Metallica announce new album in 2023

Captain Howdy

Provided by Publicity | Photo credit: Tim Saccenti

Photo credit: Tim Saccenti

Metallica dropped an atomic bomb this morning, announcing the brand new album 72 Seasons and sharing the first single, “Lux Æterna”.

“Lux Æterna” is old school thrash, picking right up where Hardwired… to Self-Destruct left off, only this time, guitarist Kirk Hammett was involved in the writing.

72 Seasons will be available April 14, 2023, via the band’s own Blackened Recordings. Produced by Greg Fidelman with founding members James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich, and clocking in at over 77 minutes, the 12-track album is Metallica’s first full length collection of new material since 2016’s Hardwired…To Self-Destruct.

Here’s the track listing for 72 Seasons:

01. 72 Seasons
02. Shadows Follow
03. Screaming Suicide
04. Sleepwalk My Life Away
05. You Must Burn!
06. Lux Æterna
07. Crown Of Barbed Wire
08. Chasing Light
09. If Darkness Had A Son
10. Too Far Gone?
11. Room Of Mirrors
12. Inamorata

72 seasons. The first 18 years of our lives that form our true or false selves,” said Hetfield of the album’s title. “The concept that we were told ‘who we are’ by our parents. A possible pigeonholing around what kind of personality we are. I think the most interesting part of this is the continued study of those core beliefs and how it affects our perception of the world today. Much of our adult experience is reenactment or reaction to these childhood experiences. Prisoners of childhood or breaking free of those bondages we carry.”

https://bloody-disgusting.com/music/3741721/metallica-returns-with-new-album-single-and-tour/

• Like 1

That song is...actually really good, lol.

The main riff sounds like it could have been on Kill 'Em All and Hetfield's voice is in surprisingly great shape.

My only gripe is the drumming, which...well, yeah, there's nothing we can do about that ;)

33 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

That song is...actually really good, lol.

The main riff sounds like it could have been on Kill 'Em All and Hetfield's voice is in surprisingly great shape.

My only gripe is the drumming, which...well, yeah, there's nothing we can do about that ;)

Doesn't sound like Kill em all to me, sounds more somewhere between the classic sound and the commercial sound of the Black album, plus the main riff  is pure "Stone cold crazy" by Queen mixed with a bit of Ramones.

And nothing wrong with the drums as far as I can hear.

• 1 month later...

New Metallica track “Screaming Suicide” just dropped…

I like it, been a fan through think and thin. 

James sounds fucking great, Kirk on the other hand just can’t solo anymore. His solos on Justice were epic now they sound muddled and limited. 

8 hours ago, zacharyamelie said:

I like it, been a fan through think and thin. 

James sounds fucking great, Kirk on the other hand just can’t solo anymore. His solos on Justice were epic now they sound muddled and limited. 

Kirk sounds absolutely fine to me. Nothing muddled about it.

5 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

Second song doesn't do much for me. I liked the first though.

I was of the same opinion on first listen, but really grew on me second time listening to it. Not as good as Lux Eternar but still a very good song. Both songs have me looking forward to the new album.

• Like 1

⚠️ METALLICA: 72 SEASONS - GLOBAL PREMIERE 🗓️ APRIL 13, ONE NIGHT ONLY 🎬 IN CINEMAS WORLDWIDE 🌎

Join the #MetallicaFamily for the official Worldwide Listening Party and be the first to experience the new album a day before its release!

Tickets go on sale on March 2. Get more info at http://www.metallica.film. #Metallica #72Seasons

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Really looking forward to this album as loved all the songs released so far. While I was never a hater of the last two albums, I did think they were trying too hard to recapture their older sound and really lacked hooks. On these songs though they seem to have embraced most of their catalogue of styles (with the exception of Lulu and St Anger). Can defo hear early Tallica in some, a bit of the black album on others and even a bit of the more commercial stuff on the Load albums.

First time in a long time that I have looked forward to a new album by them.

I think the break and James' rehab have done them a world of good.

Sleepwalk My Life Away

Rest of album is available as well

It's a good album. Better than Hardwired and Magnetic, but maybe a bit overly long considering there isn't a lot of variety in the songs. Some tracks defo stand out more than others, but overall nothing bad on the album at all.

What I do like though is they have taken influences from a lot of their back cataloguem without trying to sound like a nostalgia act.

• Like 1