I've Found Home

Guest Nemesis

Guest Nemesis

Hi everyone,

Late 30s, devillishly handsome guy (you'll just have to take my word for it!) who was in his teens and discovering musci when metal was in its pomp and whose heart is still stuck somewhere between 1989 and 1992. I can't believe I never knew about this site before! Hoepeully I've found some likeminded people and look foward to enjoying and exploring all this site has to offer.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, traditionally bands were heavy and not too melodic or extremely catchy but lightweight (only my fave band Judas Priest merged the two consistently and expertly) yet something magical happened in the late 80s - a plethiora of new bands sprung up that combined pop music hooks with sledgehammer heaviness and big, lush production (see Whitesnake's 1987). Unfortunately, these bands were largely overlooked as the big bands were in their prime: Priest, Twisted Sister, Maiden, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue, AC/DC, Aerosmith, Whitesnake, Van Halen etc) and just when the newer bands started enjoying mainstream exposure and MTV pushing the music as much as pop music, grunge was on the horizon and they got buried under the deluge. Of course, the stupid infighting and elitism within metal bands and their fans helped to end things almost as much as grunge but that's another stoy for another time.

Skid Row made it through but so many didn;t and, combined with being preoccupied by the big bands) I overlooked them. Now, thanks to the internet (especially You Tube) I'm making up for lost ground and discovering some killer acts. And what's best is not only is the music top notch, but it has that early 90s huge production and killer hooks and killer guitar that I like so much. It's weird - it's totally new music (to me) and is so refreshing from listening to the same albums for the past 20+ years yet at the same time it's eerily dated yet oh-so perfect at the same time. It's also fresh because I grew up on no-nonsense metal and all these bands were very image conscious and photogenic. Americans call them hair/glam metal (phrases I never understood the point of) but make no mistake they rocked just as heavy as anyone.

While I'm here, I'll share these gems I've just discovered:

Stranded - The Night Can Last Forever

Sven Gali - Under the Influence

Saints & Sinners - Wheels of Fire

Rough Cutt - Piece of my Heart

Tyketto - Forever Young

Wildside - How Many lies

All I Know - Asphyxia

Lionsheart - Can't Believe

\m/ Welcome \m/

• My Little Pony

Sorry, but there are no like-minded folk here. You're welcome to the asylum, all the same. Being 26, I know what it's like to feel this is all 'new' music. Here are some big ones you may have yet to check out:

Giant - Last of the Runaways

Harem Scarem - Mood Swings

Von Groove - Von Groove

Wall of Silence - Shock to the System

And many more...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Welcome and keep on rockin' !

• 2 months later...