 2 fell flat with the masses.

Ā 

As with the third installment I wish they would have turned up the dials on the dread and steered away from the jump scares. The potential was there for something great but they didn't get it. The film clocked in at 89 minutes maybe if they adddednin about another 20 minutes they could have played out a few more scenes to improve the film??? Maybe a directors cut is impending that will be better? I think not.

"The Hole" (2012)

It's terror in the Southern California suburbs! Two brothers and their single Mom move into a new house, and soon the boys discover a hidden, locked trap door in the basement. Naturally, they can't resist opening it, which reveals a seemingly bottomless pit and eventually (of course) unleashes something nasty. Joe "Gremlins" Dante directed this '80s-style kids-versus-spooky-things flick which will bring back memories of cable favorites like "The Gate" or "The Curse." Fun stuff.

• My Little Pony

Split (2017)

Ā 

This was a good return to form for M Night Shyamalan. I went into this thinking I knew how it would end, and am pleased to say I was completely off. Great performances, too. I enjoyed it.

Ā 

"The Hole" (2012)

Ā 

It's terror in the Southern California suburbs! Two brothers and their single Mom move into a new house, and soon the boys discover a hidden, locked trap door in the basement. Naturally, they can't resist opening it, which reveals a seemingly bottomless pit and eventually (of course) unleashes something nasty. Joe "Gremlins" Dante directed this '80s-style kids-versus-spooky-things flick which will bring back memories of cable favorites like "The Gate" or "The Curse." Fun stuff.

Forgot about this one. Need to re add it to my watch list.

Split (2017)

Ā 

This was a good return to form for M Night Shyamalan. I went into this thinking I knew how it would end, and am pleased to say I was completely off. Great performances, too. I enjoyed it.

Cool as it looks quite good. Glad It's not a turd.

• My Little Pony

Ā 

Split (2017)

Ā 

Cool as it looks quite good. Glad It's not a turd.

Ā 

Ā 

I don't know if you noticed, but in the trailers M Night's name wasn't shown until the very end. He knew it was going to be a lot of work to regain our trust.

Ā 

Ā 

That is an opinion I hear regularly and my wife echos. What I obviously find significant is the one liberal use of the at the time not an industry standard shacky cam and two the set up. They did a great job teeing up the found footage angle and the potential that this truly happened and three the lack of jump scare versus the staring at the screen waiting for something that never came. Made for a great deal of suspense which further cemented the ending.

Ā 

That said I also enjoyed Book of Souls as I thought that angle was played well. But as with the original part 2 fell flat with the masses.

Ā 

As with the third installment I wish they would have turned up the dials on the dread and steered away from the jump scares. The potential was there for something great but they didn't get it. The film clocked in at 89 minutes maybe if they adddednin about another 20 minutes they could have played out a few more scenes to improve the film??? Maybe a directors cut is impending that will be better? I think not.

Ā 

Ā 

The original film had so much potential ... the whole 'found footage' idea was brilliant ... it's just a shame that everything was let down by the main characters ...