How did 80's bands rate for you in 2012?

Geoff

This was just a thought I had the other day. Most of us, as sad as it is to admit it, will probably have a list of favourite albums from the year without an 80's artist in sight... well, maybe remnants of 80's bands (eg. Jimi Jamison on JSS), but what about the old bands (and a couple of solo artists) still battling on?

How did the bands that were around in the 80's (and a couple of really early 90's) got for you in 2012? Have a go and see. Just disregard all the good... uh, whoops, I, uh mean, new bands, and see how well the old fellas are going.

My uninterrupted list:

1 . Hardline - Danger Zone - 81

2 . Richard Marx - Inside My Head - 79

3 . Romeo's Daughter - Rapture - 78

4 . Trixter - New Audio Machine - 76

5 . Loverboy - Rock N' Roll Revival - 75

6 . Rick Springfield - Songs For The End Of The World - 73

7 . Nasty Idols - Kalifornia - 73

8 . LA Guns - Hollywood Forever - 72

9 . Mad Max - Another Night Of Passion - 71

10 . Michael Thompson Band - Future Past - 71

11 . Phenomena - Awakening - 71

12 . Mark Spiro - It's a beautiful life - 69

13 . Gotthard - Firebirth - 68

14 . KISS - Monster - 68

15 . Gun - Break The Silence - 68

16 . Axel Rudy Pell - Circle Of The Oath - 68

17 . Magnum - On The Thirteenth Day - 66

18 . Great White - Elation - 63

19 . Aerosmith - Music From Another Dimension - 62

20 . Lita Ford - Living Like A Runaway - 61

21 . Tyketto - Dig In Deep - 60

22 . Paul Sabu - Bangkok Rules - 59

23 . Bangalor Choir - Metaphor - 57

24 . Dokken - Broken Bones - 55

25 . Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth - 40

26 . Europe - Bag Of Bones - 31

My list with commentary:

1 . Hardline - Danger Zone - 81 ; really nice disc and the best since 'Double eclipse,' imo. A dip in the middle, but some great tracks.

2 . Richard Marx - Inside My Head - 79 ; one of a few "cheat" albums in this list which actually includes a lot of his best recent material all crammed onto one nice disc with some great new songs. I gotta say, he's still going well - in fact, I like this stuff a lot better than his 80's / early 90's stuff.

3 . Romeo's Daughter - Rapture - 78 ; very, very nice return and arguably every bit as good as their first two albums.

4 . Trixter - New Audio Machine - 76 ; a handful of excellent tracks push this rating up pretty high, as there's a few too many fillers here for me. But a good effort from a great band I always hoped I'd hear again.

5 . Loverboy - Rock N' Roll Revival - 75 ; the second "cheat" album, I probably shouldn't have added it as it's mostly re-recordings, but it's a good effort and two of the new songs are super.

6 . Rick Springfield - Songs For The End Of The World - 73 ; If he chopped the album in half it probably would have rated a lot higher. Some truly great songs on here, but a few that miss the mark for me also. I still love hearing output from him, though.

7 . Nasty Idols - Kalifornia - 73 ; surprisingly a really good disc. Their best in quite a while, imo. Didn't see much talk about this, so if you missed it, be sure to check it out. Really good, sleazy hard rock.

8 . LA Guns - Hollywood Forever - 72 ; I like this album better than the score or rank suggest. Not their best by any means, but a good solid hard rock disc and I enjoy it plenty.

9 . Mad Max - Another Night Of Passion - 71 ; even as I type this I kind of forget how this was. I think it had a few good tunes but is a little unmemorable and very similar to recent efforts.

10 . Michael Thompson Band - Future Past - 71 ; a good AOR disc and for me it's probably a little more enjoyable than the debut. Not perfect at all, but nice.

11 . Phenomena - Awakening - 71 ; a bit disappointing for me after recent albums from this project. Just way too basic to really stick at all.

12 . Mark Spiro - It's a beautiful life - 69 ; the dude's always pretty soft, but this album's a little too lite for my tastes. The song writing is nice enough but it's just not the album you ever reach for or want to play, ever again.

13 . Gotthard - Firebirth - 68 ; solid album. Not bad at all, but really, really, really missing any killer tracks. Solid, but hopefully they work on writing memorable songs again for the next one.

14 . KISS - Monster - 68 ; I will say that 'Take me down below' is the best song from KISS since the 'Revenge' album, and one of the best from any artist on this list. I like this fair enough, but similar story to others. Just pretty average but solid songs for the most part, with nothing ever sticking out, except as noted. Solid, but not much more.

15 . Gun - Break The Silence - 68 ; some great songs here, but a few real clunkers too. They miss the original vocalist and there's just not a great vibe on this CD, but there are some nice tunes and it's a bit better than the rating suggests.

16 . Axel Rudy Pell - Circle Of The Oath - 68 ; carbon copy of everything he's released in the past 20 years - good solid stuff.

17 . Magnum - On The Thirteenth Day - 66 ; as with KISS, 'So let it rain' is the best song I've heard from these guys since the 80's - love that chorus. And the rest of this is not terrible, and so much better than the last CD. But it's still pretty average for the most part.

18 . Great White - Elation - 63 ; should not have kept the name when Russell departed. It's just not GW, and to add insult to injury the songs are mostly poor. A real shame.

19 . Aerosmith - Music From Another Dimension - 62 ; I want to strongly note that I enjoy this for the most part. Rating albums as a whole, though, the 2 Joe Perry tracks took this down about 20 pegs - disgraceful. But there's some pretty cool stuff on this and it mostly rated around the 70% mark aside from the indiscretions.

20 . Lita Ford - Living Like A Runaway - 61 ; sounded good on first spin but really struggled on repeated listens. I don't like the lyrics at all and there is a bad vibe on this CD too. Again, 100% better than her last CD, but there's just something I didn't like about this, despite it not being too bad at all.

21 . Tyketto - Dig In Deep - 60 ; amazed this got as high as 60% for me as I actually hate this.

22 . Paul Sabu - Bangkok Rules - 59 ; loud, abrupt, ugly, irritating. There idea is okay in a few places but the vocals are terrible and it's just too annoying overall to rate high.

23 . Bangalor Choir - Metaphor - 57 ; after a pretty solid last disc, this one really failed for me. One or two really bad songs and everything else was really average. 'Always be my angel' was the best, but it couldn't save it at the end there.

24 . Dokken - Broken Bones - 55 ; again, this actually sounded okay on first few listens, but after a while I grew to basically hate this. Aside from the opener, every single tune is just slow, shitty, hookless and boring. It's basically the same dreary song for the entire album. Such a major disappointment.

25 . Van Halen - A Different Kind Of Truth - 40 ; honestly some of the worst songs I have heard in 2012, and several of them. There are about 3 decent songs, but for the most part this is a truly dreadful hard rock CD with songs they don't even sound like they care about.

26 . Europe - Bag Of Bones - 31 ; the worst of the worst. The worst of this list, and the worst album I have rated in all of 2012. Barely a hook to speak of, unbearable music tracks and just the worst, most dreary and hard to listen to hard rock a band could record. No grasp at all of what 99% of their fan base want to hear.

Although I can see you have a lot of harsh reviews towards many bands but I tend to agree to your point that sadly many 80s bands that we love just can't make something decent compared to the young bands that ironically are playing those 80s style.

Lookin toward my own list, I can see several old bands that still have some respectable scores :

JIMI JAMISON - Never Too Late - 90%

NIGHT RANGER - 24 Strings - 85% (although this can't be counted as new albums because it's old stuffs)

JEFF SCOTT SOTO - Damage Control - 85%

ACCEPT - Stalingrad - 85%

ADLER'S APPETITE - Alive EP - 85%

HARDLINE - Danger Zone - 80%

SLASH - Apocalyptic Love - 80%

GUN - Break The Silence - 80%

PRIMAL FEAR - Unbreakable - 80%

ROMEO'S DAUGHTER - Rapture - 80%

ASIA - XXX - 80%

and the rest are 75% and below so I don't think it really matters

I don't get the point of rating the new Van Halen. You hate them, always have, always will. So why rate the album? I knew even before you heard it, you'd hate it.....why even bother listening to it, knowing you wouldn't like it. I understand being critical of an album that doesn't live up to expectations sorta like Tyketto, Europe or Wig Wam, but to thrash an album that never had a chance in your eyes is pointless. You mentioned in your Europe review that 99% their fan base won't like it. I doubt that true of the Van Halen fan base.

As a true Van Halen fan, I think it is a great release and lives up to the classic Van Halen sound. Their is no way you can rate high any Van Halen with Dave Lee Roth if you don't think highly of the new one. It's sorta like me rating a new AC/DC or Aerosmith, I know I won't like them, but I won't rip them, because I've never really liked them in the first place.

I don't get the point of rating the new Van Halen. You hate them, always have, always will. So why rate the album? I knew even before you heard it, you'd hate it.....why even bother listening to it, knowing you wouldn't like it. I understand being critical of an album that doesn't live up to expectations sorta like Tyketto, Europe or Wig Wam, but to thrash an album that never had a chance in your eyes is pointless. You mentioned in your Europe review that 99% their fan base won't like it. I doubt that true of the Van Halen fan base.

As a true Van Halen fan, I think it is a great release and lives up to the classic Van Halen sound. Their is no way you can rate high any Van Halen with Dave Lee Roth if you don't think highly of the new one. It's sorta like me rating a new AC/DC or Aerosmith, I know I won't like them, but I won't rip them, because I've never really liked them in the first place.

You make a very good point - I bet old school Van Halen fans love the new album. I guess that why Andrew rated it 100%

Me I'm a partial fan & whilst I didn't love it - I think I rated it around 70% - I could appreciate why some would like it.

Oh & musically it was pretty great.

• My Little Pony

Yep. It's why I haven't even bothered with it. But when has Geoff ever made any sense? ;}

But when has Geoff ever made any sense?

Expecting Geoff to make sense is like expecting a gun-ban advocate to join the NRA. That said, Geoff makes perfect sense when it comes to Van Halen...

Doods, I am first and foremost a fan of rock music. I own a lot of Van Halen CDs and on most of them there are at least 1-3 good to even excellent songs (and yes, the rest generally do suck, imo). But I don't hate every single song they've ever recorded. I just think they are the most over-rated band in our genre. No contest. But if I see an album score 100%, or half the rock community on the web is raving about it, I don't care who it is. Artists I've hated before have recorded albums I love (for example, Cher and Cheap Trick) and I will give anything and everything a go if there's a chance I'll like it.

Why am I only allowed to rate an album if I'll rate it high? I just heard a hard rock CD and honestly did not rate it any different at all based on the fact it is Van Halen. All my ratings are always genuinely how I feel about the songs I'm rating - nothing else in the world taints that process.

Dave, to be honest I am as stunned by a 90+ rating for this album as you are by my 40%. Neither is right or wrong (except mine ;) ) but they're just two opinions on a CD. I think the high scores are utterly ridiculous based solely on the music on the CD, and you think my low score is utterly ridiculous. Fair enough, to each their own.

Of Geoffs Main list, a few of those will make my top 20 (and a few not listed too) and in general some of the older bands released some excellent albums to the keep the young whipper snappers a run for their money. List coming soon.

Of Geoffs Main list, a few of those will make my top 20 (and a few not listed too) and in general some of the older bands released some excellent albums to the keep the young whipper snappers a run for their money. List coming soon.

I agree

• 9 years later...
On 1/7/2013 at 3:52 PM, Jez said:

Been waiting 10 years for the list! LOL @Jez

• Haha 2

Mine for 2022 :

Dan Reed Network - defo top of the pile for me. Great return to form

Treat - no 2. Continuation of their more modern style. Very nice 

Ronnie Atkins - No 3. Nice but a way behind his first solo

Skid Row - No 4. Erik breathes new life . Solid

Def Leppard - No 5 . Decent 

Everything falls down for me :

FM , HOL, Dare, Scorpions, Giant, Magnum, Journey & Marillion - never feel the need to hear these again, ever. 

10 hours ago, Glen said:

Mine for 2022 :

Dan Reed Network - defo top of the pile for me. Great return to form

Treat - no 2. Continuation of their more modern style. Very nice 

Ronnie Atkins - No 3. Nice but a way behind his first solo

Skid Row - No 4. Erik breathes new life . Solid

Def Leppard - No 5 . Decent 

Everything falls down for me :

FM , HOL, Dare, Scorpions, Giant, Magnum, Journey & Marillion - never feel the need to hear these again, ever. 

As long as my memory wheels keep pedalling I’ll do one too, but a little mindblown to see Giant in with the crud and Def Leppard above the line. To each their own, but I can’t personally see any one way in which the Def Leppard album is better than the Giant one. 

To put Scorpions in with the crud is really weird. To me Rock Believer sounds exactly like what a Scorpions record should sound like. Yeah it isn't anything new, but give the blokes a break, they are in their 70s and aren't gonna push the boundaries!

• Like 2

Never been a fan of Scorpions, and Giant, whilst decent is just more Frontiers genericness to me 🤷

In fairness, DF could easily drop in with the duds, cos I'll prob not listen to it again ;)

Edited by Glen

Yeah, I can't say Scorpions, even at their best, have ever done much for me, but I was pleasantly surprised by Giant. Not going to argue that it's not generic, or even that it's a great album. But I do think it's pretty good stuff. Pretty much on par with Kenti Hill's other projects, which are all pretty good. 

I don't hate the Def Leppard album, but there's a lot of inferior stuff to wade through to get to the very small handful of decent tunes. 

25 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Not going to argue that it's not generic, or even that it's a great album. But I do think it's pretty good stuff. Pretty much on par with Kenti Hill's other projects, which are all pretty good. 

this is the point. 

All pretty good.

never to be listened to ever again ;)

19 minutes ago, Glen said:

this is the point. 

All pretty good.

never to be listened to ever again ;)

Not even Perfect Plan?

I dunno, technically I'm actually the same as you, regarding full albums, but are you still an all or nothing album person, in this age? I'd never listen to any of the full albums we've mentioned in this thread from 2022 again, but there's killer cuts on all of Kenti Hill's projects that will 100% be on my yearly playlist to be played well into the future. 

31 minutes ago, Geoff said:

Not even Perfect Plan?

I dunno, technically I'm actually the same as you, regarding full albums, but are you still an all or nothing album person, in this age? I'd never listen to any of the full albums we've mentioned in this thread from 2022 again, but there's killer cuts on all of Kenti Hill's projects that will 100% be on my yearly playlist to be played well into the future. 

I don't tend to have year lists, more band playlists.

But if I want to listen to Giant, I'll play the first 2 ;)

Edited by Glen

22 minutes ago, Glen said:

I don't tend to have year lists, more band playlists.

But if I want to listen to Giant, I'll play the first 2 ;)

The new Giant songs would fit nicely into a Kenti Hill playlist, though. ;)

Which, jokes aside, if that's what I did that's what I'd do. Giant would only be Giant with Huff and my Kenti Hill playlist could include Perfect Plan and new Giant. But I quite like yearly playlists, personally. 

I find it downright sad reading how the streaming disciples listen to music. I knew this was the case, but I really feel sorry for what you have lost. Listening to playlists is such a shitty way to devolve from that 20 year old who would listen to an album over and over again. And what is even sadder is how superior you all feel and talk about how you "no longer do the album thing cause streaming is just so superior blah blah blah". Sad.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, auslander said:

I find it downright sad reading how the streaming disciples listen to music. I knew this was the case, but I really feel sorry for what you have lost. Listening to playlists is such a shitty way to devolve from that 20 year old who would listen to an album over and over again. And what is even sadder is how superior you all feel and talk about how you "no longer do the album thing cause streaming is just so superior blah blah blah". Sad.

Haha, agree with most of what you say, apart from 100% disagreeing with the "superior" part. 

I'll be completely straight with you and say I don't like what it's become. But I can say that about several things in life (some much more important than music). I miss the hell out of those days of CD hunting, exchanging CDs via mail all over the world, discmans and pumping albums through the stereo in my bedroom... oh, and a car CD player that actually worked! But sadly, those days are long, long gone. And with them, so is the way I listened to and was able to buy music back then. 

What I do now is all I can squeeze into my life, for better or worse, and it's what "works." I don't have the time to repeatedly listen to songs I don't love anymore because I don't just have that time available. So if I'm listening to music, I want it to be music I love (bar the initial stages where I decide what this is). 

It's sadly no longer practical, or even possible, for me to listen to CDs like I used to do. It just wouldn't work with the life I lead. And if I don't need to drag CDs around, then there's no sense dragging around digital files that I don't love either. It just makes sense to only keep the songs I love to listen to when I get the chance to listen to them. 

Anyway, I've never ever even remotely hinted that I think this is a superior way to listen to music and I question where that may have come across. It simply is what it is, for better or worse. In some ways it is better because I only listen to (repeatedly) the music I love... but yeah, I miss the old days too, when stuff was just easier. 

2 hours ago, auslander said:

I mainly (I would say 90% of the time) still listen to albums. 

However I do occasionally like to binge on a band and having a playlist is fun. I generally only have the songs I really love from the band.

The length of the playlist therefore depends on how good the band is ;)

HS prob about 70 songs, Van Halen about 15 🤣🤣

I don't have a cd player at home so stream in the house or on the go, but cds still in the car. 

Not sure where the superior thing came from?? 

• My Little Pony
4 hours ago, Glen said:

I mainly (I would say 90% of the time) still listen to albums. 

However I do occasionally like to binge on a band and having a playlist is fun. I generally only have the songs I really love from the band.

The length of the playlist therefore depends on how good the band is ;)

HS prob about 70 songs, Van Halen about 15 🤣🤣

I don't have a cd player at home so stream in the house or on the go, but cds still in the car. 

Not sure where the superior thing came from?? 

I think he just recognises that you are superior to him. 

;}

• Haha 2