Crazy Lixx list of 10 best Hair Metal albums of 21st Century

Here's the article:

https://loudwire.com/best-21st-century-hair-metal-albums-crazy-lixx/

Here's their picks:

Darkness - Permission to Land (2003)

Hardcore Superstar - Hardcore Superstar (2005)

Crashdiet - Rest in Sleaze (2005)

Marcello Vestry - Marcello Vestry (2008)

Steel Panther - Feel the Steel (2009)

Crazy Lixx - New Religion (2010) 

Bad City - Welcome to the Wasteland (2010)

Reckless Love - Animal Attraction (2011)

H.e.a.t. - Address the Nation (2012)

Wildness - Ultimate Demise (2020)

What do people think of Crazy Lixx's picks? I love they included their own album (deservedly so).

I think that Bad City is an important selectiona nd makes me actually show interest in this list.

Aside from Darkness, which is shit, the others I need to hear are...

Reckless Love - Animal Attraction (2011) (not sure why I don't have this)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

I think that Bad City is an important selectiona nd makes me actually show interest in this list.

Aside from Darkness, which is shit, the others I need to hear are...

Reckless Love - Animal Attraction (2011) (not sure why I don't have this)

I just bought Marcello Vestry on Amazon for the same reason and have started a bid on ebay for the Wildness album. I have all the others, except Steel Panther which I sold a few years back. 

Snake Bite Whisky

Ablaze

Sisters Doll

Some Australian bands that slip under guard, even some Australians don't know who they are.

Edited by Doggy

5 hours ago, Doggy said:

Snake Bite Whisky

Ablaze

Sisters Doll

Some Australian bands that slip under guard, even some Australians don't know who they are.

Haha, not sure any of those bands have any business near a best of 21st Century top 10 list. ;)

Anyway, the list is (mostly) fine - it's their opinion so to each their own. But it cheapens your list and is a bit of an insult to anyone not on it when you include a Darkness album. For the sake of the argument, let's just pluck anything - Danger Danger - 'Revolve.' The album is not important. But what is, is that these guys are saying that 'Permission to land' is a better album than Danger Danger's 'Revolve' or (insert any great CD from the last 21 years). Like I say, to each their own, but for me it very much cheapens the validity of the list. 

I do think the Crashdiet, Marcello/Vestry, Steel Panther, Crazy Lixx and HEAT selections are all very nice. Hardscore Superstar, Reckless Love and Wildness are all great bands, but as Glen says, they all have better albums than ones listed. IMO, of course. The Bad City album is great, with a good reputation, so can't begrudge that one either. 

But the Darkness. :(

13 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Haha, not sure any of those bands have any business near a best of 21st Century top 10 list. ;)

Anyway, the list is (mostly) fine - it's their opinion so to each their own. But it cheapens your list and is a bit of an insult to anyone not on it when you include a Darkness album. For the sake of the argument, let's just pluck anything - Danger Danger - 'Revolve.' The album is not important. But what is, is that these guys are saying that 'Permission to land' is a better album than Danger Danger's 'Revolve' or (insert any great CD from the last 21 years). Like I say, to each their own, but for me it very much cheapens the validity of the list. 

I do think the Crashdiet, Marcello/Vestry, Steel Panther, Crazy Lixx and HEAT selections are all very nice. Hardscore Superstar, Reckless Love and Wildness are all great bands, but as Glen says, they all have better albums than ones listed. IMO, of course. The Bad City album is great, with a good reputation, so can't begrudge that one either. 

But the Darkness. :(

I don't hate the Darkness as much as most here :D that being said, it wouldn't be in my top ten. The reasons it is mostly chosen is more due to its importance in the resurgence of our favourite genre. It was an important album. As I said, not a favourite of mine, but it was still important in the early 2000s.

13 minutes ago, auslander said:

I don't hate the Darkness as much as most here :D that being said, it wouldn't be in my top ten. The reasons it is mostly chosen is more due to its importance in the resurgence of our favourite genre. It was an important album. As I said, not a favourite of mine, but it was still important in the early 2000s.

"Important," perhaps. But not one of the "Best." ;)

I'm not sure I hate the Darkness. I've actually heard all their albums because I'm a nosey bastard. My thing with them is just that I think they're a genuinely terrible band that write terrible songs. I'll admit you could probably fill an EP or maybe even mini-album now, with songs they've recorded so far that are actually pretty decent, catchy tunes. But for the most part, and this is aside from the fuckwit's horrendous voice, I just think they write horrible songs, lol. 

I've always said the dudes showed their musicality on that Stone Gods album, and the musicianship/production on the new album is top notch. But you still can't polish a dog shit, and if you can't write a decent song, you're still going to sound like a terrible band. Which they do flawlessly. :)

10 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

This will probably end up being your most played album come end of December. 

Edited by Ponen

Is anybody else confused by this list? H.E.A.T? Marcello Vestry? The Darkness?  so is this a glam list or hair metal? because I dont draw really any kinds of connections between the sounds of Crashdiet or Bad City and shit like Marcello Vestry, maybe im just to picky idk, the fact they did this list blows my mind but at least be accurate about it ya know, it's like putting fucking Korn on a Pantera list, only someone who really wasnt a listener to them would pile them on a list together

3 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Is anybody else confused by this list? H.E.A.T? Marcello Vestry? The Darkness?  so is this a glam list or hair metal? because I dont draw really any kinds of connections between the sounds of Crashdiet or Bad City and shit like Marcello Vestry, maybe im just to picky idk, the fact they did this list blows my mind but at least be accurate about it ya know, it's like putting fucking Korn on a Pantera list, only someone who really wasnt a listener to them would pile them on a list together

Not everyone has a strict definition of glam, sleaze, hair metal, hard rock etc... like we do here on this forum...basically I view their list as newer bands that were influenced by music from the 80s and early 90s.....

• Like 3

• 2023 Gold Donors
1 hour ago, Dead Planet said:
5 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

Not everyone has a strict definition of glam, sleaze, hair metal, hard rock etc... like we do here on this forum...basically I view their list as newer bands that were influenced by music from the 80s and early 90s.....

This band is more glam metal than hair metal but I would put Hinder-Extreme Behavior right up there.

15 hours ago, nyoilers said:

This band is more glam metal than hair metal but I would put Hinder-Extreme Behavior right up there.

I'm sure you meant Take it to the limit ;)

19 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

Yeah, I see it the same - you could throw any 80's influenced rock band under the "hair metal" tag if you wanted.  

• My Little Pony
On 11/6/2021 at 1:23 AM, Glen said:

I'm sure you meant Take it to the limit ;)

Ooh, totally forgot about that album. Gonna have to revisit. 

• 4 weeks later...

So I gave Marcello-Vestry a spin

My first thought was that the first song, and a few others, have a Vito Bratta vibe to the guitar,
Or even Robert Rodrigo vibe from Airless.

Shame the songs are a bit too synthy for me.
But only a bit, so I'll give it a few more tries.
Were a couple of songs that grabbed me.

6 hours ago, CureTheSane said:

So I gave Marcello-Vestry a spin

My first thought was that the first song, and a few others, have a Vito Bratta vibe to the guitar,
Or even Robert Rodrigo vibe from Airless.

Shame the songs are a bit too synthy for me.
But only a bit, so I'll give it a few more tries.
Were a couple of songs that grabbed me.

synthy? really. I need to spin that again. I thought it had quite a ballsy guitar sound 🤔 

One second in the synth hits.
It's the worst kinds as well, the unnecessary kind.
I get bands that are all synthy, and that's their thing, but I think they were trying to add to teh songs with something extra and it didn't work.
That said, I wasn't noticing them on all sons, so maybe it was just a few that they hit up.
Also need to rehear.

Lol, jeez some folk come up with interesting reasons to not like good music. Thankfully for me, either a song is good or it's not and the process in pretty simple. 

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Lol, jeez some folk come up with interesting reasons to not like good music. Thankfully for me, either a song is good or it's not and the process in pretty simple. 

Not really. Never been a fan of heavy synth, especially syrupy synth.
But then VH brought a bit in with Sammy and I was a fan.
Depends how it's done.

When I started listening to this album I thought I'd made a mistukake.
But as I said before, I don't recall it flowing through all the songs and on a second listen some have little or no annoying synth.
Good songs are good songs, even ones with synth.
Just takes me a whiole to get into them.
Guffria is a good example.