Maverick - Ethereality

Stefan

15 hours ago, tts42572 said:

Maverick had a listening party on You Tube today and played the entire new album along with plenty of tidbits.  This is pretty long but can skip through to the songs if you'd like to check it out.  Not sure if they'll leave this up or take it down.

Sounding damn good to me.  It probably follows along with their last album in terms of being a bit heavier.

Lots of good tunes but think my early favorite is probably Never.  That one starts at the 1:19:40 mark in the video.

sounding like this one will top their last album for me, thanks for sharing

This is out today I think as the album is showing up on Spotify for me.  Not sure if it might be different in other parts of the world.

I did enjoy their last album but do think this one is topping it for me.

2 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

This is out today I think as the album is showing up on Spotify for me.  Not sure if it might be different in other parts of the world.

I did enjoy their last album but do think this one is topping it for me.

thanks for the heads up , I thought it was released tomorrow for some reason??? 

1 hour ago, Glen said:

thanks for the heads up , I thought it was released tomorrow for some reason??? 

I thought that too lol....Thought everything basically came out on Fridays?  Nice surprise though.

Agree that it's just a straight ahead rock album that basically just continues what they've been doing.  It might be their heaviest sounding album from top to bottom but they're a pretty consistent band IMO. 

I think Never is probably my favorite song so far and it might be the most melodic/hooky tune.  I dig the heavier stuff here too though....some cool riffs in some of these songs.   

Thanx for the heads up on the release...although I must say that I'm slightly disappointed that I haven't received any word from them after preordering it over a year ago  :( ah well...

Played this one a few times now and I’m not really sure what to say other than it’s just ‘good’. I don’t think its their best album by far (Big Red & Cold Star Dancer are better). Whilst there isn’t a bad track on this there are others that are superior - my favourites being Falling (Killer track with a big Skid Row vibe), Thirst, Switchblade, Angels 6 and The Last One. 

Most reviews have this down as some monster of a release - Id have to disagree. It has a nice flow to it but there are a few tracks missing any real hooks or replay power. Ethereality has given me a couple of new favourite Maverick tunes, but on the whole I have to say the albums not as good as I’d hoped.

That being said, it is a solid Hard Rock album to add to their already excellent catalogue and I will look forward to catching them live hopefully next year. 

I'd agree that some of their previous stuff was more melodic with bigger hooks.

The solos have been toned down as well. 

Having said that overall I think its better than Cold Star Dancer, but QQP remains their best imo 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Glen said:

I'd agree that some of their previous stuff was more melodic with bigger hooks.

The solos have been toned down as well. 

Having said that overall I think its better than Cold Star Dancer, but QQP remains their best imo 

Agree 100%

I actually prefer Big Red...but Quid Pro Quo does contain such belters as Got It Bad,for example,but I don't think they've released a bad disc,which is a good thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lettard said:

I actually prefer Big Red...but Quid Pro Quo does contain such belters as Got It Bad,for example,but I don't think they've released a bad disc,which is a good thing.

+1

I'd say Got It Bad easily remains my favorite Maverick tune but I'd probably say Big Red is my favorite album.  Quid is very good too though and probably their most varied album.  For me, I'd put this new one slightly ahead of Cold Star Dancer.    

As you say, either way a very consistent band and I enjoy all their releases.

Not sure how I missed this.
Album came out a couple of days ago, so imma track it down.

For SOME REASON, I have also missed their 2018 album release.
Not sure how that happened.
Guess I get a lot of Maverick this week....

• 3 months later...

Seems like I might rate this a bit higher than others here. I really like this band and really like this album. The song that made me dig up this thread, and the one will that contend for song of the year for me is this one (I admit it's a little tacky, but so truly awesome)-

• Like 4