Artists you hate!

AlphaMale

interesting thread.

There are genres of music I really dislike but I can absolutely acknowledge that those artists / bands are still really talented in a lot of cases and put on great live shows. 

I guess for me to hate an artist they'd need to be either obnoxious- like for instance Liam Gallagher, or just really useless , like for example that idiot from the pogues. 

Or maybe someone who alienates or disrespects their own fan base like Michael Eden. 

Edited by Glen

• My Little Pony
On 12/31/2022 at 11:41 PM, Geoff said:

I can't think of anyone I hate because I wouldn't hate someone just because they make terrible music. But if I hear Red Hot Chilli Peppers on the radio I get squeamish and my ears begin to fold in on themselves. They'd have to be my most hated, musically, artist that I can think of.  

Just yesterday this guy said to me, "I'm taking my son to his first concert!"

I'm like, "Oh, yeah? Who are you seeing?"

"Red Hot Chili Peppers!"

And I just turned and walked away. Thinking about it now, I guess that was pretty rude, but I had no interest in talking about them. Haha. 

1 hour ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

"Red Hot Chili Peppers!"

And I just turned and walked away. Thinking about it now, I guess that was pretty rude, but I had no interest in talking about them. Haha. 

I saw them in 2003 at a festival and I thought they were very good. 

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Glen said:

And I'm walking away from this conversation, too. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

"Red Hot Chili Peppers!"

I thought One Hot Minute was underrated. Dave Navarro is a good guitarist. But their teeny bopper fans didn't like it and think it is their worst album.

10 hours ago, Glen said:

This could spawn another interesting discussion. Would you rather see a terrible band perform terrible songs very well, or a great band perform excellent songs poorly? I know which I’d rather see. 

And before anyone gets mad I’m sure RHCP are good at what they do, but I personally find them to be atrocious. Personally. 

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Geoff said:

This could spawn another interesting discussion. Would you rather see a terrible band perform terrible songs very well, or a great band perform excellent songs poorly? I know which I’d rather see. 

And before anyone gets mad I’m sure RHCP are good at what they do, but I personally find them to be atrocious. Personally. 

Is that your personal opinion?

• Haha 1

I reckon I would actually prefer to see a band I thought was terrible and be blown away by how good they were, rather than see a band I love and get completely let down by how terrible they were. But, that's just mey personal opinion, personally.

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Is that your personal opinion?

No, it's a fact. But I like to add that it's my personal opinion to appease those easily offended. 

3 hours ago, auslander said:

I reckon I would actually prefer to see a band I thought was terrible and be blown away by how good they were, rather than see a band I love and get completely let down by how terrible they were. But, that's just mey personal opinion, personally.

Interesting. I typed that on my phone earlier today so it was quick, but I was thinking of Glen and how he gets to see a tonne of bands and he's mentioned before that some are poor, which I take, generally, to mean that they're a bit bland / boring. Although in Issa's case I think he meant more than that, rofl.

But to put it in a real world example, thinking back to some of the things he's mentioned; 

Would you rather see RHCP tearing the stage up with an energetic, well played live performance, of utterly terrible, unlistenable songs... but they have great stage presence. Or would you rather see Vega, performing first-class near-flawless melodic rock songs, but they look like "cardboard cut-outs" on stage? 

Maybe it's because I'm a boring, bland type of dude, but I'd take the band with the amazing songs every day and then ten times on Saturday, nine times on Sunday and 15 times on Tuesday. 

I don't doubt that big artists with massive budgets and money to burn can put on a great show, but does it actually matter if the songs are still horrendous? To each their own, I guess. 

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Or would you rather see Vega, performing first-class near-flawless melodic rock songs

So... covers?

• Haha 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
On 2/3/2023 at 4:02 PM, Glen said:

I used to quite like RHCP so wasn't an issue for me. And it was 20 yrs ago when they were a lot better imo. 

Blood Sugar Sex Magik  is a great release by them

• 1 year later...
On 1/20/2023 at 12:08 PM, Captain Howdy said:

Hate is a strong word, and I am quite eclectic in my musical tastes so for me to really dislike an artist it's not necessarily due to their genre.

The Darkness (fuck those vocals)

Coldplay (make me wanna kill myself they are so boring)

U2 (like a few of their earlier songs but overall I dislike them)

Mariah Carey (squeaky voiced annoying bollocks)

That cunt who sang Dance Monkey ... I cannot even be bothered look her dumb fuck name up

I most certainly agree with what you said about the chick who sang Dance Monkey—her voice literally sounds like a monkey too! They used to play that song all the time at Walmart, and it made me want to give myself the ol' Vincent Van Gogh makeover.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2024 at 12:20 PM, GarrisonDreams said:

I most certainly agree with what you said about the chick who sang Dance Monkey—her voice literally sounds like a monkey too! They used to play that song all the time at Walmart, and it made me want to give myself the ol' Vincent Van Gogh makeover.

Dye your hair and beard red?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, auslander said:

Dye your hair and beard red?

Nah, I'd cut my ear off. Except if I did it, I'd cut them BOTH off!

Don't hate any artists.

Obviously some annoy me more than others, usually due to over playing on the radio etc.

Missing You - John Waite and Drive - The Cars are pretty good examples of songs I started to hate, but over the years started to like them.

Most bands I don't like I just stay away from.

The Darkness, Ozzy, Motorhead, etc

can't do many of the lived Aussie acts like Hoodoo Gurus, nick Cave, Wolfmother, Jet, Savage Garden, Black Sorrows, Powderfinger, The Living End, Paul Kelly, Boom Crash Opera.

hard to avoid these here though 😮‍💨

Yeah hate is such a strong word...there are some acts that I strongly dislike...but each to their own taste wise...so long as they don't try to tell me what o like/listen to.