2024 The year the music died?

Cats in Space as well. Always awesome.

To everyone saying rock is dead, every year I have an awesome top 10-15, after that the quality drops off a cliff. Every year is the same.

But personally I'm happy with 10-15 awesome new releases 🤷

And for the record every Tremonti album is completely immense imo. Killer songs, vocals, solos.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Glen said:

But personally I'm happy with 10-15 awesome new releases 🤷

Prior to this year I would agree, and hopefully the second half of the year delivers.

And for the record every Tremonti album is completely immense imo. Killer songs, vocals, solos.

I've tried a few times in the past but it bores me to tears ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.  

6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Am I hearing a new Vain album could drop any moment? Why is nobody talking about this?

I never know about upcoming albums until they’re released, 95% of the time, but this is very exciting to me. I remember mentioning something about it last year is some thread everyone probably skipped over, lol. 

5 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

As of Valentines day 2024 it is looking like the music has indeed died.

Misses so far for me this year:

Striker – Ultrapower (vocals are weak as are the songs, Live To Fight Another Day was the only passable song.)

Russell – Guns – Medusa (album is not terrible it’s just kinda blah, I’m guessing having ADV as a writer and producer would be the reason why.)

Grand – Second To None (Achille’s Heel is a good song, there are a few other ok songs with the rest being a pass.)

Gotus – Gotus (Gotthard fell off a cliff after Steve Lee’s death, and this sounds like a post Steve Lee album, also the singer reminds me of ronnie romero whose vocals I do not like)

Saxon – Hell, Fire And Damnation (Madame Guillotine is alright, the rest bores me to tears.)

Notorious – Marching On (wasn’t terrible but no real interest in hearing it a second time)

LA Guns – The Dark Horse (wasn’t terrible but no real interest in hearing it a second time)

The Gems – Phoenix (I don’t mind it but it’s nothing I’d go back to regularly)

Metalite – Expedition One (I don’t mind it but it’s nothing I’d go back to regularly, poor man’s Amaranthe)

Lucifer – Lucifer V (it’s decent but nothing top 10 worthy)

The Priest singles are decent.

not really caring for The Mars singles, singer doesn’t work for me, wish it was Corabi.

The Dickinson singles are kinda meh, no Zulu Lulu that’s for sure.

Ace Frehley can’t sing so that’s not an option.

Never cared for Accept .

I tried that Blackberry Smoke but couldn’t get through the full song, she gawn country.  

Tremonti is too modern sounding for my tastes.

Vain I will check out but never cared that No Respect album I’ve seen people gush over.

Jon has completely lost the plot so the new Jovi will be coma inducing.  

Stryper will be good musically speaking, I struggle with the vocals.

Bach’s latest single is good so that could be a fourth album added to the list; but haven’t heard any official announcement on if an album will happen this year.

Tobi the music critic

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, tobi is an animal said:

As of Valentines day 2024 it is looking like the music has indeed died.

Misses so far for me this year:

Striker – Ultrapower (vocals are weak as are the songs, Live To Fight Another Day was the only passable song.)

Russell – Guns – Medusa (album is not terrible it’s just kinda blah, I’m guessing having ADV as a writer and producer would be the reason why.)

Grand – Second To None (Achille’s Heel is a good song, there are a few other ok songs with the rest being a pass.)

Gotus – Gotus (Gotthard fell off a cliff after Steve Lee’s death, and this sounds like a post Steve Lee album, also the singer reminds me of ronnie romero whose vocals I do not like)

Saxon – Hell, Fire And Damnation (Madame Guillotine is alright, the rest bores me to tears.)

Notorious – Marching On (wasn’t terrible but no real interest in hearing it a second time)

LA Guns – The Dark Horse (wasn’t terrible but no real interest in hearing it a second time)

The Gems – Phoenix (I don’t mind it but it’s nothing I’d go back to regularly)

Metalite – Expedition One (I don’t mind it but it’s nothing I’d go back to regularly, poor man’s Amaranthe)

Lucifer – Lucifer V (it’s decent but nothing top 10 worthy)

The Priest singles are decent.

not really caring for The Mars singles, singer doesn’t work for me, wish it was Corabi.

The Dickinson singles are kinda meh, no Zulu Lulu that’s for sure.

Ace Frehley can’t sing so that’s not an option.

Never cared for Accept .

I tried that Blackberry Smoke but couldn’t get through the full song, she gawn country.  

Tremonti is too modern sounding for my tastes.

Vain I will check out but never cared that No Respect album I’ve seen people gush over.

Jon has completely lost the plot so the new Jovi will be coma inducing.  

Stryper will be good musically speaking, I struggle with the vocals.

Bach’s latest single is good so that could be a fourth album added to the list; but haven’t heard any official announcement on if an album will happen this year.

Yeah but this isn't an indication that rock music has died, just that it does not appeal to your tastes which is a very big difference. While we on here all have a common ground with the type of music we listen to, we have an incredibly varied mix of people who want different things from music. Some are more critical and delve into the minutiae of songs, and some of us are more easily pleased that someone sang a song about love or how fast their car goes :lol:

Plus tastes vary even within this genre. Some of us prefer to go with more melodic, some more heavy. Some prefer old school some like a modern take. There are bands I listen to that I would never bother discussing here, not because they do not fit musically, but I know that I will probably be a voice of one saying how good it is.

If 15 bands that I dont like release albums it doesnt mean music has died if other people like those bands and albums.

I am still playing catch up on releases since 2021 for obvious reasons, so even if there is a lull in releases I like, there is always something new I can buy, it's just not the latest release.

• Like 3

Maybe I need to look somewhere else for upcoming releases. 

I tend to scan rockreport.be and officialcharts the night before. Then keep an eye

on https://rateyourmusic.com/list/huskerchief21/best-melodic-rock_metal_aor-albums-of-2024/

So looks like I need to listen to Leah this week. Palama Faith I usually like but another not in the HH genre. And the Honeymoon Suite. I'll confess I wasn't a fan of theirs back in the day but they had a catchy tune or two. I'll give it a go. 

There's clearly stuff coming up and I always find a gem , or two , I'd never have expected to like. The Gunship album last year blew me away, for example. 

I really can't ever remember getting to mid Feb without finding something I spin a lot. Maybe this week I find that gem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Maybe I need to look somewhere else for upcoming releases. 

I tend to scan rockreport.be and officialcharts the night before. Then keep an eye

on https://rateyourmusic.com/list/huskerchief21/best-melodic-rock_metal_aor-albums-of-2024/

So looks like I need to listen to Leah this week. Palama Faith I usually like but another not in the HH genre. And the Honeymoon Suite. I'll confess I wasn't a fan of theirs back in the day but they had a catchy tune or two. I'll give it a go. 

There's clearly stuff coming up and I always find a gem , or two , I'd never have expected to like. The Gunship album last year blew me away, for example. 

I really can't ever remember getting to mid Feb without finding something I spin a lot. Maybe this week I find that gem. 

Good old Scandiman/Huskerchief. I tried to get him to come over here and hang out, not just the main site. But I think Darkstone and Doggy scare them away. Understandable, really.

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, auslander said:

Good old Scandiman/Huskerchief. I tried to get him to come over here and hang out, not just the main site. But I think Darkstone and Doggy scare them away. Understandable, really.

That's un-Australian mate.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't get all these posts, god forbid you go 2 months without a release. Most people on the site have about 3000 cds, I'm sure you can find something to listen to 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah I'm loving the break.

I've been churning through my backlog of albums I hadn't get to yet.

Currently listening to WASP, crowne, dynasty and stombreaker.

Would be nice for a change to be listening to a new album the same time as everyone else.

Did that somewhat with Russell guns but not many here seemed too into it 

I've also been walking to work and back (yes, I still have a driver's licence) so have had an additional 1 1/2 hours a day listening while I walk.

At the airport now and have a bunch of newish albums to listen to while I relax in Darwin.

I have so far picked up four releases this year, and started as early as Feb. Last year the first albums I bought were not until March.

As I have said before, I am seriously behind on album pick ups from the last four years due to health issues, so it really does  not bother me that new albums are not pouring out like water as it gives me a chance to play catch up. Plus I also know I have several other albums coming out this year with Sebastian Bach, Rolling Quartz and The Warning all confirmed for new releases.

Four new albums and eight catch up albums so far this year has in my mind been great as it's allowed me to devote more time to new purchases rather than giving them one spin and then move onto something else.

If anyone really thinks this year is the year music has died, well quite frankly that is on you, not the bands and the music.

It's odd; it is really noticeable, the lack of new releases from artists generally featured on this site. But the let up is nowhere else, and there's plenty of strong modern rock albums being released this year so far. I assume it'll catch up, but not sure. We'll see, I guess.  

On 3/12/2024 at 7:30 PM, Glen said:

Don't get all these posts, god forbid you go 2 months without a release. Most people on the site have about 3000 cds, I'm sure you can find something to listen to 😉

I listen to music 30-35 hours a week and still don't have enough time; so yea there is a lot to listen to, but will my nearly 40 year streak of having a top 10 come to and end? Probably will be able to come with 10 releases by years end but it's looking like the weakest year to date.  2025 is already shaping up to be loaded though.

6 hours ago, Geoff said:

It's odd; it is really noticeable, the lack of new releases from artists generally featured on this site. But the let up is nowhere else, and there's plenty of strong modern rock albums being released this year so far. I assume it'll catch up, but not sure. We'll see, I guess.  

can you name me one to check out, thanks. 

50 minutes ago, tobi is an animal said:

I listen to music 30-35 hours a week and still don't have enough time; so yea there is a lot to listen to, but will my nearly 40 year streak of having a top 10 come to and end? Probably will be able to come with 10 releases by years end but it's looking like the weakest year to date.  2025 is already shaping up to be loaded though.

it's March ffs 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Glen said:

it's March ffs 

☝️100% this. We’re not even a quarter of the way through the year yet. 🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, tobi is an animal said:

can you name me one to check out, thanks. 

Haha, I wouldn’t bother if I was you, mate. Absolutely guarantee you’ll hate them all but some of my favourites;

The Broken View - Ordinary Love

Blind Channel - Exit Emotions

Anchors & Hearts - Deathlist

The Darkest Moment - Love & Loss EP

The Day We Left Earth - s/t

Dead By April - The Affliction

Emil Bulls - Love Will Fix It

Floya - Yume

Kill The Lights - Death Melodies

Makari - Wave Machine

Mick Mars - The Other Side Of Mars

Sienna Skies - Only Change Is Permanent

Sunspear - s/t

Too Close To Touch - For Keeps

The Year - Kill The Imposter 

I don’t think there’s a band there I haven’t mentioned in the Other Music section on this forum, if you’re interested in this sort of gear. Happy listening! 

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Haha, I wouldn’t bother if I was you, mate. Absolutely guarantee you’ll hate them all but some of my favourites;

The Broken View - Ordinary Love

Blind Channel - Exit Emotions

Anchors & Hearts - Deathlist

The Darkest Moment - Love & Loss EP

The Day We Left Earth - s/t

Dead By April - The Affliction

Emil Bulls - Love Will Fix It

Floya - Yume

Kill The Lights - Death Melodies

Makari - Wave Machine

Mick Mars - The Other Side Of Mars

Sienna Skies - Only Change Is Permanent

Sunspear - s/t

Too Close To Touch - For Keeps

The Year - Kill The Imposter 

I don’t think there’s a band there I haven’t mentioned in the Other Music section on this forum, if you’re interested in this sort of gear. Happy listening! 

Did you find a new blog site to keep yourself up to date with these bands?

New Sebastian Bach coming out in May titled Child Within The Man if anyone interested.  https://sebastianbach.rpm.link/childwithintheman There is a new song out called Everybody Bleeds.

Edited by TheOriginalSplash
added
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Did you find a new blog site to keep yourself up to date with these bands?

Yeah, a Russian site, actually. Don’t have my laptop today and can’t remember the name off the top of my head. It’s a downloading site too, which is not for everyone, but I’ve found these sites the only way to keep up to date with new modern releases, for better or worse. If someone has an alternative I’d happily add to watch list, but seems so hard to get all the sub-genres of modern rock / metal in one place… other than these download sites. 

7 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, a Russian site, actually. Don’t have my laptop today and can’t remember the name off the top of my head. It’s a downloading site too, which is not for everyone, but I’ve found these sites the only way to keep up to date with new modern releases, for better or worse. If someone has an alternative I’d happily add to watch list, but seems so hard to get all the sub-genres of modern rock / metal in one place… other than these download sites. 

By using this site there's no doubt your laptop would also have more Viruses than a pre-school in Wuhan as well!

• Haha 2

I'm not understanding all the doom and gloom... there's plenty of good new music out for the start of 2024... just not all of it in HH genres.

Positive releases thus far IMO:

A Neverending John's Dream

Amaranthe

Blind Channel

Crazy Lixx

Dymytry

Exit Eden

Grand

Honeymoon Suite

Illumishade

Judas Priest

Lionheart

Myrath

Saxon

Static-X

Stormborn

Striker

Takida

Thornbridge

And we will have Unleash the Archers, Royal Republic, and Kissin' Dynamite in the next few months, let alone what follows.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Mp3Million by any chance?