I Like Beer!

Blue Charvel

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In a little while I'll be goin' out to buy some *real* beer for tomorrow's Memorial Day BBQ

What's your fave one there bro ?

When I can afford it - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

When I can't - Pabst Blue Ribbon.

• 3 weeks later...

Remember that godawful "Boxer" beer that I was ranting about in this thread a while back? I wrote a HubPage entry about it to warn others about this noxious brew!

9034131_f520.jpg
http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/Bad-Beer-Alert-BOXER-Lager

Its godawful. Serve it to someone you hate.

Its godawful. Serve it to someone you hate.

But I hate a lot of people.

That's OK, it's cheap shit. You can get a 36 pack (!!) for about $14.

Had six pints of this last night; beautiful stuff:

1421.jpg

Great at the time, feeling slightly less good now. ;)

Six got you feeling a little less than good? Lightweight.

It's age, mate. I used to go out and drink 10 pints, no worries at all. Changed when I was in my mid-late twenties. Now, even 4 pints can be a bad idea on a work night. Usually 5 is fine, 6 is dodgy midweek and 7 is a definite mistake.

Yeah, I don't know if you're old enough to blame it on age.

He is, trust me ...

Hey, anyone dig Irish beer ? Can anyone recommend which one is the best ? I'm looking at several imported bottles the other day but have no idea so just pick one, Kilkenny, if i'm not mistaken. Too bitter but not bad though

What kind of beer do you like? There's Harp Lager created by Guinness, oh, and there's Guinness Stout. I prefer Murphy's Irish Stout. Try Smithwick's if you like red ales. I personally love Kilkenny, but you don't want something bitter.

The ONLY way to drink Guiness is in Dublin ... my cousin lives in Minnesota, and took me to an 'English Pub', 'cause he knew I liked Guiness ... the stuff they were serving tasted like it had been scraped off the road ... Guiness doesn't travel well, my friends ...

If you're after a nice Irish beer, try Caffreys ... *hic* ...

• My Little Pony

Hey, anyone dig Irish beer ? Can anyone recommend which one is the best ? I'm looking at several imported bottles the other day but have no idea so just pick one, Kilkenny, if i'm not mistaken. Too bitter but not bad though

What kind of beer do you like? There's Harp Lager created by Guinness, oh, and there's Guinness Stout. I prefer Murphy's Irish Stout. Try Smithwick's if you like red ales. I personally love Kilkenny, but you don't want something bitter.

The ONLY way to drink Guiness is in Dublin ... my cousin lives in Minnesota, and took me to an 'English Pub', 'cause he knew I liked Guiness ... the stuff they were serving tasted like it had been scraped off the road ... Guiness doesn't travel well, my friends ...

If you're after a nice Irish beer, try Caffreys ... *hic* ...

Not all Guinness is brewed in Ireland. If it's in a bottle, it comes from Quebec - at least up here, it does. The stuff in cans is from Ireland. There are so many factors as to why it may not have been very good.

Wow, I forgot I even started this thread, and now I own a beer bar... how prophetic... :D

We actually put Guinness (and Harp) on tap for St. Patty's Day this year. Being our first year in business we weren't sure how our South Philly Italian/Hipster neighborhood would respond... let's just say we had Guinness on tap for a long time after that. I actually enjoy it (even after it makes the long trip to the US), but it's definitely better in Ireland. :beerbang:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on my third or fourth Yuengling Lager of the afternoon (I've already lost count? That's not a good sign...), this stuff is well on its way to becoming my "go-to" brew.

While in the store re-stocking my Yuengling Lager supply over the weekend I saw a very strange idea for a flavored beer - I forget what brewery it was from but it was a Chocolate & Peanut Butter Porter. I was like "Seriously? BLEAH." I mean, I love chocolate, and I love peanut butter, but I can't see how those flavors could possibly work in a beer. The guy behind the counter overheard me and sez that it sounds nasty to him too but he'd been selling quite a bit of it, surprisingly. Anyone ever tried this bizarre combo??

• My Little Pony

While in the store re-stocking my Yuengling Lager supply over the weekend I saw a very strange idea for a flavored beer - I forget what brewery it was from but it was a Chocolate & Peanut Butter Porter. I was like "Seriously? BLEAH." I mean, I love chocolate, and I love peanut butter, but I can't see how those flavors could possibly work in a beer. The guy behind the counter overheard me and sez that it sounds nasty to him too but he'd been selling quite a bit of it, surprisingly. Anyone ever tried this bizarre combo??

One of my friends posted this on FaceTubes. I can't remember the brewery, but my reaction was the same as yours. This friend doesn't even drink, so he didn't know any better.

• 2 weeks later...

1 large bottle of Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar Ale

Coffee, cocoa, hazelenut and caramel flavors. Full bodied and flavor to the last sip.

Just about the tastiest dark beer I've ever had. Try a bottle. I'm getting some more soon

• 1 month later...

One of my friends posted this on FaceTubes. I can't remember the brewery, but my reaction was the same as yours. This friend doesn't even drink, so he didn't know any better.

There are two that I'm aware of out here on the east coast, and I've had one of them, and put it on tap at my bar.

Spring House "Big Gruesome" Chocolate Peanut Butter Imperial Stout, which is really delicious, and...

DuClaw Brewing "Sweet Baby Jesus" Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, which I haven't had, but gets mixed reviews.

The Spring House across the board was enjoyed by every guest I suggested it too, it's really quite good and the peanut butter comes through quite nicely.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, Pete, how the hell did that happen? That's really cool.

So which beer do you have at your bar which represents your fondness for Australia and the handsome men it produces? If its Fosters, I will come over there and smack your bottom tenderly before verbal abuse. I hope it's something nice, though. A Fat Yak or James Squire to advertise the brilliance of our craft.

Had a lot of sensational beers lately (sadly, still not including my home brew, which is okay but still lacking). Some of my recent faves have been Alpha Pale Ale, Beechworth Pale Ale, Australian Brewery Pale Ale, Hop Hog, and I'm as surprised as I am delighted to say, that one of our huge supermarket chains in Australia (Woolworths) have a kind of "home brand" beer for lack of a better term, which is damn fine, I must say. John Boston Pale Ale (not had the Golden Ale yet) is delicious!!

On a sour note, I finally got to taste Jez's Old Speckled Hen recently when my wife included it in a wonderful 20+ variety pack for Father's Day. Not to be harsh, but it was basically my least favourite of the whole bunch. :( Different pallets, I guess. :(