How do you listen to your music?

Dark

I'm intrigued to know how the real music enthusiasts listen to their music. I've been collecting mp3's for years now so i use Media Monkey on the PC which has all my music on it and spend a lot of time in my computer room with music playing in the background. When i'm out and about I use a Microsoft Zune MP3 player which has what i've got queued up to listen to constantly synced through the Zune software and Media Monkey on the PC acts as a media server so i have the same software installed on a laptop which can be plugged in to a stereo in the kitchen or the home theater system in the living room and everything can be streamed across the wireless network. I get through an average of a 100 tracks a day that way :)

I listen to one hour of MP3 tracks on my laptop during my one hour train commute to work every morning. I bring 8 CDs in my backpack per day, and if not I'll bring a USB stick with recent releases, or an MP3 CDR with recent releases. But in 2015, it's been 8-9 CDs every working day. And as a courier, I spin those 8-9 CDs one after another all day in the car. :)

Then same thing on the way home I listen to a hour of MP3s on my laptop (always stuff I'm just trying to organise/rate).

Inbetween, I just listen to stuff on a USB stick in my car to and from the train station and on the weekends and stuff. It's funny, though. The way my life's panned out, I don't actually really hear much music at all on a weekend. Basically, just to and from the beach when I go for an early surf is all I really get on the weekend. Otherwise I have wife and bub in the car and listen to mundane radio. :)

Thankfully, though, I am very happy with the amount of music I get to hear during the week.

I have my ipod loaded to its 16gb maximum and listen to it for 7 hours everyday at work(I walk all day in my job,about 30miles per day) its got all my favourites plus any new releases that ive purchased to try out.

Between work I have the cd player on in the car constantly...when im in it that is,and when I get home I use the pc to blast tracks whilst im getting cleaned up,listening to at least 8 to 10 albums everyday :)

I have my ipod loaded to its 16gb maximum and listen to it for 7 hours everyday at work(I walk all day in my job,about 30miles per day) its got all my favourites plus any new releases that ive purchased to try out.

Between work I have the cd player on in the car constantly...when im in it that is,and when I get home I use the pc to blast tracks whilst im getting cleaned up,listening to at least 8 to 10 albums everyday :)

I'm curious - what do you do for work, to walk 30 miles per day? Jeez you must be fit! ;)

It's good to know i'm not the only one running a music marathon every day!

I started out listening to what ever i got my hands on alphabetically but after 8 years i hadn't got past H and in recent times with the rate new stuff is coming in i rarely got out beyond C. So i've had a change of tactic this last month. I put around 200 alphabetical tracks in to the to listen to list along with, 5 Compilations and fill the rest with what i want to listen to. I figure i should get round to hearing what i'm interested in before i slip of the dish now :)

Since 2006 i've listened to 11920 releases which comprises of 4024 album artists, 12218 individual artists, 142219 tracks lasting 9909 hours 43 minutes.

I listen to cd's in my car and in my classic 1998 Sony CD Radio Cassette-corder...sometimes in my PC. If I want to hear stuff I don't have, I surf through Youtube or listen to what Stefan posted here on HH.

The variety and amount of music I listen to has dwindled since getting married in 2001 and even further more since I barely sit at my computer to work on Ebay stuff like I did daily between 2002 and 2010ish. My commute to work is only about 5 to 10 minutes, so two or three songs at most.

I'm roughly sitting on 500 or so cd's in my collection, it consists of probably only 100 to a 150 or so different artists. I still have about 200 cdrs of stuff for the car, since I don't want to abuse my real cd's and lots of these cdrs is of music I no longer have and sold or traded throughout the years.

I sometimes download some songs of bands that I don't feel I need the full cd.

I miss the days of my Sony discman (between 1990 to 2000) with its plastic grip. I was forced to listen to the same thing along my trek (ok I'd bring a few different cd's), but I got to appreciate music alot more. Nowadays it's in one ear and out the other for much of the music I'm exposed to.

I know what you mean, a hell of a lot goes in one ear and out of the other for me too but i have stumbled across some great tracks i'd never have discovered if i didn't listen to everything i can get my hands on.

The coolest thing i've done here is install Picasa which gives me the Google Screen Saver. I have three monitors on my PC and i've saved a high res (or as high a res as i can find) of every album i've listened to and i point the Google Screen Saver at it. It then shows an album cover full screen on each of the three monitors and they slide to the left rotating randomly constantly. It's great to see the covers in their full glory and it reminds of some great albums. I watch it for ages sometimes :)

Mainly ipod - 2 hrs a day on commute.

Also, just in process of setting the system back up at home, and getting some cds out to listen - ive only got storage for about 300 at the moment so having to be a bit selective.

With my ears, unlike some one here ;)

My van is my main place now during the week. I take about 5-6 discs with me every day and usually get through most whilst i'm driving around all day. I listen to less at the weekend, as I'm usually out and about rehearsing or gigging but I slip the occasional disc or 2 on when I can

Deezer over iphone , tablet, pc, TV. Wherever I am.

Looove digital.

I would if i could too but the internet around these parts is utterly shit.

I also hate anything made by Apple so i tend to find i'm in a minority when it comes to how i listen to my music. Haven't met anyone else using a Zune

I have a CD player on my desk @ work that is going all day long, and I also listen to tunes on the drive to and from work.

Every couple of days I grab a dozen or so random discs out of my cabinet and throw'em in my knapsack that I carry to and from work. I play that dozen till I get sick of 'em and then I swap'em out for a fresh batch. Repeat as necessary.

Oddly enough I rarely listen to music while I'm at home (too busy with other stuff), but when I'm on the computer I might spin a few things via Spotify.

I don't own an MP3 player (my kids each have one though) and have no plans to get one anytime soon. You can have my CDs when you pry them from my cold dead fingers. :lol:

• My Little Pony

Four 16Gb USB sticks for the car.

Stoopid little 1Gb Nano for the work truck and my stereo on the work site.

PC once I'm home. Sometimes I just spin albums all night, but I also watch TV/film, and game a fair bit.

I probably average 7-8 hours of music a day. And there still isn't enough time in a day.

• My Little Pony

Four 16Gb USB sticks for the car.

Christ on a bike! That's a lotta tracks to drive to :)

I haven't actually found the time to load them all. One is completely full, and contains AOR, Hard Rock, and Metal artists from A-D. And another contains an assortment of Hip Hop, Pop, R&B, and Soul. But it took so much time to select which artists I wanted, and then edit all the filenames so they would display properly, that I've momentarily given up.

I have Dan to thank for this madness. I think I'm gonna need a few more sticks, though.

People don't appreciate how much time it takes to properly tag a collection of music. I must have put in hundreds and hundreds of hours to tag the 140,000 tracks i've done so far and that's not even scraped the surface of what's in my to listen to folder.

My missus has a USB port in her car and she has a 64GB stick full of pop compilations.

I have a car kit for my MP3 player which i plug the player in to and it broadcasts it to the radio. Not particularly good quality but enough to get an idea whether the album is good or not and if it is i'll give it a respin with good headphones or on the PC

• My Little Pony

64Gb? My car stereo will only read the first 4000 tracks, so 64Gb would be pointless for me. What car is she driving?

64Gb? My car stereo will only read the first 4000 tracks, so 64Gb would be pointless for me. What car is she driving?

2013 Toyota Rav4. Reads all 10,500 tracks fine. Although she insisted on pilfering albums from my unsorted folder so the tags are mess on most of them :)

• My Little Pony

2013 Toyota Rav4. Reads all 10,500 tracks fine. Although she insisted on pilfering albums from my unsorted folder so the tags are mess on most of them :)

Women... ;}

My stereo has some annoying features, but the trade off is it's 7.1 surround. 17 speakers! So I can't complain.

Geoff,I work for the local council lifting rubbish from the streets 6 days a week,pretty much half of my hometown on foot by myself everyday,wouldn't say im fit but I can walk and walk all day long and my ipod keeps me focused,sane and not bored :) cant run the length of myself btw

oh and KarpetRydOFunk,are you sure you have enough speakers? 17!!! holy shit my wee Renault scenic would collapse ;)

• My Little Pony

oh and KarpetRydOFunk,are you sure you have enough speakers? 17!!! holy shit my wee Renault scenic would collapse ;)

I couldn't believe it either. I can honestly say I don't even know where they all are.

Big old hi fi at home for CD, vinyl, internet radio...even tapes :yikes: (generally live boots I traded years ago) .

CD player in the car for work...or the same thing will take a memory stick so sometimes I take out an ever exanding compilation on that.

Never listen on a PC, and don't walk about with earplugs and media player thingy....but can see the appeal for people who do a load of work / travelling.

In average I play at least 2 CDs everyday, either in the car or at home, sometimes 3 or 4 but it's rare and usually on weekend

at work I get to listen to MP3s about 1-3 albums during lunch break or after hours, sometimes more

and for those who loves to use headphone, please be warned that you should limit yourself to one hour of usage and take a break before using it again (and don't set too loud) because the effect in the next 10-20 years will be ugly for your hearing if exposed too loud and too long :)