Last movie you watched?

66 mustang

"X-Men: Apocalypse" (2016)

This is what, the seventh X-Men movie? Eighth? Honestly, I've lost track. Anyway, this latest installment is set in the early 1980s and pits the mutant heroes against an ancient Egyptian super-mutant God type who (of course) wants to destroy the world. As usual, lots of blasting, zapping, and massive property destruction follows. Apocalypse runs a bit over-long (nearly two and a half hours) but the FX are great and the performances (by a mix of returning series vets and some new faces) are fine, so this may be my second fave flick in the X-franchise (right behind "First Class").

"The Running Man" (1987)

In the dystopian future of 2017 (ha!), America is a totalitarian state and the #1 TV program is "The Running Man" - a rigged game show where criminals can supposedly "win" their freedom by surviving a brutal obstacle course filled with attackers. Can a falsely-accused Arnold Schwarzenegger beat the odds and expose the fraud?

This '80s cult classic (based on a Stephen King novelette) is cheesy in all the right ways, and features a bravura performance by Richard "Family Feud" Dawson, who is clearly having the time of his life playing the sleazy game show host.

Honestly, "The Running Man" wasn't a top drawer Arnold flick even back in the day and obviously it hasn't aged well, but it's still lotsa big, loud, dumb fun.

"Justice League: The Brave and The Bold" (2002)

Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the rest of the DC superhero crew face off against Gorilla Grodd, Lex Luthor, the Joker and more in this compilation of four episodes of the Cartoon Network show. The animation isn't as nice as the "Superman" and "Batman" toons that preceded this series but otherwise it's decent kid stuff with the usual fine voice work (incl. the always-welcome Mark Hamil! as the Joker).

The Founder - The story of the creation of McDonald's. Was ok, just a story 'based' on a true story so you don't know what was exaggerated. Best part was Ron from Parks & Rec without his beard.

Lion - the based on a true story of an Indiia born Australian who chases his memories to try and track down his paternal mother. Not bad. My wife made me watch this as part of the deal we made when she watched all of the Rocky movies with me. I still have a few movies to pay her back with.

Million Dollar Baby - apparently was one of those that won lots of Oscars or something. Was ok, with a few twists and turns that were unexpected. Classic Eastwood direction

"Finding Dory" (2016)

The long awaited sequel to "Finding Nemo" focuses on El!en DeGeneres' forgetful blue fish, who sets off on a quest to find her long-lost parents. Naturally her friends Marlon and Nemo are along for the ride and they al! make some new friends along the way, including a hilariously depressed octopus voiced by Ed O'Neill. It's Pixar so of course it's gorgeously animated, frequently funny and fun for the whole family. Recommended even if you don't have kids.

Lights Out

Its official, I'm old and I have missed the boat on the new wave of "scary" movies as this one was as dumb as anything I've seen in the past 10 years. Ridiculous "plot" yes in quotes cuz' there was none and OF COURSE let's do the well overplayed jump scare. Jesus this was played out in the last 2 seconds of the first Paranormal Activity and has just gotten worse and worse.

If your not familiar with this one here is the trailer:

Will someone PLEASE stop making these glorified Goosebump-esque horror movies and make something worth a watch and another thing PG-13 and "the scariest movie this year" are not synonymous. For those keeping tabs anyone at age 13 does not know from scary OK.

In case you missed it, AVOID!

• My Little Pony

Lights Out

Its official, I'm old and I have missed the boat on the new wave of "scary" movies as this one was as dumb as anything I've seen in the past 10 years. Ridiculous "plot" yes in quotes cuz' there was none and OF COURSE let's do the well overplayed jump scare. Jesus this was played out in the last 2 seconds of the first Paranormal Activity and has just gotten worse and worse.

https://youtu.be/6LiKKFZyhRU

Will someone PLEASE stop making these glorified Goosebump-esque horror movies and make something worth a watch and another thing PG-13 and "the scariest movie this year" are not synonymous. For those keeping tabs anyone at age 13 does not know from scary OK.

I'm really hoping that Jordan Peele's Get Out is good. It's a bit early, but currently holds 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm guessing it's gonna be more suspense than horror, though.

Lights Out

I'm really hoping that Jordan Peele's Get Out is good. It's a bit early, but currently holds 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm guessing it's gonna be more suspense than horror, though.

Suspense is good, that builds the dread. At least it's rated R. Watched the trailer and from that the movie could go either way, but the acting looks good and I'm always hopeful.

Miserable weather today - perfect for a "Stay inside and watch movies" marathon...

"Justice League: Throne of Atlantis" (2015)

The all new, more badass Aquaman makes his debut in this DC Animated Universe flick, as half human/half Atlantean Arthur Curry discovers his birthright just in time to help the JLA fight off an Atlantis invasion of the surface world. As usual it's full of stylishly animated ultra-violence.

"Red Dog" (2011)

An entertaining Australian comedy/drama (apparently based on a true story) about a well traveled stray canine who wanders into a remote iron-mining village and has a profound effect on the lives of its residents. A quirky, heartwarming family flick.

"Batman: The Killing Joke" (2016)

The classic graphic novel from 1989 - considered by many to be the definitive Batman/Joker story - gets the DC Animated treatment and the result is a mixed bag. A lengthy, mostly unnecessary prologue involving a Batman/Batgirl romance (?) which wasn't in the original story has been added, apparently to pad out the run time to feature length. Once it gets that out of the way and gets down to business, though, it's a faithful adaptation of the G.N., with Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy (from "Batman: The Animated Series") returning to voice the Joker and Batman. Be warned, this one earns its "R" rating, it is not a cartoon for the kiddies!

• My Little Pony

I wasn't sure I needed to see yet another was struggle film.

Does it do something different?

Yup.

Are you unfamiliar with the story of Desmond Doss? He survived WWII as a combat medic without firing a single bullet.

The definition of a hero.

I wasn't sure I needed to see yet another was struggle film.

Does it do something different?

Yup.

Are you unfamiliar with the story of Desmond Doss? He survived WWII as a combat medic without firing a single bullet.

The definition of a hero.

OK, I'll give it a go.

• My Little Pony

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

Damn! The sequel to the action film that was way better than it had any right to be, is also way better than any sequel to an action film has any right to be. If you enjoyed John Wick, go see it. If you haven't seen John Wick, what's wrong with you? Watch that first, then watch the sequel. Excellent films. Both of them.

John Wick: Chapter 2 (2017)

Damn! The sequel to the action film that was way better than it had any right to be, is also way better than any sequel to an action film has any right to be. If you enjoyed John Wick, go see it. If you haven't seen John Wick, what's wrong with you? Watch that first, then watch the sequel. Excellent films. Both of them.

Really? Thats interesting....not seen either. Will put on the list

So I just looked up John Wick 2 and it's released here in..... 2 months.

Yay, this is why downloading is prevalent.

No reason for this in our modern age.
I see US TV series pretty much as soon as it's aired in the US, yet they expect me to wait 2 months to see a movie that everyone is talking about and by then spoilers are all over the place.

Looks like I'll see Gold instead.