Van Halen review

66 mustang

Always love to get shit for loving an album. Never gets old :)

I am a SAMMY fan through and through, but still, I love this CD and just got thru playing it again. Some great energy.

2011 had Journey's Eclipse. 2012 is Van Halen's turn. Controversy abound!!!

Ha ha, I guess that was aimed at me.

I agree with Tim (even though he basically called me an idiot lol !), in that your reviews are the most informative on the net and are my benchmark for whether or not to invest in an album.

But I cant agree with a rating of 98% for this album.....that implies that every song is almost flawless, and clearly that is not the case.

After repeated spins, Id say it was about a 75% album for me, but hey to each their own.

Keep up the good work on the site, cheers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to agree good sir! :)

I still have no idea why you let people add their own reviews - having read the reviews on this disc on the site most people seem to be melodramatic clowns more interested in having a pop at the review than arguing an opinion. Stuff like: "Andrew I don't think I'll ever trust your reviews again", or comments about bias towards bands like VH and Harem Scarem. People disagree, deal with it. Reviews are supposed to inform/educate/shape peoples buying habits. Who gives a toss whether people trust the reviews, when you run a site you can post what the fuck you like. And if you have a bias towards bands like Harem Scarem, so what? Everyone has favourite bands that they probably have some bias towards, even if they do release a weak album.

Back on topic... Aside from "Tattoo", which I still think is very weak, and the quality of the vocals (they sound very rough in parts), I'm liking the sound of this. I definitely would've preferred a more commercial disc but after a couple of spins it really starts to sink-in...

It's a great Van Halen album and much better than I expected it to be by a mile. One or two tracks that don't quite hit the mark as of yet, but it definitely gets better and better with subsequent spins. Some of this is prime time VH at their(heavy) best. The groove, the playing and the whole general sound and feel of the record is classic VH down to a tee. Michael Anthony is missed a little, especially his brilliant backing vox and to a certain degree his bass playing groove, but Wolfie (if it is him) does a very good job with the bass duties and the whole rhythm section thunders along superbly. Lee Roth is his usual self, not the best ever vocalist by far of course, but that was never the case with him, it's the whole package or nothing. He didn't become one of Hard Rock's best frontmen/ showmen for nothing. Some of the soloing on here is phenomenal aswell, showing EVH hasn't lost a trick over the years. If you weren't a VH fan before (some sort of non rocking, weirdo type freak I suppose you could say), this won't change your mind, but in the end who cares, leave this one to all the rest of the VH fans, (of which there are many) to rock out to - one of the heaviest VH albums avaliable. A sterling 86% from me. :headbanger:

Nicely put.

And i'll third that as well.

I still have no idea why you let people add their own reviews - having read the reviews on this disc on the site most people seem to be melodramatic clowns more interested in having a pop at the review than arguing an opinion. Stuff like: "Andrew I don't think I'll ever trust your reviews again", or comments about bias towards bands like VH and Harem Scarem. People disagree, deal with it.

Yeah, that got up my nose badly for a long time...i think some people just look for any hook to hang their opinion on - to make it look like mine couldn't be right. But these days I'm more accepting of the barbs... My favourite is always the "I've always agreed with you, BUT....now I disagree...blah blah"... as if one review now changes their opinion entirely.

I mean if I review 200 albums a year for 15 years.....there's going to be a few disagreements!!!!

the most interesting part of the 'Add Your Own Review' part is that everybody seems to give an extravagant score, be it over 90% or below 40% lol so where's the reasonable review of 70%-75% ? probably only 4 guys out of what, 50-60 people ? :D

Still playing this each day and some of the weaker tracks are growing on me.Could not get Tattoo out of my head today and that's one of the weaker tracks.A totally enjoyable album that has surprised me as to how good it is and i love the rawness that it has like Fair Warning.I have always enjoyed Van Halen more when they just add some grunt and rock out.

the most interesting part of the 'Add Your Own Review' part is that everybody seems to give an extravagant score, be it over 90% or below 40% lol so where's the reasonable review of 70%-75% ? probably only 4 guys out of what, 50-60 people ? :D

There's your reasonable score there, mate. ;)

Sorry, I know it gets dis-interesting quick, the drama around CDs like this. Having a go at no one in particular, and certainly not Andrew who provides a great site for the MR community, but I just wish that people who rate albums like this so highly would consistently rate an album like this so highly. People seem to be snapping backs in order to compensate for this and I just know in my heart that if this wasn't carrying the Van Halen logo it'd be such a different story.

Good luck to everyone, but the thing I like most in a reviewer is consistency, brutal honesty, bluntness and not being afraid to say it like it is, regardless of how much you may not want to say it. :)

Sorry, I know it gets dis-interesting quick, the drama around CDs like this. Having a go at no one in particular, and certainly not Andrew who provides a great site for the MR community, but I just wish that people who rate albums like this so highly would consistently rate an album like this so highly. People seem to be snapping backs in order to compensate for this and I just know in my heart that if this wasn't carrying the Van Halen logo it'd be such a different story.

Good luck to everyone, but the thing I like most in a reviewer is consistency, brutal honesty, bluntness and not being afraid to say it like it is, regardless of how much you may not want to say it. :)

You see to me below 40% is a completely unreasonable score and is the score of a person who has / and always will dislike Van Halen.

It is well known that you like hooky melodic rock and Van Halen aint that beast, so you scoring this album at 40% is like me scoring the next death metal album at 40%....pretty meaningless.

I mean you gave 'Outta Space' what 1/10?? That song flat outs rocks and is one of the best tunes on the album! The fact is has no hook is irrelevant - just turn it up and rock out.

Peace out.........

Don't forget that music is an art and art can't be measured mathematically in any way like exact science. I mean, if in math, 1 + 1 = 2, then any other answer is surely wrong, but if you think this disc is below 40%, that doesn't mean 40% is the right answer, a lot of people might also gave the same rating as yours, but it can be 85% to other people and it's still a right answer. That's how it works, mate, and that is still an honest answer.

But my point is, from Andrew's site, looks like there are too many extravagant scores, meaning he opens up the port to hardcore fans as well as extreme haters, which is not really healthy in my opinion, because like in Blabbermouth, there are way too many haters and trolls around. Now in this case, I know Van Halen is never your favourite band at all, just like Mr.Big or classic rock or power metal, you always think they have too many fillers or trash, but what's trash to one's ear can be a treasure to others, again it's a very subjective matter.

I love Mr.Big, for example, i rate the first three albums really high, I know many will agree with me, but I concur with the fact that many people won't, but the fact that they sold very well and accepted in many parts of Asia especially Japan, that's also an undeniable fact that maybe lots of people really like them, and so did Van Halen.

There are people who really dug heavy music, flashy solos, naughty beat, classic rock influenced type of album, that probably will be found in here, but some also hates commercial/light/ultra-melodic/poppish/glammy type of album, like AOR, that most of us here love, so perhaps I can also find many people rating Steel Panther a lousy 30% or Work of Art with 20%, and I don't think that really matters, because of a different taste.

Don't forget that music is an art and art can't be measured mathematically in any way like exact science. I mean, if in math, 1 + 1 = 2, then any other answer is surely wrong, but if you think this disc is below 40%, that doesn't mean 40% is the right answer, a lot of people might also gave the same rating as yours, but it can be 85% to other people and it's still a right answer. That's how it works, mate, and that is still an honest answer.

But my point is, from Andrew's site, looks like there are too many extravagant scores, meaning he opens up the port to hardcore fans as well as extreme haters, which is not really healthy in my opinion, because like in Blabbermouth, there are way too many haters and trolls around. Now in this case, I know Van Halen is never your favourite band at all, just like Mr.Big or classic rock or power metal, you always think they have too many fillers or trash, but what's trash to one's ear can be a treasure to others, again it's a very subjective matter.

I love Mr.Big, for example, i rate the first three albums really high, I know many will agree with me, but I concur with the fact that many people won't, but the fact that they sold very well and accepted in many parts of Asia especially Japan, that's also an undeniable fact that maybe lots of people really like them, and so did Van Halen.

There are people who really dug heavy music, flashy solos, naughty beat, classic rock influenced type of album, that probably will be found in here, but some also hates commercial/light/ultra-melodic/poppish/glammy type of album, like AOR, that most of us here love, so perhaps I can also find many people rating Steel Panther a lousy 30% or Work of Art with 20%, and I don't think that really matters, because of a different taste.

Finally someone talking some sense! So what if this gets overrated because it carries the Van Halen logo on it? People are ALWAYS biased towards their favourite bands. I love HAREM SCAREM, but I didn't like a couple of discs in their catalogue - "Voice of Reason" and "Overload" especially. Now I'd probably rate both albums about a 7/10 (a pretty high score). If they didn't have the HS logo on them then I probably wouldn't have tried so hard to get into them and ditched them after a couple of spins and rated them lower. This is probably why Melodicrock has a bias towards Andrew's fave bands - is just human nature that people are more forgiving of bands they like. It's a basic of having a forum you can debate on that everyone has a different opinion, and if you don't have that then you have a site like Blabbermouth full of opinionated & brain-dead morons...

You see to me below 40% is a completely unreasonable score and is the score of a person who has / and always will dislike Van Halen.

It is well known that you like hooky melodic rock and Van Halen aint that beast, so you scoring this album at 40% is like me scoring the next death metal album at 40%....pretty meaningless.

I mean you gave 'Outta Space' what 1/10?? That song flat outs rocks and is one of the best tunes on the album! The fact is has no hook is irrelevant - just turn it up and rock out.

Peace out.........

Yeah, but mate, I think that's where the new point I somewhere decided I was going to make without being clear emerged.

I am all for to each their own and I honestly don't think 40% is unreasonable from me. If I was an outsider viewing my posts I'd think how is that guy seriously that handsome, and I'd also expect that type of score. Whether you agree or not, that's how I feel I've established myself. And it's why I like reading reviews from your good self, Tim and Mark on this site. Because I feel like I have a good sense of what you guys like, you're always pretty straight up and I can get a good gauge on if I'll like something I have not heard if I read your comments beforehand.

And I hope people get that same sense when they look at my horrid words on a page. That, agree with me or not, I'm pretty consistent and honest in my thoughts on music. Yeah, I have never liked rubbish like what is on the new VH CD and I needn't pretend to like it either. I know my thoughts seem harsh, but they're totally honest.

For the record, I gave 'Outta Space' a 4/10, not 1/10. And I would skip it every time. But I am not only harsh on VH for bad songs. I was going to do a summary of all the songs I rated below 4 from last year - including bands I love, but it was HUGE, so here's everything I rated below 3 last year, fyi. Does not matter who the band is, how much I love them or how much bias I may have towards them. A bad song is a bad song - full stop, no question. And I totally disagree with your rock song theory too, that even a bad rock song deserves a decent score. There are plenty of rock songs so bad I'd take other genres of music over them.

7th Heaven - - I did not sign up for this - 2

7th Heaven - - What's my name - 2

Edguy - - Robin Hood - 3

Edguy - - The arcane guild - 3

Mr Big - - Nobody takes the blame - 3

Panic At The Disco - - Nearly witches (Ever since we met) - 3

Hawk Nelson - - Tally-ho - 3

Hawk Nelson - - We're alright - 3

Hawk Nelson - - Skeleton - 2

Hawk Nelson - - Fraud - 2

Sunrise Avenue - - Out of tune - 3

Magnum - - The visitation - 3

Taking Back Sunday - - El Paso - 3

Big Trouble - - Popcorn, whiskey and beer - 3

Head On - - Hey baby - 3

Head On - - Danny - 2

Head On - - Take me home - 3

Head On - - Electric knights - 1

Whitesnake - - My evil ways - 3

Seether - - Dead deeds - 3

Theory Of A Deadman - - Lowlife - 2

Theory Of A Deadman - - Bitch came back - 3

Theory Of A Deadman - - Gentleman - 2

Theory Of A Deadman - - Love is hell - 3

Theory Of A Deadman - - The truth is - 2

Hedley - - Carry on - 2

Run Kid Run - - - 3

Finally someone talking some sense! So what if this gets overrated because it carries the Van Halen logo on it? People are ALWAYS biased towards their favourite bands. I love HAREM SCAREM, but I didn't like a couple of discs in their catalogue - "Voice of Reason" and "Overload" especially. Now I'd probably rate both albums about a 7/10 (a pretty high score). If they didn't have the HS logo on them then I probably wouldn't have tried so hard to get into them and ditched them after a couple of spins and rated them lower. This is probably why Melodicrock has a bias towards Andrew's fave bands - is just human nature that people are more forgiving of bands they like. It's a basic of having a forum you can debate on that everyone has a different opinion, and if you don't have that then you have a site like Blabbermouth full of opinionated & brain-dead morons...

Nightrain, I don't expect everyone to rate this 40% - not by any stretch. I was just having a jest. With my entire being I cannot fathom how even a die-hard could honestly rate this above 80%, but mate, it's all up to the individual and what the individual bases his/her rating on. I expressed what I like to see out of reviews in honesty and consistency, and what I base my reviews on. But obviously no one else thinks exactly the same and any single other reviewer, no doubt, has a whole different set of standards.

And for the record, anyone who rates Steel Panther 30% deserves to be shot. ;):P

And Tim, of course bias happens. And possibly may even with me to a tiny degree, but I don't really think so in all honesty. Like I say, a good song is a good song and a bad song is a bad song. I've had to make some hard decisions dismissing bands I've once loved but I can't just blindly like crap because of a name on the cover of the CD. Lillian Axe, anyone?

Like most I had no reason to expect this to be this good. Not that it's an all time great album but it would of fit in nicely with the first four albums. Ed plays his ass off and DLR sounds very good as well. "Tattoo" is growing on me but it's probably the worst tune on here. My fav track is a tie between "She's the Woman" and "Bullethead" but really they are cool in that old school VH way. I always try not to pick a side in the Sammy or DLR era argument as I like them both but when it comes down to it they are very different sounding as is this album compared to Chickenfoot. As it sits now I like them both.

I have to say I'm really enjoying this. After the initial disappointment of this being much less commercial than the Hagar stuff, and my hatred of "Tattoo" (aarrggghh), there is some damn killer stuff on here. Awesome production and guitar work, some great songs that sink-in nicely after a few spins. The vocals are decidedly rough, no question, but this one is well worth investing time into spinning...

Hmmm, I really don't know, guys. The new VH disc has not impressed me as much as some of you. I am missing the melodies and there is too much shredding going on for my tender ears. To be honest I prefer Chickenfoot, and that's not saying I prefer Hagar over DLR.

I still have no idea why you let people add their own reviews - having read the reviews on this disc on the site most people seem to be melodramatic clowns more interested in having a pop at the review than arguing an opinion. Stuff like: "Andrew I don't think I'll ever trust your reviews again", or comments about bias towards bands like VH and Harem Scarem. People disagree, deal with it. Reviews are supposed to inform/educate/shape peoples buying habits. Who gives a toss whether people trust the reviews, when you run a site you can post what the fuck you like. And if you have a bias towards bands like Harem Scarem, so what? Everyone has favourite bands that they probably have some bias towards, even if they do release a weak album.

Great post this. I hope the site continues to allow people to post their own reviews as I like reading others' opinions. However, as you say, you can always choose to ignore a person's reviews if he/she doesn't share your tastes. Personally I use reviews to decide which songs to check out, then I make my mind up. And I always read a range of reviews before deciding to buy or listen. I can see why people might get wound up when fans of the same band disagree on what is or isn't a good song or album, e.g. if someone said to me, "I'm a huge fan of Bolt Thrower, but I think IVth Crusade is a weak album" I would assume he was f***ing mental and needed his head tested, but it's still only an opinion. Arguing about opinions on music is about as worthwhile arguing that red is better than blue.

Great post this. I hope the site continues to allow people to post their own reviews as I like reading others' opinions. However, as you say, you can always choose to ignore a person's reviews if he/she doesn't share your tastes. Personally I use reviews to decide which songs to check out, then I make my mind up. And I always read a range of reviews before deciding to buy or listen. I can see why people might get wound up when fans of the same band disagree on what is or isn't a good song or album, e.g. if someone said to me, "I'm a huge fan of Bolt Thrower, but I think IVth Crusade is a weak album" I would assume he was f***ing mental and needed his head tested, but it's still only an opinion. Arguing about opinions on music is about as worthwhile arguing that red is better than blue.

Absolutely backed, both of you !! :drink:

I'm a huge fan of Bolt Thrower, but I think IVth Crusade is a weak album ... :whistle:

Hmmm, I really don't know, guys. The new VH disc has not impressed me as much as some of you. I am missing the melodies and there is too much shredding going on for my tender ears. Do be honest I prefer Chickenfoot, and that's not saying I prefer Hagar over DLR.

Wow! Finally. Good to see I'm not completely alone. ;)

Hmmm, I really don't know, guys. The new VH disc has not impressed me as much as some of you. I am missing the melodies and there is too much shredding going on for my tender ears. Do be honest I prefer Chickenfoot, and that's not saying I prefer Hagar over DLR.

Yeah, but 4/10 is a little harsh, my friend. It's not that bad, imo. I'd rate it at a 6.5/10.

Yeah, but 4/10 is a little harsh, my friend. It's not that bad, imo. I'd rate it at a 6.5/10.

Anyone who gives this 4/10 shouldn't have bought the thing, given that most reviews have clearly highlighted this is not a mainstream "5150"-styled disc. If you don't like their tougher-sound then why spend any money on this in the first place? And if they haven't actually spent money on it and have just flicked-through soundbytes then I expect the band and most fans wouldn't care about their opinions anyway....

Anyone who gives this 4/10 shouldn't have bought the thing, given that most reviews have clearly highlighted this is not a mainstream "5150"-styled disc. If you don't like their tougher-sound then why spend any money on this in the first place? And if they haven't actually spent money on it and have just flicked-through soundbytes then I expect the band and most fans wouldn't care about their opinions anyway....

I don't expect anyone else to give it 4 - definitely not. That's my opinion. Bernd, at least your score of 6.5, based on knowing you on the forum for so many years and knowing what you like to an extent; at least it makes sense. It's not that I expect everyone to hate the thing - I just am really surprised at just how great so many people think it is.

Seems to be one or the either, which is fair enough. Except for Tim, who hates all the super melodic US hard rock bands from the 80's / early 90's but likes this? ;) They don't call him a creep for nothing.

And how I heard this is between Jesus and me... and anyone else in the world. I clearly downloaded this mofo to hear what it was like - cannot contain my curiosity. Did not bother with a soundbyte ever and I spun the full album about 3-4 times before dismissing it forever, bar about 3 songs I think I kept.

Anyone who knows my buying methods at all knows I download a lot of stuff, but ALWAYS, without exception, buy what deserves to be bought - and if it's a band I trust I don't bother downloading. Some people use soundbytes, I use full albums. It may not please everyone, but it's 2012 and it's how I roll. :)