What's your 2014 album, song and debut of the year?

tts42572

Pretty simple...What's your 2014 album of the year, song of the year and debut album of the year?

For me, album of the year is H.e.a.t's Tearing Down The Walls by a landslide. I love everything about this album...probably my favorite album of the past 10-15 years.

Song of the year is tough since there are so many...And I know others probably wouldn't agree...But for me personally it's Shot At Redemption by H.e.a.t. That song really got me excited about their new album and I've probably listened to it more than any other song this year. It's also the song that got my wife into H.e.a.t and convinced her to take a trip to Chicago to see them at MRF4...Which was an awesome night :)

And for debut of the year, my personal favorite is Rock Your World from Sunstrike. It's a good dose of Swedish AOR/Melodic rock that sort of reminds me of H.e.a.t's debut release in it's sound and style. Highlights for me are Right Track, Never Let You go, Rock Your World and Roll The Dice.

Interested to hear what others liked this year....helps highlight some stuff I may have missed or not paid as much attention to as I should've :)

Wow that is pretty close to my list.

White Widdow my pick, H.E.A.T. is number 2

Song not sure yet, too many good ones to narrow it down to one but Shot at Redemption is a real possibility.

Newcomer of the year is Sunstrike for me, a killer debut.

Favorite album is Dynazty - Renatus, second is H.E.A.T

Favorite song is either "Salvation" or "A Divine Comedy" by Dynazty or "Mannequin Show" or "Emergency" by H.E.A.T

Can't really think of any debut's at the moment, guess I haven't had the time to check too many out, but I'm definetly gonna check out Sunstrike, since two people already voted for it.

Havent decided best album yet but my fav debuts were in no order

Night by Night

Seven

Ammunition

Ammunition will be my #1 debut

Album of the year for me so far is CRAZY LIXX (95%) but edge out a very tight competition with WORK OF ART and WHITE WIDDOW (both at 94%), and a big respect for H.E.A.T and SECRET at #4 and #5 respectively with strong score of 92%

Song of the year is still undecided, very hard to pick so maybe I'll leave it blank for now until I sorted my top 5

Debut of the year is probably SECRET - The End of The Road but if they're counted as the old 91 SUITE then I'll hand it to CONFESS - Jail with a solid score of 90%

For me...

My top release id KIX - "Rock Your Face Off" with the new Crazy Lixx a close second.

Top song would be "Mean Miss Adventure" by KIX (Glad they started doing this one at live shows).

Debut is a bit tougher but I'll go with "Origins" by the band WICKED.

Couple of weeks to go so not going to comment but I'd say the second half of the year is better than the first and I need to listen to this White Widdow everybody is raving about quickly.

Got the Harem Scarem on now and this one likely to be in my top 10, at least.

Tough one to make a call at the moment, but in a snapshot of now;

Best album - White Widdow (unrated so far, but will probably just edge out Vega & In Faith)

Best Song - 'Knew Your Name' ; Thief Club (a dodgy one because with the net this song was on the interweb last year, but the EP was released officially this year)

Best New Band - In Faith (awesome new band... hope they stick around for a second album because with a little refining it could be a classic)

I still absolutely hate 'Shot at redemption.' My second least favourite HEAT song from all 4 of their albums.

Best album - White Widdow (unrated so far, but will probably just edge out Vega & In Faith)

Best Song - 'Knew Your Name' ; Thief Club (a dodgy one because with the net this song was on the interweb last year, but the EP was released officially this year)

Best New Band - In Faith (awesome new band... hope they stick around for a second album because with a little refining it could be a classic)

I still absolutely hate 'Shot at redemption.' My second least favourite HEAT song from all 4 of their albums.

What is your least favorite then?

The difference between my number one album and on down to number 10 album are at razor thin margins.. This being said, my number one album, thus far, is "All the Shades of Darkened Light' from Free Spirit. Maybe not the best vocals, production etc.. but the songs are totally infectious and are just too darn good. A very close second is 'Tearing Down The Walls' from H.E.A.T.

Speaking of H.E.A.T., I was really bummed not to be able to get to Chicago this year for MRF4 to see them & Work Of Art specifically. MRF3 was pretty damn awesome! Eclipse stole that show!

Anyway, tough call between In Faith and Sunstrike for newcomer of the year. Both albums were quite solid. Ammunition was really good too but just did not pull me in as much as the aforementioned releases.

Song of the year would probably have to go to Pretty Maids, "My Soul To Take"

The other runners as of this moment...

3 - Brother Firetribe - Diamond in the Firepit

4 - Work Of Art - Framework

5 - Within Temptation - Hydra

6 - Grand Design - Thrill of the Night

7 - Vega - Stereo Messiah

8 - Unruly Child - Down the Rabbit Hole, Side One

9 - Nightingale - Retribution

10 - Sonic Station - Next Step

'High on love' and 'Shot at redemption' are literally the only two songs I dislike in the entire HEAT discography. Hate 'High on love,' only fractionally more than 'Shot at Redemption.' Neither are in the spirit of HEAT at all.

'High on love' and 'Shot at redemption' are literally the only two songs I dislike in the entire HEAT discography. Hate 'High on love,' only fractionally more than 'Shot at Redemption.' Neither are in the spirit of HEAT at all.

High on Love?? What is that??

I actually noticed on the main site it's not even listed on the version of 'Freedom Rock' submitted to this site. So I guess for some regions it was a bonus track, but me, the poor bastard, I got it as track 12 on my version of 'Freedom Rock.'

If you don't have it, just be grateful. It's shit. Even shitter than 'Shot at redemption,' which is saying a lot.

I actually noticed on the main site it's not even listed on the version of 'Freedom Rock' submitted to this site. So I guess for some regions it was a bonus track, but me, the poor bastard, I got it as track 12 on my version of 'Freedom Rock.'

If you don't have it, just be grateful. It's shit. Even shitter than 'Shot at redemption,' which is saying a lot.

Agree it's not two of their finest moments, but not bad tracks imo.

The only two tracks I really dislike by the band are "Downtown" and "Laughing at Tommorow"

Other than that they've only ever put out tunes that are from great to perfection imo.

• My Little Pony

Agree it's not two of their finest moments, but not bad tracks imo.

The only two tracks I really dislike by the band are "Downtown" and "Laughing at Tommorow"

Other than that they've only ever put out tunes that are from great to perfection imo.

I love "Downtown," but can not comment on the other track, as I have not given the new album many spins. To be honest, I completely forgot about it, until I saw it popping up on everyone's lists.

Get this right....I saw HEAT live last night and what were arguably the 3 best songs they played live..........

Shot at Redemption

Downtown

Laughing at tomorrow

All 3 were monster tracks live.....esp Laughing at tomorrow which Erik sang more on his own. Shot gets bad press but its amazing live - such a sing a long......I can fully understand why the band have recorded these tracks.

Best live track was Tearing Down The Walls....best 'ballad' of the year imo.

I couldn't agree more....although, pretty much all their songs sound great live :)

And agree that Tearing Down The Walls is the ballad of the year and is awesome live with Erik strumming the guitar and it being such an easy song for the crowd to join along to. It was a great feeling at MRF4 in Chicago looking over at my wife singing along to that song when I had basically dragged her to the concert and she had virtually no idea who H.e.a.t was. Their energy and music is just infectious :)

The band had said in interviews about the Tearing Down The Walls album that they wanted to write songs that would fit well and enhance their live show...And I think the mission was accomplished.

Get this right....I saw HEAT live last night and what were arguably the 3 best songs they played live..........

Shot at Redemption
Downtown
Laughing at tomorrow

All 3 were monster tracks live.....esp Laughing at tomorrow which Erik sang more on his own. Shot gets bad press but its amazing live - such a sing a long......I can fully understand why the band have recorded these tracks.

Best live track was Tearing Down The Walls....best 'ballad' of the year imo.

All 3 were monster tracks live.....esp Laughing at tomorrow which Erik sang more on his own.

The solo vocals would improve this song ten fold. I was almost going to list it as one of the 3 songs by HEAT I dislike (instead of 2) because I absolutely hate that chanty viking chorus. HATE it. But jeez the verses are good. Sooo good. So it's hard to list it in my least favourite songs, but it possibly would be my 3rd least favourite HEAT song. Did I mention I hate that chorus?

As for 'Shot at redemption,' no argument will ever sway me on that. I just think it's a dreadful song. Their whole discography is full of sing-a-long songs... only difference is most of them are good! ;)

And count me in as a lover of 'Downtown.' Absolutely love that song.

All 3 were monster tracks live.....esp Laughing at tomorrow which Erik sang more on his own.

The solo vocals would improve this song ten fold. I was almost going to list it as one of the 3 songs by HEAT I dislike (instead of 2) because I absolutely hate that chanty viking chorus. HATE it. But jeez the verses are good. Sooo good. So it's hard to list it in my least favourite songs, but it possibly would be my 3rd least favourite HEAT song. Did I mention I hate that chorus?

As for 'Shot at redemption,' no argument will ever sway me on that. I just think it's a dreadful song. Their whole discography is full of sing-a-long songs... only difference is most of them are good! ;)

Laughing at tomorrow has nothing to with a chanty viking chorus....its about the band singing together about a common theme....have you even read the lyrics? Nothing even remotely Nordic about the song. And as you say the verses are pure bliss....possibly the best verses on the album.

I like it. Its not the best song on the album, but I always listen to it...never skip. And as I say it was one of if not the best song live and they finished with it....just a feel good song.

Shot At Redemption has a quirky verse, but the chorus is pretty cool and the solo and post solo bridge absolutely smoke. Pure 100% HEAT imo

I tell you what is an annoying HEAT song....Beg Beg Beg.

• My Little Pony

Now you are just being silly.

Laughing at tomorrow has nothing to with a chanty viking chorus....its about the band singing together about a common theme....have you even read the lyrics? Nothing even remotely Nordic about the song. And as you say the verses are pure bliss....possibly the best verses on the album.

I like it. Its not the best song on the album, but I always listen to it...never skip. And as I say it was one of if not the best song live and they finished with it....just a feel good song.

Shot At Redemption has a quirky verse, but the chorus is pretty cool and the solo and post solo bridge absolutely smoke. Pure 100% HEAT imo

Haha, "Beg Beg Beg" is actually one of my absolute favorites by the band.

I agree that the chorus in "Laughing at Tommorow" is dreadful, sounds to me like soccer fans chanting away during a soccer game, just awful imo, and totally ruins the song for me.

The solo vocals would improve this song ten fold. I was almost going to list it as one of the 3 songs by HEAT I dislike (instead of 2) because I absolutely hate that chanty viking chorus. HATE it. But jeez the verses are good. Sooo good. So it's hard to list it in my least favourite songs, but it possibly would be my 3rd least favourite HEAT song. Did I mention I hate that chorus? As for 'Shot at redemption,' no argument will ever sway me on that. I just think it's a dreadful song. Their whole discography is full of sing-a-long songs... only difference is most of them are good! ;) And count me in as a lover of 'Downtown.' Absolutely love that song.

Now you are just being silly.

No im not. Its the worst song on my version of Freedom Rock.