40 year anniversary

Glen

Today is exactly 40 years since my first ever gig. I was 12 yrs old

30th Nov 1982, Gillan Magic tour at Cliffs Pavilion with Spider supporting.

I'd be interested what you guys first gig was and what date? 🍺

• Like 1

Parents took to to Elton John for my first ever show.
I was probably also around 12.
Lasting memory wwas my motehr and her girlfriend constantly talking about the guitar players dick.
Aside from that, it was a great show,
Still Crocodile Rock every so often.

I went to Def Leppard Adrenalize tour of Australia. I think it was 1992 and I was 15, and in Melbourne. My mate and I caught a bus down for it. I remember a massive stage and that the drum kit rose up into the air.  I loved Def Leppard and have to admit the show was great and I bought a tie-died concert shirt that I wore so much afterwards that it fell apart.

• Like 2

I think I've mentioned it before, but my first one was Motor Ace, in Eastwood which is a small suburb in Sydney. It was at a pub/bar so I assume I was 18 or over, so I guess somewhere around 1997 or 1998? I wish I knew too, to be honest. 

• Like 1

Phil Lynott solo show in The Rialto Londonderry 24th June 1982...I was 9...my big sister took me(she was 16)...it was only £4 a ticket...still have the stub...this was a big thing in more ways than one because it was during the troubles  and this was a daily thing and my parents hated us going to the city in case a bombing happened  :(

1 hour ago, lettard said:

Phil Lynott solo show in The Rialto Londonderry 24th June 1982...I was 9...my big sister took me(she was 16)...it was only £4 a ticket...still have the stub...this was a big thing in more ways than one because it was during the troubles  and this was a daily thing and my parents hated us going to the city in case a bombing happened  :(

wowser, great story. And to see Phil as well. Never saw Lizzy or Lynott solo :(

• Like 1

Growing up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, there was no concert scene, and only classical music was permitted to be played in my house, so it wasn't until I left for college in 1984 that I had an opportunity to see any acts... but that first year was a good one.

• Over that Thanksgiving break I stayed with a guy in Michigan where I got to see Armored Saint and Whitesnake opening for Quiet Riot (RIP Kevin Dubrow).
  • The following summer back in PA I went to what is to date the biggest concert event I've ever attended: Live Aid at JFK Stadium in Philadelphia. Physically, the most miserable concert experience ever, as it was almost 100 degrees and I got dehydrated and sunburned like a mofo. That was the first time I ever saw huge video screens (where they played the acts performing at Wembley Stadium in the UK).
  • When I went back to college that fall semester, I saw Y&T opening for Motley Crue on the Theater of Pain tour at Richfield Colisseum in Cleveland.

It's both a shame and a good thing that cellphones with cameras didn't exist to capture the events...

-Dan

• Like 2

First gig was Motley Crue at Birmingham NEC in 1989 with White Lion & Skid Row supporting. I was 14. My 2 uncle's took me so I knew a few weeks in advance and was listening to 'Dr Feelgood' & 'Girls, Girls, Girls' in prep. We didn't arrive in time to see Skid Row. I didn't know them at the time or thus what i was missing. This was the show were Vince through a tantrum and threw his mic into the crowd and walked off - though he/they did return to finish.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/motley-crue/1989/nec-arena-birmingham-england-2bd7446a.html

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warrenamos01 said:

First gig was Motley Crue at Birmingham NEC in 1989 with White Lion & Skid Row supporting. I was 14. My 2 uncle's took me so I knew a few weeks in advance and was listening to 'Dr Feelgood' & 'Girls, Girls, Girls' in prep. We didn't arrive in time to see Skid Row. I didn't know them at the time or thus what i was missing. This was the show were Vince through a tantrum and threw his mic into the crowd and walked off - though he/they did return to finish.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/motley-crue/1989/nec-arena-birmingham-england-2bd7446a.html

shame you missed Skid Row. They were great back then 

• Like 1

My first live experience was D-A-D on April 22, 1995, at a venue which had a capacity of 6000 people.

It was on their Helpyourselfish tour, and every song from that album was included on a setlist consisting of 24 songs. They were at the height of their career both musically and popularity-wise.

I've seen them about 15 times, but this April night was something special.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
20 hours ago, auslander said:

I went to Def Leppard Adrenalize tour of Australia. I think it was 1992 and I was 15, and in Melbourne. My mate and I caught a bus down for it. I remember a massive stage and that the drum kit rose up into the air.  I loved Def Leppard and have to admit the show was great and I bought a tie-died concert shirt that I wore so much afterwards that it fell apart.

I was there too mate. You can't beat the atmosphere of a concert "in the round".

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Edited by Darkstone
  • Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

For me, "Run-D.M.C." in '88 on their "Tougher Than Leather" tour when I was 16.

A bit left field, but I loved these guys in my early teens.

They weren't afraid to embrace Hard Rock guitars in their music.

• Like 1

Def Leppard/ Magnum - St. Albans City Hall  April 5th 1980

Saxon - St. Albans City Hall  May 2nd 1980

3 hours ago, Jez said:

Def Leppard/ Magnum - St. Albans City Hall  April 5th 1980

Saxon - St. Albans City Hall  May 2nd 1980

beautiful, all in their prime 

• Like 1