Toby Hitchcock - Reckoning

Stefan

The debut album that Eric Martensson made for him is excellent... despite the muddy production job. But that was 100% pure Martensson in his prime. I can't see any way this new album with have anything in common with that, but here's hoping. Anyone know if Martensson is on board again? 

According to Amazon its produced by Daniel Flores this time around so Im expecting it to be a bit more AORish than the previous..the description on Amazon reads:

"This time Toby hooked up with another super talented Swedish producer Daniel Flores (Murder of My Sweet, Mind's Eye, Find Me) and the result is that another marriage made in the AOR stratosphere was celebrated! Consequently Daniel started to collect and work on a bunch of amazing songs which have been sung with ability and passion by Toby. "Reckoning" shows once again the unbelievable vocal talent from Toby Hitchcock whose abilities keep getting better and better. There is no reason to miss this record, which promises to be easily one of the top Melodic Rock albums of the year ! FOR FANS OF: Survivor, Journey, Foreigner, Pride of Lions "

Toby has such a powerful voice.  Martensson's songwriting may have gotten a bit formulaic of late but for me this new song isn't as strong as the ones he wrote on Mercury's Down.  I look forward to hearing the album though and am still hopeful there will be some standout tracks even without Erik's involvement this time around.

Edited by Crazysam

Not really doin it for me,loved the debut and I think it was because it was so different for Toby to sound like he did on that,this is more like the Pride Of Lions type thing that Im not much of a fan of either...still room for hope maybe the other tracks are more my thing...don't hold out much hope of that though  :(

Edited by lettard

From Frontiers:

BREAKING NEWS: Frontiers Music Srl announces the release of TOBY HITCHCOCK's second solo album, “Reckoning” on January 25, 2019.

Powerhouse American vocalist Toby Hitchcock is back with a brand new solo album, “Reckoning”. The album was written and produced in collaboration with Swedish producer Daniel Flores (Find Me, The Murder of My Sweet).

Toby first came to the attention of melodic rock fans when former Survivor founding member Jim Peterik hand-picked him to be the lead singer for Pride Of Lions, the band that would mark Jim's return to the rock scene.

With Pride of Lions, Toby has sung on five studio albums which are considered true classics among the melodic rock/AOR faithful. Often compared to Bobby Kimball (Toto), Jimi Jamison (Survivor), and Lou Gramm (Foreigner), Hitchcock’s voice has the depth, feeling and the feel of each of them, while still keeping his own identity and trademark.

When Pride of Lions took a small hiatus in 2011, Toby took the opportunity to hook up with Swedish songwriter/producer Erik Martensson (Eclipse (Sweden), W.E.T., Ammunition) for his first solo album, “Mercury’s Down.” The album was a display of the talent of the two young guns, with Toby showing an unbelievable set of pipes on some heavier material, specially penned for him by Martensson.

In 2017, work on a new solo album started with Toby once again looking to Sweden for another exciting collaboration. Swedish producer Daniel Flores (Find Me, The Murder Of My Sweet) crafted a superb set of songs that are an absolute AOR gem of an album.

Toby Hitchcock says, "being able to record my second solo album was a big step for me. I didn’t want to be a “one hit wonder” type of artist. So I’m very thankful for the opportunity to record a sophomore album. Working on my own solo record is really a great way for me to be creative on my own, so it’s very satisfying, and I love the feeling. Both of my solo projects were produced by different artists. So they feel completely different. This is a great thing for music lovers, as it brings a different vibe. This allows me to really explore my vocals and just have a great time doing it. Both albums have been amazing to work on and I couldn’t be happier."

“Reckoning” is a must hear release for all melodic rock/AOR fans out there. Buckle up and enjoy the ride!

https://www.facebook.com/tobykhitchcock

Hmmm. There is a great song in there. But I also hear a bit of POL-ism that actually brings the song back a few pegs. If it was let to run free it'd be great... but yeah, just get rid of any POL influence please. :)

Still, pretty cool tune. 

• 1 month later...