I Like Beer!

Blue Charvel

Geoff, you obviously like your Pale ales a lot more than the darker, stronger, more fruity stuff like Old Speckled Hen. There are 3 other variations now. 'Golden Hen' which is lighter (4.0% ABV), Old Hoppy Hen (4.2% ABV) both of which might be more your taste and 'Old Crafty Hen' which is very strong at 6.5% ABV. If you get a chance, try Timothy Taylors 'Landord', (4.3% ABV) which is a little lighter, paler ale and maybe more up your street as well. There is also another newish brew over here called 'Doom Bar' (4.0%ABV) which is a superb ale brewed in Cornwall...all very very nice

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Geoff, you obviously like your Pale ales a lot more than the darker, stronger, more fruity stuff like Old Speckled Hen. There are 3 other variations now. 'Golden Hen' which is lighter (4.0% ABV), Old Hoppy Hen (4.2% ABV) both of which might be more your taste and 'Old Crafty Hen' which is very strong at 6.5% ABV. If you get a chance, try Timothy Taylors 'Landord', (4.3% ABV) which is a little lighter, paler ale and maybe more up your street as well. There is also another newish brew over here called 'Doom Bar' (4.0%ABV) which is a superb ale brewed in Cornwall...all very very nice

I'd love to try that Old Hoppy Hen, or the Old Crafty Hen. Is that like an IPA? I'll note the Timothy Taylor one too (not sure I've seen it around here?). I will literally try any and all beers I see at least once... they just need to be available to me. :)

One of our bartenders just texted me a pic of the Landlord yesterday, said it was awesome, have to get ahold of one of those. Love the Doom Bar, great stuff. Not sure we have it over here, but I've had it a few times on my last two trips to the UK.

• 5 months later...

Holy gone forever, Batman!

Pete, congrats on the new development! But both of those links in your sig don't lead to anything about a bar. (The one in your profile does, but not your sig.)

As a matter of fact, if I ever venture out on the road again, I'll have to swing by.

I'm sure you know which things to get, but if you ever need any suggestions, shoot an old guy a PM. lol

(Drinking a Wulver, bourbon barrel ages wee heavy from Thirsty Dog Brewing here in OH. Gotta say, I've heard about Big Gruesome and would love to try it. Sweet Baby Jesus was a tremendous let down.)

On a sour note, I finally got to taste Jez's Old Speckled Hen recently when my wife included it in a wonderful 20+ variety pack for Father's Day. Not to be harsh, but it was basically my least favourite of the whole bunch. :( Different pallets, I guess. :(

I remember reading his posts about that and I gave OSH a try too. Didn't do anything for me either, but as you mentioned, everyone's tastes are different. But on the good side, that's less of it that you and I will take up and Jez can have more. lol

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit, Pete, how the hell did that happen? That's really cool.

So which beer do you have at your bar which represents your fondness for Australia and the handsome men it produces? If its Fosters, I will come over there and smack your bottom tenderly before verbal abuse. I hope it's something nice, though. A Fat Yak or James Squire to advertise the brilliance of our craft.

Hey bud, the short version is it basically happened when five of us bought out our printing department from the consulting company we were part of, my boss at the time became the 55% owner, hired his wife with zero experience and a real attyitude problem as our CFO, HR, and basically boss of everything, including me who had been the Director of Operations. One day he told me to he needed me to just "shut up and do what Mary tells you to", so I started planning my career change, and bought a bar in South Philly with a longtime friend from high school.

As far as Aussie beer, I don't think we've had too much. It's very expensive and tends not to make the trip around the world sucessfully from a quality standpoint... that being said I recently pre-ordered a salt and pepper gose that I believe is produed in Australia, because I tasted it, and just had to have it, lol...

Holy gone forever, Batman!

Pete, congrats on the new development! But both of those links in your sig don't lead to anything about a bar. (The one in your profile does, but not your sig.)

Wow man, I haven't talked to you in like forever brother, how goes it??? Thanks for letting me know about the sig. I fixed the text but apparently not the links, duh... fixed now, and hell yes if you're ever in Philly hit me up, we gotta have a beer. It's Philly Beer Week right now, and it's a crazy time in the city. Philly is all about craft beer, and I'm not talking about Sam seasonals and such, lol... sounds like you're drinking some solid stuff out there, I think you'd appreciate our taplist immensely. :beerbang:

Just smashed a couple of Flying Dogs spiced with Old Bay. Sounds crazy, but they were actually decent. I would tell you what I had for lunch, but who the fuck cares. It's all about the beer!

Just had a few Hop House 13 lagers watchin the champions league final,nice but a little on the sweet side,btw its the new lager from Guinness,and no it tastes nothing like the Breo white beer they tried back in 1998 ;)

Tried tequila-flavoured beer last night (which was just like lemon and limeade) and rum beer, which was sweet but very nice. Feeling remarkably healthy today, considering. :tumbsup:

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

'Mericans may not know how to play sports proper ( ;) ) but I'll give it to y'all, that you sure know this beer thing pretty well.

I've basically narrowed my tastes down to American Pale Ale - all or nothing. Or an IPA. But I can't settle for the lesser stuff anymore. Even the Australian Pale Ale - I'll admit it - is lost on me. Just an average beer with more similarities to a lager than ale. The hop flavour I constantly get from American Pale Ales... that's the shit.

The Sierra Nevada Hop Hunter and the Pintail Pale Ale would have to be my favourite beers at the moment. And I'll give a nod to Australia's very own James Squire Hop Thief. Those 3 satisfy me greatly.

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2015 at 2:41 AM, Blue Charvel said:

By the way, if y'all are on the Untappd app, I'd be happy to have you as a friend. Love to see what everyone else in the melodic rock world is drinking!

https://untappd.com/user/bluecharvel

Just threw a friend request your way.  Other than Denny, it'll be cool to have someone from back in the day on Untappd with me.

Also, I almost made it to Philly this summer.  (Well, not almost, but there was a class I could have taken, but I'm not sure they'd have approved the Philidelphia week because there are at least 2 other options closer.  But, I would have LOVED to have spent the week there.)

This past weekend I was lucky enough to have a great sour from O'so in Wisconsin called Arbre Qui Donne and a very different, but wonderful, IPA from Illuminated in Chicago called Spoonful of Sugar.  (Among many others.)  There are just so damn many good beers out there nowadays that there's always something new on the horizon.

Hope some of you other folks are still drinking and trying good, new stuff.

• 3 months later...