Metallica announce new album in 2023

Captain Howdy

On 4/14/2023 at 3:01 PM, Captain Howdy said:

It's a good album. Better than Hardwired and Magnetic, but maybe a bit overly long considering there isn't a lot of variety in the songs. Some tracks defo stand out more than others, but overall nothing bad on the album at all.

What I do like though is they have taken influences from a lot of their back cataloguem without trying to sound like a nostalgia act.

Agree that it's better than the previous two releases for sure. The problem I'm having is that some of these songs just feel like they drone on forever. Anytime you go over the 5-5:30 mark, that song better be fucking magnificent to hold the listeners attention. With that said, Lux Aeterna (by far the best track on the album, and also the shortest), the title track, Screaming Suicide, Sleepwalk My Life Away, Crown of Barbed Wire, and Too Far Gone? are the tracks that are sticking with me so far. Musically, Inamorata is good, it's just too damn long. 

18 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

Agree that it's better than the previous two releases for sure. The problem I'm having is that some of these songs just feel like they drone on forever. Anytime you go over the 5-5:30 mark, that song better be fucking magnificent to hold the listeners attention. With that said, Lux Aeterna (by far the best track on the album, and also the shortest), the title track, Screaming Suicide, Sleepwalk My Life Away, Crown of Barbed Wire, and Too Far Gone? are the tracks that are sticking with me so far. Musically, Inamorata is good, it's just too damn long. 

As I have said in previous topics on this subject, I actually have no issue with long tracks and even albums full of them, but like you say, there should be a reason for the song to be that long and for it to be able to hold the attention which a lot of these songs do not do. The singles for this album are for me the stand out tracks, which may be down to familiarity, but at the same time none of them actually feel that long.

Nobody really wants an album that runs for 30 mins, but at the same time I think anything over an hour always runs the risk of overstaying its welcome, and from what I have seen this album clocks in at 77 minutes, which is at least 17 mins too long.

Some albums can pull it off, especially if there is a diversity in the songs, but my biggest issue with this album is that most of the songs are a bit samey. Some absolute standout tracks, no doubt but also some I just do not see entering my playlist.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

A very good release by them. I do agree with the last 2 comments that Inamorata is too long and there are a couple of songs that I could do without.But overall it is what it is and I'm happy with it. I'd say Shadows Follow is my favorite song