Olli Herman joins Popeda, announcement on Reckless Love future plans this month

Captain Howdy

I dislike Midnight Oil but only cause their lyrics are so holier than thou preachy, musically i dig tgem a bit but cause of their overt politics in lyrics i cant really enjoy them. I respect Cold Chisel and somehow know the words to their big tracks. But I only have their best of album and never play it. For me, I think of INXS as our true national treasure band, our version of Popeda.

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Midnight Oil had a big hit here in the 80s with Beds are burning, but that's about it.

Yarp. Same here. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
16 hours ago, auslander said:

I dislike Midnight Oil but only cause their lyrics are so holier than thou preachy, musically i dig tgem a bit but cause of their overt politics in lyrics i cant really enjoy them. I respect Cold Chisel and somehow know the words to their big tracks. But I only have their best of album and never play it. For me, I think of INXS as our true national treasure band, our version of Popeda.

I agree about Midnight Oil, some of their early stuff is iconic, but very self righteous.

I love Cold Chisel though.

INXS is definitely a National treasure, but well known throughout the world as AC/DC is.

I reckon our version of Popeda would probably be something like "Skyhooks" or maybe "Hunters and Collectors". There's a few actually. 

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 5:34 PM, Darkstone said:

I agree about Midnight Oil, some of their early stuff is iconic, but very self righteous.

I love Cold Chisel though.

INXS is definitely a National treasure, but well known throughout the world as AC/DC is.

I reckon our version of Popeda would probably be something like "Skyhooks" or maybe "Hunters and Collectors". There's a few actually. 

Perhaps? Probably more similar in musical quality. I was just thinking who might be the highest selling Australian artist within Australia. Doesn't seem too easy to find that info. Looks like Kylie Minogue is, worldwide, and also looks like a John Farnham album is the highest selling album by an Australian, in Australia. So maybe it's John Farnham? 

33 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Perhaps? Probably more similar in musical quality. I was just thinking who might be the highest selling Australian artist within Australia. Doesn't seem too easy to find that info. Looks like Kylie Minogue is, worldwide, and also looks like a John Farnham album is the highest selling album by an Australian, in Australia. So maybe it's John Farnham? 

Screenshot-2024-01-11-at-13-25-45-All-Ti

I do find it funny that Delta Goodrem is number two yet Kylie Minogue and INXS don't even make the top ten.

• 2023 Gold Donors
4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I do find it funny that Delta Goodrem is number two yet Kylie Minogue and INXS don't even make the top ten.

I'm actually very surprised that "The Wiggles" aren't on that list.

13 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Those sales for Whispering Jack are insane. Put in perspective, Australia's total population in 1986/87 when the album came out was just over 16 million. Fugg it, we should just make You're the Voice our national anthem. Would be kick arse to hear it played at the Olympics tbh.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

If there are any non Aussies here who haven't heard the John Farnham album "Whispering Jack", then you should give it a spin. 

There's a reason why it's ranked number one. It's a Great slice of 80's AOR/ Pop.

He was the King of Australia in '86 when it was released and he's arguably still our favourite son.

Either him or Dave Warner.  ;)

Just a little Aussie in-joke.

Edited by Darkstone

The thing that always makes me laugh is when Bee Gees get classified as Australian, despite being born in the Isle of man, spent their early years in England, moved to Australia when they were between 8 and 11, only spent about 9 years there and moved back to England.

I can accept AC/DC being Aussie, even though most of them were from Scotland as they moved to Aus and stayed there, but Bee Gees are about as Australian as Mel Gibson :lol:

• 2023 Gold Donors
22 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

I can accept AC/DC being Aussie, even though most of them were from Scotland as they moved to Aus and stayed there, but Bee Gees are about as Australian as Mel Gibson :lol:

Yeah, I've always thought that the Bee Gees being Aussies is a bit of a stretch. 

Crowded House is another band that we consider Australian, but many may consider as a New Zealand band, although I did hear Neil Finn in an interview regarding that, and he said that the band was formed in Melbourne, so there you go.

Yes, Mel Gibson is as Australian as Russell Crowe, but you're on thin ice with your AC/DC comments. That's borderline heresy down here mate.

Edited by Darkstone

4 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Yeah, I've always thought that the Bee Gees being Aussies is a bit of a stretch. 

Crowded House is another band that we consider Australian, but many may consider as a New Zealand band, although I did hear Neil Finn in an interview regarding that, and he said that the band was formed in Melbourne, so there you go.

Yes, Mel Gibson is as Australian as Russell Crowe, but you're on thin ice with your AC/DC comments. That's borderline heresy down here mate.

Laughing Out Loud Lol GIF by Minions

On 1/12/2024 at 5:11 AM, Darkstone said:

If there are any non Aussies here who haven't heard the John Farnham album "Whispering Jack", then you should give it a spin. 

There's a reason why it's ranked number one. It's a Great slice of 80's AOR/ Pop.

He was the King of Australia in '86 when it was released and he's arguably still our favourite son.

Either him or Dave Warner.  ;)

Just a little Aussie in-joke.

I love John Farnham's stuff, especially 'Whispering Jack' and 'Age Of Reason'. I was lucky enough to see him at the Dominion Theatre inLondon on the 'Age Of Reason ' tour and he was an incredible live singer... one of the best i've seen. Love his stuff on some of the Little River Band albums too. quality stuff. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Post from Hessu Maxx FB page sounds like they are done.

I want to say THANK YOU to all the fans and followers that Reckless Love have♥️.
You are the reason we made it all! For me these past 15 years have been amazing! I have loved every second of it. You all made it possible for us. You all have a place in my heart forever. I tried to meet you all everytime when it was possible. All the countries and all the shows we've had the pleasure to offer you our best, are precious to me.
I hope you all could enjoy this life as much as I have enjoeyd it in these past 15 years, even for a moment.🙏🏼
Pepe Sedergren , Jalle Pääkkönen and Olli Herman Kosunen are my brothers always. I want to thank them for all this time we spent together making Reckless Love, a pretty good band, right? 🙂
Also big thanks to all the people we have had the pleasure to work with! Our bus drivers Pex Siltala , Mikko Mitikka , Petri Kaivoluoto our sound engineers Janne Röning, Janne Vuori and our man on a mission Alex Hautamäki and everyone else. We know what it's like on the road, and we make it possible together! ♥️🙏🏼
I love to make music, I love to play drums, That is my passion and I will never stop. 🤠
New era, new things. Let's all enjoy it! ♥️
Ps. I could quote many of the songs we have but one of the best for this feeling is 'Edge Of Our Dreams' -Reckless Love Listen to it and have a moment. 🙏🏼

Actually I missed the official announcement and seems it's now just Pepe and Jalle continuing

Dear fans and followers,
As many of you already know, Olli joined the legendary Finnish rock group called Popeda at the beginning of the year. This will take 100% of Olli’s concentration and efforts for the time being. Consequently, we are announcing a break from touring and recording until further notice. Our work will continue as soon as the time is right.
We are also announcing that we have parted ways with our drummer Hessu Maxx. Our decision was mutual and formed over a long period of time. We want to emphasize the fact that this was not a rushed decision. There is no hard feelings or drama involved from either side, as we all feel this was a natural developement within the bands internal relations. We want to thank Hessu for his hard work for the band, all the fun we’ve had on the road and all the great things we have achieved together over the years. We wish Hessu all the best for his future endeavours.
We will come back. We always do. Our love for you will never die - because it’s Reckless Love.
yours,
Olli, Jalle and Pepe

So after re-reading both statements in the correct order, my take is that the band is on hiatus due to them waiting to see if Olli returns, but sounds like Hessu is not willing to wait. Just seems a bit of a mess of a situation where one guys decision has kinda derailed the band.

Like many bands, the focus of this band has always been on the vocalist, and when that vocalist leaves the band is pretty much destroyed. If they carry on with a new singer, they will lose a lot of diehard fans who only care about the singer, and will constantly get comments like "It's not XX without XX on vocals". "No XX no XX".

The other option is to call it quits, and then those same people who complain about new singer will be the first ones complaining the band has split.

It's a no win situation.

Replacing a vocalist in a band is the hardest piece of the jigsaw puzzle to replace. Sometimes it works (VH, Sabbath, AC/DC, Maiden) other times it doesn't (VH, Sabbath, Maiden, Warrant).

With a band as relatively small as Reckless Love some might think its easier, but I personally think it works against them as their fans are absolute diehards for the most part.

I finally have my Reckless Love shirt coming, and now this.. I will still wear it proudly.

I did have another one, the material was so thin, and the logo was wearing off.

I'm guessing, the musical direction was an issue. I loved the first three releases. 4th was ok, latest one

didn't do a thing for me. I may be in the minority there, though. The first release is one of my all time favorites.

I hope they get back to the Van Halen/Def Leppard sound. Probably doesn't sell well, even in Finland.

I envy those who got to see them. I shouldn't complain though.. I was into AC/DC, before most people.

The live shows, in the small clubs, were pure energy. Even got to meet Bon. :( No one like him!

21 hours ago, rickinmd said:

I'm guessing, the musical direction was an issue.

I very much doubt that. From what I have seen and heard over the years, Olli made most of the main decisions with the band. Hell it was his band basically (which is why it went on hiatus when he joined Crashdiet).

He got an offer he could not refuse. Despite not being known outside Finland, Popeda probably sells more records in Finland than Reckless Love sells world wide, and probably plays bigger venues too. It may be his fan boy dream, for all we know, but you would have to say that he must be making a lot more money joining them.

Maybe he will return, maybe he won't. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

I very much doubt that. From what I have seen and heard over the years, Olli made most of the main decisions with the band. Hell it was his band basically (which is why it went on hiatus when he joined Crashdiet).

He got an offer he could not refuse. Despite not being known outside Finland, Popeda probably sells more records in Finland than Reckless Love sells world wide, and probably plays bigger venues too. It may be his fan boy dream, for all we know, but you would have to say that he must be making a lot more money joining them.

Maybe he will return, maybe he won't. Guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm guessing Reckless Love will be back. But when? Who knows? It's a real shame this happened after such a banger that was Turborider. And we all know the Synthwave direction was due to Hessu being out of commission after his back surgery, so it makes sense that he's itching to play again. You can't fault him for leaving. I wonder what the other boys will get up to. 

• Like 1

Yeah, it's definitely unfortunate. As noted, it's probably a massive deal for Olli within the confines of Finland, but certainly a bummer for fans of Reckless Love worldwide. I also think we will see Reckless Love return again one day, but it's obviously impossible to even guess any kind of timeline. Guess it's one we just have to wait out. 

Perhaps, Stefan, next time you cross paths with Olli at your local supermarket you could mention that we'd prefer if he returned to Reckless Love asap. And next time Popeda are at your house for a Sunday BBQ you might want to encourage them to call it a day, again? 

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, it's definitely unfortunate. As noted, it's probably a massive deal for Olli within the confines of Finland, but certainly a bummer for fans of Reckless Love worldwide. I also think we will see Reckless Love return again one day, but it's obviously impossible to even guess any kind of timeline. Guess it's one we just have to wait out. 

Perhaps, Stefan, next time you cross paths with Olli at your local supermarket you could mention that we'd prefer if he returned to Reckless Love asap. And next time Popeda are at your house for a Sunday BBQ you might want to encourage them to call it a day, again? 

Yeah, @Stefanreally dropped the fuckin' ball on this one. 

Devastating news but to my ears the last couple of albums, whilst good lost the magic of the first few... So the band probably needed a shake up anyway?

I hope the band grab a new singer and release a new album under a different name... That's always my preference when a key member leaves. Sure the band name might lose momentum but the fans know what's going on (is there a general music public anymore that will be left in the cold?) and it also leave the door open for a reformation if it when the time is right.