Åge Sten Nilsen's Ammunition - Shanghaied

Stefan

• My Little Pony

We have 3 months left to the year and we have some good stuff coming, This,Crazy Lixx, AdrianGale to name a few!

AC/DC newie also in december :)

Yeah...

Are people excited for that, though?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

I've been listening to this quite a bit, lately. But I was expecting you to have the new single. All I've been able to find is a short clip.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this - cant find the cd listed anywhere except Japan?

Of course!!!

Okay, let's lay down the facts here. I've lived with this for a few days now and feel like I have a pretty good relationship with it. Basically, to me it sounds kind of like the Wig Wam albums after 'Wig Wamania' where they were still pretty good, but were clearly on the decline. There is one big plus for this, and one minus.

On the plus side, this album is probably produced better than any Wig Wam disc. On the minus side, the lyrics have none of that Wig Wam tongue in cheek kind of vibe that worked really well for them. Kind of made them stand out a bit more from the pack. It's all pretty straight forward and serious here, lyrically.

Anyway, to the songs. The album takes a while to get going. The first 4 songs are all pretty good, with the title track being my fave, but the ballad, 'Road to babylon' is a real buzzkill, a lot like the dead-in-the-water ballads Wig Wam were throwing up after 'Wig Wamania.' And to kill the midsection entirely, 'Take out the enemy' is the filler of all fillers. Thankfully, 'Hit me with your bombs' saves the day a little, in nice anthemic fashion. And then the album offers up the great 'Wild card,' wedged right between two more fillers. 'Heart's not in it' is a pretty cool (wait for it...!) Tangier style ballad, and then the album finishes as good as it can. 'Strung out' is one of the best, catchiest songs on the album, but doods, the Yapanese have done it again. Not since Pretty Maids' 'Spooked' have I seen the best track of the album so obviously offered up as a Jap bonus track. In my mind it's not even a question whether or not 'Access Denied' is the best song on the album. It just is, by a long way. And it's a Jap bonus track! Very cruel for anyone who doesn't get a Jap version of this (if there is one?).

But yeah, that's basically it. A really mixed album basically trading good tunes with fillers from start to end, and ending with a bonus track which is the best song on the album. Crazy stuff, but there's some pretty good stuff on here. I guess I'm disappointed as I thought this might be in the mix this year, but it won't even get close.

So what happened to this song? I see it didn't make the album, and sadly so, as it would have been one of the better songs. What's the story here?

Geoff might not like it but I love it. 2 fillers imo in the lead track and that hallelujah thing but the rest is pure gold.

Esp the second half which is one killer after another.

Apparently the euro release has been pushed back to Jan 15. It is released in Norway only soon.

Basically its a cross of Wig Wam, Eclipse and Gotthard with a classic rock vibe.

• My Little Pony

Geoff might not like it but I love it. 2 fillers imo in the lead track and that hallelujah thing but the rest is pure gold.

Esp the second half which is one killer after another.

Apparently the euro release has been pushed back to Jan 15. It is released in Norway only soon.

Basically its a cross of Wig Wam, Eclipse and Gotthard with a classic rock vibe.

It's on my Christmas list. If nobody gets it for me, I'll track down a Japanese copy.

Aorheaven is releasing it in early January. The Japanese bonus track (no idea if this will be on the euro version or not) is pretty good.

• 1 month later...

'Access Denied' is by far the best song on this CD. ;)

Just looking over the last drafts of my 2014 list; this one amazingly (even to me) ranked crazy low. Fillers kill it...

Crazy talk.

Geoff is known to be crazy. Fillers on Shanghaied? Blasphemy!

Well there is one...that hallelujah thing, but thats about it. I even love silveback now - such a great riff.

Crazy talk.

Geoff is known to be crazy. Fillers on Shanghaied? Blasphemy!

Well there is one...that hallelujah thing, but thats about it. I even love silveback now - such a great riff.

Oh, yeah.... that Hallelujah shit is crap but the rest is great!