Harem Scarem - Mood Swings

KarpetRydOFunk

• My Little Pony

I'm so ashamed, I'm not even worthy to ask you to refrain from throwing stones. I just finished my first listen of "Mood Swings." I can't recall how many times I've seen the numerous accolades from the lot of you and many others with regards to this album, yet I never picked it up until now. So, here I am giving it a listen, not at all prepared, because I've only heard "Harem Scarem," "Weight of the World," "Human Nature," "Hope," and the "MelodicRock EP," and then 'If There Was A Time' comes on and a wave of various emotions crashes over me. My previous exposure to this track was the acoustic version from the aforementioned "MelodicRock EP." In no way was I ready for an onslaught of fierce guitars and soaring vocals. Hallelujah! Holy shit!

yup this one and together with the debut is their strongest albums, but Harem Scarem remains one of my most fave band and I do think their later/modern day albums are also great, especially 'Weight' and 'Higher'.

btw, Mood Swings is much heavier than the debut, which is very AOR in all places.

You have every right to be ashamed and embarrassed. And after we're through talking about your face, you should also be ashamed about this situation too. Mostly for the fact that the band is from your own country and you haven't even checked it out.

Anyway, what do I care. Brilliant CD from a brilliant band. I wonder how long they're going to wait before getting back together for another CD. I wish they'd hurry up. ;)

I wonder how long they're going to wait before getting back together for another CD. I wish they'd hurry up. ;)

Yeah I'd love to see this too. Or maybe another Lesperance solo disc...

I wonder how long they're going to wait before getting back together for another CD. I wish they'd hurry up. ;)

personally I'd just be happy with a second First Signal disc :-))

Presumably it would be called 'Second Signal' and you've just saved Frontiers a few quid employing a marketing firm to come up with the name. Definitely backed though, Hess sounds awesome doing pure Melodic Rock, but frankly whatever style of music he sings the quality is always high...

backed!

loved the First Signal and expecting Second Signal in 2012 and probably a new reunited Harem Scarem disc in.. hmm 2014 maybe? if the world hasn't ended yet lol :D

backed!

loved the First Signal and expecting Second Signal in 2012 and probably a new reunited Harem Scarem disc in.. hmm 2014 maybe? if the world hasn't ended yet lol :D

:lol: Nice touch. ;)

Yeah, I'll take a Second Signal CD too. I do love the song writing combo of Hess and Lesperance, though, and surely for song writing machines like those guys are/were, they must have some new songs aching to be heard by an adoring public?

backed!

:lol: Nice touch. ;)

Yeah, I'll take a Second Signal CD too. I do love the song writing combo of Hess and Lesperance, though, and surely for song writing machines like those guys are/were, they must have some new songs aching to be heard by an adoring public?

it's probably just a marketing gimmick for Harem Scarem to dissolve, if things go right, in less then couple of years, they're probably be back together.

Band like Mr.Big who's big in Japan, once claimed that they have an impossible disputes between members that made them never be able to reunite, I guess that's the statement Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert released 4-5 years ago, and here we go, a reunited DVD and a new album, and probably couple of albums to follow before they part ways again.

It's a million dollar job, and with this economy crisis coming in a few years ahead, diffculties in selling albums like the old days, who'll pass the opportunity for a big bucks reunion concert?

I only really like the first 2 albums of those that I've heard by this band. Not having heard 'Mood Swings' before is pretty unforgivable, but then I've never heard 'Voice of Reason'...

:anon:

• 4 weeks later...

By far the best song on this album is Sentimental BLVD. Darren Smith is a great singer, he should sing a lot more than he does.

IMO Hess' version on his solo disc is far superior

By far the best song on this album is Sentimental BLVD. Darren Smith is a great singer, he should sing a lot more than he does.

Yeah I've heard that one on youtube. It's very good.

Yeah I've heard that one on youtube. It's very good.

I prefer the original just because it's ridiculously good and at the time it was the most outrageously melodic and catchy thing I'd ever heard in my life (maybe only after 'Stranger than love,' which I'd also only heard for the first time about 15-20mins before). But I'm actually not a big fan of Darren Smith's vocals... even if he can pull off a perfect Harry Hess impersonation. I've always wished that my favourite HS song 'Staying Away' and this both featured Hess on vocals... not that it really makes a difference at all, to be totally honest.

I love Hess' version, but it just doesn't have the bite, power or pure excellence of the original... imo. It's almost like an acoustic version of a really monsterous rocker. :)

I would have an orgasm if Harem Scarem reformed and released another disc!! :banger:

I'd honestly be more suprised if they didn't than if/when they actually do. :) I'm counting down the days too.

I think "Saviors Never Cry" is much better - easily the best track imo. What a chooooon!!!

• 3 years later...

Riving an old thread because I forgot just how damned awesome MOOD SWINGS is.

"Stranger Than Love" could easily be THE song I'd play for anyone who should ask "What is Melodic Rock / AOR?"

Yes, Stranger Than Love is my pick or best track on Mood Swings