Ronnie Atkins - Trinity

Stefan

9 minutes ago, auslander said:

Pretty much none other, but Treat are pretty close too I reckon. There must be others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Off the top of my head, ‘Domino Effect’ and ‘Homerun’ are my two favourite Gotthard albums. 

7 hours ago, auslander said:

Pretty much none other, but Treat are pretty close too I reckon. There must be others but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Yeah, I'm struggling to think of many older bands that have outdone themselves with their later material.

For me, Pretty Maids definitely is the first that pops into my mind.  Their 2010 and forward albums are really all I even think about with them.  Granted, I never paid much attention to them in the 90's but even trying to go back to that output hasn't worked for me.

I think with most of those older bands that were around in the 80's or 90's, I'm just happy if I can get some good songs or decent albums.  Def Leppard is a good example of that.  I haven't been overly enamored with their past few studio albums overall, but for me they've still done some pretty good songs here and there.  

Trixter did a pretty good album with New Audio Machine that I really enjoyed.  Also really enjoyed Skid Row's last album but don't think that's really a good example being they have a new singer.  I liked AC/DC's last album Power Up which maybe could be close to some of their 90's output being all their albums basically sound the same lol.  

At this point, probably just lucky getting new music at all from many older bands as most of them seem to have given up.  I mean, some of my favorite bands from back then like Poison, GNR, Bon Jovi....Those bands are essentially dead new-music wise and will never put out new music anywhere close to their heyday.  They've either quit putting out music or I don't even feel like they're capable of doing good new music.  I could probably say the same about many other bands from that era.

I can't think of a Pretty Maids album I dislike, even if the first couple are not my favourites. They are extremely unique for me too, but not in the same way as you chaps. They're unique for me in that their best album, imo, was recorded in the same year Dokken recorded 'Shadowlife,' and Warrant 'Belly to Belly.' And who knows what other atrocities were committed that year. 

The year was 1997, and Pretty Maids released their absolutely killer 'Spooked' album, which is their best for me. Well, either that, or 'Jump The Gun.' 'Sin Decade' is right up the top too. But yeah, I do agree that 'Pandemonium' is on the same level as their best albums too. Great band. 

As noted above, I think Gotthard bettered their debut later on, but I can't think of any other bands that did. 

Regarding Treat, 'Organized Crime' is definitely my favourite album from them, but after that I do think the top 5 albums would be more modern ones than old ones. 'Dreamhunter' would be in there, but the other three would be modern ones, led by 'Coup De Grace.' 

I agree that Trixter's recent albums have been well worthwhile, but hard to compete with those first two. 

Like Danger Danger. Excluding 'Dawn,' they've not done a poor album. Even if only the Ted albums, 'Revolve' is a great album but it's hard to compete with those first two. And Harem Scarem. Still making great albums, but when your first couple are near flawless it's hard to compete. 

3 minutes ago, Kristian said:

Nothing post G. comes close to those first three albums imo.

Wow, I wonder if that's a lonely opinion. I actually don't even like 'Dial Hard' at all, and only two songs from 'G.' I love 'Homerun' and 'Domino Effect.' Even the over-rated 'Lip Service' I'd take over 'Dial Hard' and 'G.' Not the debut, though. But I will say that I recently spun the debut for the first time in a while and I do think 'Homerun' and 'Domino Effect' have it covered. Very cool album, but a lot more one-dimensional than I remembered. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Geoff said:

I can't think of a Pretty Maids album I dislike, even if the first couple are not my favourites. They are extremely unique for me too, but not in the same way as you chaps. They're unique for me in that their best album, imo, was recorded in the same year Dokken recorded 'Shadowlife,' and Warrant 'Belly to Belly.' And who knows what other atrocities were committed that year. 

The year was 1997, and Pretty Maids released their absolutely killer 'Spooked' album, which is their best for me. Well, either that, or 'Jump The Gun.' 'Sin Decade' is right up the top too. But yeah, I do agree that 'Pandemonium' is on the same level as their best albums too. Great band. 

As noted above, I think Gotthard bettered their debut later on, but I can't think of any other bands that did. 

Regarding Treat, 'Organized Crime' is definitely my favourite album from them, but after that I do think the top 5 albums would be more modern ones than old ones. 'Dreamhunter' would be in there, but the other three would be modern ones, led by 'Coup De Grace.' 

I agree that Trixter's recent albums have been well worthwhile, but hard to compete with those first two. 

Like Danger Danger. Excluding 'Dawn,' they've not done a poor album. Even if only the Ted albums, 'Revolve' is a great album but it's hard to compete with those first two. And Harem Scarem. Still making great albums, but when your first couple are near flawless it's hard to compete. 

Yeah Harem Scarem are good but I agree. Just today I was listening to a live album of theirs and every time they did a track from Mood Swings it just reinforced how that album was just something else. Really next level. It really does not ever get better than that album. A benchmark for the genre IMO.

House Of Lords "World Upside Down" stood up well to their earlier output for me and DRN "Lets Hear It For The King" was pretty good although "Slam" is a gem to my ears,last couple of Kiss releases (Sonic Boom & Monster) weren't bad either but if its a band bettering previous then no they didn't , Tesla "Mechanical" & "Great Radio" are classics but I really enjoyed "Forever More"

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, Kristian said:

Nothing post G. comes close to those first three albums imo.

I believe you meant nothing pre-G comes close to the magnificence that is the Lipservice/Domino Effect/Need to Believe trifecta. 

;}

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, auslander said:

Yeah Harem Scarem are good but I agree. Just today I was listening to a live album of theirs and every time they did a track from Mood Swings it just reinforced how that album was just something else. Really next level. It really does not ever get better than that album. A benchmark for the genre IMO.

I go back and forth between Mood Swings and Voice of Reason. Which, I realise, is the loneliest of opinions. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Wow, I wonder if that's a lonely opinion. I actually don't even like 'Dial Hard' at all, and only two songs from 'G.' I love 'Homerun' and 'Domino Effect.' Even the over-rated 'Lip Service' I'd take over 'Dial Hard' and 'G.' Not the debut, though. But I will say that I recently spun the debut for the first time in a while and I do think 'Homerun' and 'Domino Effect' have it covered. Very cool album, but a lot more one-dimensional than I remembered. 

G. is easily my favourite,  what two songs of this magnificent record do you fancy?

I'm guessing "Let it Be" and "In the Name" New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kristian said:

G. is easily my favourite,  what two songs of this magnificent record do you fancy?

I'm guessing "Let it Be" and "In the Name" New York Lol GIF by Lifetime

Khloe Kardashian Winner GIF by Bunim/Murray Productions

You are correct. I wonder if you knew that because they're the only good songs on it, or am I just that predictable? ;)

6 hours ago, lettard said:

House Of Lords "World Upside Down" stood up well to their earlier output for me and DRN "Lets Hear It For The King" was pretty good although "Slam" is a gem to my ears,last couple of Kiss releases (Sonic Boom & Monster) weren't bad either but if its a band bettering previous then no they didn't , Tesla "Mechanical" & "Great Radio" are classics but I really enjoyed "Forever More"

Yeah, HOL had a good run there when they first came back... after the 'Power and the myth' hiccup. There's several of their more modern albums I'd rate well above 'Sahara,' but not s/t or 'Demons Down.' 

'Sahara' is one of the stand-out "almost but not quite" albums from 1990, imo. It sounds awesome in every regard, except for the fact that most the songs just miss the mark. Not by a long way, but there's so many ordinary hooks and choruses that just miss the mark. Shame, because it could have been a great album.

On the flipside, I played 'Demons Down' again earlier this week and even though I've always loved that album, I grew an even greater fondness for it again. It is such a great disc, and a killer comeback after the disappointing 'Sahara.' Especially in 1992, when everything was crumbling around them. Great album. 

• Like 1

On the other had this thread has really branched off into another sub-thread within a thread :wacko:

although in saying that ... WE do that a lot here :P

Edited by lettard

On 10/25/2023 at 10:05 PM, auslander said:

IMHO, Treat's best work is their last three albums.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Kristian said:

Well, "Let it Be" is definitely one of their best songs, and "In the Name" have appeared on several other releases in different versions, so that's why I went with those two.

We might agree that "Open" is their weakest?

I’d have to consult my records to confirm that. I don’t like anything off Dial Hard but I think there maybe be one or two okay songs from Open. And recent albums are poor too. 

11 hours ago, Tabe said:

4 hours ago, auslander said:

I'm with you on that.

You guys should check out Organized Crime one day. ;)

1 hour ago, Kristian said:

Come to think of it, I prefer "Thunderdome" by Pink Cream 69 over their early work, with different singer though, but still.

Yeah PC69 is a band I did consider. Their first couple of albums after the two sellout ones are easily on par with earlier releases. If not arguably better. Thunderdome not so much, imo. 

12 hours ago, Tabe said:

51 minutes ago, Geoff said:

My favourite by them too...just perfect to my ears...still listen to it a lot

1 hour ago, lettard said:

My favourite by them too...just perfect to my ears...still listen to it a lot

Yeah, I agree. As close to perfect as pretty much any band got. Songs are absolutely spot on (only one slightly below par being 'Mr Heartache,' imo) and the production job stacks up - easily - against anything released from then to today. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Yeah PC69 is a band I did consider. Their first couple of albums after the two sellout ones are easily on par with earlier releases. If not arguably better. Thunderdome not so much, imo. 

PC69 top 6, imo;

1. Electrified

2. One Size Fits All

3. Sonic Dynamite

4/5. In10sity / debut

6. Games People Play

My indecision around the debut is purely due to it being one of the pissiest sounding albums from that entire era, released on a major label. If any band ever re-recorded and album entirely, man I wish PC69 would redo this one. I'd love it with Deris, but I'd be happy with Readman too. It has great songs, but the tin can drums and - to be fair - some of Deris' vocal choices, are pretty rubbish. I'd love to hear Deris redo it, vocally, and have the drums actually recorded, instead of the tin cans they used for the recording. But I'd also love to hear Readman have a crack at it too, for interest's sake. 

5 hours ago, Geoff said:

I've got it and love it but I think the more recent releases are superior. It's a close call though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Listened to this album a couple of times and from what I saw earlier in this thread, pretty sure people were calling it mid

I disagree, as good as the others IMO so far.

Some great songs that will get better, and others that will pop after a few more listens.