Awesome albums from bands you really don't like

I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but so what!

I just had to share a few releases I love and have kept in my collection since the day I got them. The catch is that I really don't like any other of their releases.

The Black Crowes - By Your Side

Hinder - Take It To The Limit

Mindfunk - Dropped

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Therapy? - Troublegum

Rubber (aka Harem Scarem) - Weight Of The World (I have the Canadian Rubber version, hated the first two Rubber cd's, this one was a great return to the sound of classic HS...pretty sure that's why it was released as an HS cd in the rest of the world.)

Cheap Trick - 'Busted'

Cher - 'Heart Of Stone'

Accept - 'Eat the Heat' (not awesome, but good)

Armoured Saint - 'Symbol of Salvation'

Hmm, tough question. These spring to mind:

Nightwish - Oceanborn

Firehouse - Hold Your Fire (and probably the debut)

Doves - Lost Souls

Danger Danger - debut

The next few aren't bands I dislike, but I'm not a big fan of them, so maybe they fit in here:

Thunder - Backstreet Symphony (don't hate the band, but it's not a sound I'm hugely keen on and nothing else comes close to the debut for me)

Slayer - Seasons In The Abyss (not hugely keen on any of their other albums)

Lillian Axe - Love & War

(BTW, 'Dropped' is the only Mindfunk album I don't like.) :D

Honeymoon Suite - The Big Prize

AC/DC - Back In Black (some of the others are OK but this is miles better IMO)

Slayer - Seasons (good shout James!)

Loverboy - Just Gettin Started (much prefer this to their other albums which I don't even own)

I'll think of some more later

Fearless Undead Machines by Deceased.

My brother's been a huge fan of this band since their unsigned/demo days and the bulk of their material is a little too death metal for me, but this album absolutely freakin' kills. It's a concept album about a zombie invasion and musically it sounds like the love child of Venom and Somewhere in Time era Maiden. I know that sounds like a bizarre combo but it totally works.

Cheap Trick - 'Busted'

Weird... "Busted" is one of my least favorite Cheap trick releases.

I dig the "Fearless Undead Machines" (just listened to the 2 CD version over the weekend). Some of the other DECEASED releases are a bit hit or miss. I don't mind the "Worship The Coffin" release. I'm actually going to see DECEASED in a couple months.

I dig the "Fearless Undead Machines" (just listened to the 2 CD version over the weekend). Some of the other DECEASED releases are a bit hit or miss. I don't mind the "Worship The Coffin" release. I'm actually going to see DECEASED in a couple months.

Yeah, I've heard some bits 'n' pieces of their post-Fearless stuff that sounded pretty good, but nothin' ever grabbed me enough to buy a whole 'nother record. I suppose if they ever released some kind of best-of compilation I'd probably pick it up.

Loverboy - Just Gettin Started (much prefer this to their other albums which I don't even own)

Another vote for each of those. I'll add:

Bulletboys - Bulletboys

Cinderella - Long Cold Winter

Deep Purple - Slaves and Masters

Dirty Looks - Five Easy Pieces

Jackyl - Jackyl

Little Caesar - Little Caesar

Queensryche - Empire

Slaughter - Stick it to Ya

• My Little Pony

Bulletboys - Bulletboys

Jackyl - Jackyl

Queensryche - Empire

I'm sorry, we're gonna have to ask you to leave.

Darkthrone - Soulside Journey

(not awesome, but pretty good and a billion times better than any of the dull BM that followed)

Bulletboys - Bulletboys

Jackyl - Jackyl

Queensryche - Empire

:lol:

To be fair, it's only Queensryche that I found truly shocking in that list. I can kind of sympathise with the Cinderella reference, as although I like the band, I do think 'Long Cold Winter' is massively better than anything else they've released. But there are plenty of decent songs spread across their other albums.

Bulletboys - Bulletboys

Jackyl - Jackyl

Queensryche - Empire

To be fair, it's only Queensryche that I found truly shocking in that list. I can kind of sympathise with the Cinderella reference, as although I like the band, I do think 'Long Cold Winter' is massively better than anything else they've released. But there are plenty of decent songs spread across their other albums.

Well I actually totally, 100% and completely agree about Queensryche. Can't believe I didn't say that myself. But yeah, totally with Grey on that one. The rest... maybe not. ;)

Also:

Anathema - The Silent Enigma

Warrant - Dog Eat Dog (not awesome, but pretty good so almost qualifies for me)

Motley Crue - Dr Feelgood. as for the other MC stuff, not a big fan. I like the song here and there, Decade Of Decadence is the way for me to go with the band other than Feelgood. sorry, but other than the hits they don't do much for me.

same boat here dude,love feelgood and the tune primal scream from decadence is up there for me also.

Bulletboys - Bulletboys

Jackyl - Jackyl

Queensryche - Empire

I guess that's pretty much what I was saying. Without the albums I mentioned, I'd consider any of those bands average at best. Aside from one or two tracks here and there, they never did anything else that measured up to what I listed.

As for Queensryche, I was never a fan of their style. It's only because the "Empire" CD got so much airplay, the songs eventually grew on me.

As for Queensryche, I was never a fan of their style. It's only because the "Empire" CD got so much airplay, the songs eventually grew on me.

I get this with early Queensryche, as albums like 'The Warning' and 'Rage For Order' seem to be highly rated, but do very little for me. However, I do think 'Operation: Mindcrime' is pretty awesome. 3 or 4 songs I really love on that one, including 'Eyes of a Stranger', which I'd kind of assumed any metal fan would be really into!

I get this with early Queensryche, as albums like 'The Warning' and 'Rage For Order' seem to be highly rated, but do very little for me. However, I do think 'Operation: Mindcrime' is pretty awesome. 3 or 4 songs I really love on that one, including 'Eyes of a Stranger', which I'd kind of assumed any metal fan would be really into!

Rage For Order and Mindcrime do it for me ... there are a couple of cracking songs on The Warning, one on their debut EP ... and two on Empire ... after that ... *rolls eyes* ...Sorry, back on thread ... Stick It To Ya by SlaughterAppetite For Destruction (I wouldn't cross the road to buy anything by Guns these days)

• 2 weeks later...

Rage For Order and Mindcrime do it for me ... there are a couple of cracking songs on The Warning, one on their debut EP ... and two on Empire ... after that ... *rolls eyes* ...Sorry, back on thread ... Stick It To Ya by SlaughterAppetite For Destruction (I wouldn't cross the road to buy anything by Guns these days)

Agree 100% with that; 'Appetite' is great, but I have no interest in anything else by them.

In terms of Queensryche, I like these songs:

The Lady Wore Black

Empire

Jet City Woman

most of Operation: Mindcrime

And that's it.

• 1 month later...