Olli Herman joins Popeda, announcement on Reckless Love future plans this month

Captain Howdy

From Reckless Love Facebook

Congrats Olli for joining the most legendary Finnish rock band @popedaofficial as their new singer. Awesome job and big news!! We will let you all know about our future plans within this month. Stay Tuned🫶 Happy New Year 2024✨

415205377_18018231538982136_155319861561

38 minutes ago, heavyharmonies said:

WTF is a popeda? Sucks for Reckless Love if he's leaving.

Looked into them, they are one of the biggest Finnish bands and been going since the 70s, but have no impact outside Finland as they sing in their native tongue. Believe it or not they are the 29th best selling artist ever in Finland, out selling the likes of Springsteen, Bon Jovi, ZZ Top, Queen and Guns N Roses, among other massive world wide bands.

I can only assume from their future plans announcement later this month that they will be replacing him as if he was doing double duty or they were calling it quits, surely there would be no point delaying the announcement.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Never heard of Popeda and the non English vocals are a deal breaker for me, but with Olli joining, I'll be interested to see if their new material is in English.

My daughter loves the Moomins from Finland. But she doesn't know about Popeda either sadly.

Hopefully it is just a side project to pay bills for Olli.

45 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

@Stefan is oddly quiet on this. Or maybe he's been too excited to comment. ;}

Maybe it is a crime to say anything about Popeda in Finland.

On 1/2/2024 at 3:18 AM, Darkstone said:

Never heard of Popeda and the non English vocals are a deal breaker for me, but with Olli joining, I'll be interested to see if their new material is in English.

I don't think the language is a deal breaker as long as the music is great. For instance I am a huge fan of Band-Maid but don't speak a word of Japanese.

• 2023 Gold Donors
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

I don't think the language is a deal breaker as long as the music is great. For instance I am a huge fan of Band-Maid but don't speak a word of Japanese.

Yeah, I kinda wish it wasn't the case, but I just can't get into foreign language stuff. 

It's a shame cause there's some great foreign stuff that's musically killer,  particularly from Japan.

Edited by Darkstone

Yeah, foreign language is a 100% deal breaker for me. Without the lyrics you lose 50% of the point of the song, for me, personally. It's why I don't bother with instrumental or foreign language albums. 

Anyway, this is potentially rough news. These days it's pretty common for artists to juggle a couple of projects so I'd personally be pretty shocked if he left Reckless Love completely. Though, who knows? I think he'd be able to manage the recording side of it, considering they haven't really done much of that in recent years anyway... but I guess the issue comes with touring. If the rest of the guys still want to do that then I guess they'll need a replacement. 

Reckless Love, in March or April 2020, remains the last live band I ever saw. Looking forward to Glamfest to break the drought. Hoping I get to see Reckless Love, with Olli, again one day too. 

On 1/2/2024 at 6:07 PM, Captain Howdy said:

I got curious. Foreign vocals aside, these guys sound like a very acquired taste. The sound terrible, to be honest. Would be curious to hear from Stefan what about them makes them such a national treasure. There must be more to the tale because just listening to some of the music it's hard to understand. This random one popped up and induced vomit;

But I was curious about what they were doing in 1990;

Or 1992;

Or 1988;

I guess they're like a Cold Chisel or Midnight Oil in Australia. Blasphemous to some for me to say how much I dislike them, and any of the typical kind of pub rock Aussie bands, but otherwise they're almost like a part of Australian culture. 

I notice via wikipedia that this Popeda band hasn't been very active, at least recording-wise, since 2017 and I wonder if this is a reunion of sorts, that the lead singer didn't want to be a part of? He'd been with the band from 1977 to 2023. Big shoes for Olli to step into, I dare say. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah, foreign language is a 100% deal breaker for me. Without the lyrics you lose 50% of the point of the song, for me, personally. It's why I don't bother with instrumental or foreign language albums. 

Anyway, this is potentially rough news. These days it's pretty common for artists to juggle a couple of projects so I'd personally be pretty shocked if he left Reckless Love completely. Though, who knows? I think he'd be able to manage the recording side of it, considering they haven't really done much of that in recent years anyway... but I guess the issue comes with touring. If the rest of the guys still want to do that then I guess they'll need a replacement. 

Reckless Love, in March or April 2020, remains the last live band I ever saw. Looking forward to Glamfest to break the drought. Hoping I get to see Reckless Love, with Olli, again one day too. 

Reckless Love are actually the band I have seen most live. Think I have seen them 12 times in total. Hell, one year I saw them four times in one month as they did a weekly residency at a venue in London when doing a European tour.

First saw them in 2010 which may have been their first tour/show here, and some of the footage of that show appears in the Back to paradise video.

16 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Reckless Love are actually the band I have seen most live. Think I have seen them 12 times in total. Hell, one year I saw them four times in one month as they did a weekly residency at a venue in London when doing a European tour.

First saw them in 2010 which may have been their first tour/show here, and some of the footage of that show appears in the Back to paradise video.

They're definitely a good band to see live. I actually can't fully remember as it's four years ago now, but I think I said they were my favourite live band that I've actually seen. Off the top of my head, I think that's probably about right. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
16 hours ago, Geoff said:

Or 1992;

Or 1988;

I guess they're like a Cold Chisel or Midnight Oil in Australia. 

That's a very, very generous comparison. 

5 hours ago, Darkstone said:

That's a very, very generous comparison. 

lol, but you get what I mean, ay? 99% of people outside Australia wouldn't be into those bands but they're somewhat worshipped by many here. Not all by all means, but they're huge here, and nowhere else (I assume). 

Just drawing the parallel with Popeda that they're so huge in Finland (the biggest, in fact?) and not known anywhere outside the joint. 

Pobeda ('victory') was a Russian car back in the day and they were also available in Finland at the time. I'm wondering how this is pronounced in Russian but the letter 'B' is quite difficult to pronounce in Finnish, it sounds like 'P'. Voila! Popeda.

Geoff is right 'bout the pub rock reference, Popeda is music for the working class and part of the Finnish music culture. Big in Finland and pretty much unknown to those who don't speak Finnish.

The singer who left was the last remaining member from the original line-up so is this really Popeda or a cover band playing Popeda songs? Personally I don't care because it's not my kind of music anyway but the question is still there.
I don't know what the plan is, playing live only or record new music as well. Can Olli bring something new to the table in the songwriting department? And make them more 'mainstream'?

Another story springs to mind, the story about the band Yö ('night'). 
Similar background, same kind of music and formed a few years later than Popeda. Their last remaining member from the original line-up, Olli Lindholm, died in 2019 and they got a new singer at the end of 2023. 
Not a big fan of the group except for one album or at least one song (video below). In 2016 they hired Jimmy Westerlund of One Desire to work with them. He produced, played and wrote some songs on that album (including the song below) and they had their biggest hit in recent years.

Can Olli (or is he allowed to) do something similar with Popeda?

Speaking of songs sung in Finnish, can you spot the singer in the following videos? Jimmy Westerlund involved in the first one. Videos are ads for a solar power company.

• Like 2

• My Little Pony
15 hours ago, Stefan said:

Pobeda ('victory') was a Russian car back in the day and they were also available in Finland at the time. I'm wondering how this is pronounced in Russian but the letter 'B' is quite difficult to pronounce in Finnish, it sounds like 'P'. Voila! Popeda.

Geoff is right 'bout the pub rock reference, Popeda is music for the working class and part of the Finnish music culture. Big in Finland and pretty much unknown to those who don't speak Finnish.

The singer who left was the last remaining member from the original line-up so is this really Popeda or a cover band playing Popeda songs? Personally I don't care because it's not my kind of music anyway but the question is still there.
I don't know what the plan is, playing live only or record new music as well. Can Olli bring something new to the table in the songwriting department? And make them more 'mainstream'?

Another story springs to mind, the story about the band Yö ('night'). 
Similar background, same kind of music and formed a few years later than Popeda. Their last remaining member from the original line-up, Olli Lindholm, died in 2019 and they got a new singer at the end of 2023. 
Not a big fan of the group except for one album or at least one song (video below). In 2016 they hired Jimmy Westerlund of One Desire to work with them. He produced, played and wrote some songs on that album (including the song below) and they had their biggest hit in recent years.

Can Olli (or is he allowed to) do something similar with Popeda?

Speaking of songs sung in Finnish, can you spot the singer in the following videos? Jimmy Westerlund involved in the first one. Videos are ads for a solar power company.

I'd never change the channel if a Lumme Energia ad came on. Not sure I know who's singing in the second ad, though. 

• My Little Pony
46 minutes ago, Stefan said:

You're kiddin' right?

Are they both Pekka?

On 1/7/2024 at 8:50 AM, Geoff said:

lol, but you get what I mean, ay? 99% of people outside Australia wouldn't be into those bands but they're somewhat worshipped by many here. Not all by all means, but they're huge here, and nowhere else (I assume). 

Just drawing the parallel with Popeda that they're so huge in Finland (the biggest, in fact?) and not known anywhere outside the joint. 

Midnight Oil had a big hit here in the 80s with Beds are burning, but that's about it.