White Widdow

Glen

Band: White Widdow

Album: Serenade

Label: AOR Heaven

Release date: 23.09.2011

Founded in Melbourne Australia, White Widdow was formed in 2008 by front man Jules Millis , Bassist Trent Wilson and Guitarist Enzo Almanzi. Soon after, Jules brought in his brother Xavier Millis on the keyboards, a two time ARIA (Australian Record Industry Award) nominee. With Xavier onboard, the writing team was in place and the line-up was then completed with Jim Naish on drums. Raised on a healthy diet of 80’s Arena Rock and influenced by artists such as White Sister, Giuffria, Aviator, Survivor , Danger Danger, Rick Springfield and Roxus, White Widdow started out playing live amongst the diverse Melbourne Rock scene, they quickly established themselves as a solid live unit throughout their native Australia. In mid 2009 White Widdow recorded and released their free digital only EP which was very well received in selected press.

In 2010 White Widdow stormed onto the Melodic Rock scene across the globe with the release of their self titled debut album through AOR Heaven. With the release of the debut, the full vision of White Widdow has become a reality. An album full of Melodic Rock and AOR anthems filled with swirling keyboards, blistering guitar playing and big choruses full of hooks.

Hot on the heels of their debut, White Widdow return with their follow up release “Serenade”. Proud of their 80’s influences, the new album “Serenade” retains the urgency and energy of the White Widdow debut , while also showcasing more diversity in song style and structure. Recorded at Solid State Studios in Melbourne Australia and Mixed and Mastered by Pelle Saether (Grand Design) at Studio Underground in Sweden.

Track list: 1. Cry Wolf, 2. Strangers In The Night, 3. Do You Remember, 4. Reckless Nights, 5. How Far I Run, 6. Serenade, 7. Show Your Cards, 8. Mistake, 9. Patiently, 10. Love Won’t Wait

Link to soundbites -

http://www.metalheaven.net/html/home.html

Samples sound pretty cool to me - looking forward to another great release in 2011 !!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound's good ,like the last one. I sill think there are way to much keyboards!!

Sounds great. Loved the debut.

Is it me or do they sound more relaxed with the song writing and playing, the keys, guitars and vocals seem more natural and aren't trying so hard to do too much and go over the top like they did on many of tracks on the debut. No guitar solo can be heard, but although I LOVE huge wanking solos, I do think some of the over the top solos could have been toned down a notch on the debut. These samples give me an impression it will be a smoother release, let's just hope smoother doesn't turn into boring in the end.

I must admit that the point where this forum turned into the 'I all of a sudden hate perfect melodic rock, like Widdow Forum' has irritated me ( ;) ), but I personally still love the debut, and believe it is one of the better releases in recent years. I also think it would have a worthy place "back in the day."

Based on those 3 samples, the new disc will be every bit as good as the debut, if not even better? Sounds amazing. Cannot wait for this. Easily my most anticipated melodic rock album this year.

Is it me or do they sound more relaxed with the song writing and playing, the keys, guitars and vocals seem more natural and aren't trying so hard to do too much and go over the top like they did on many of tracks on the debut. No guitar solo can be heard, but although I LOVE huge wanking solos, I do think some of the over the top solos could have been toned down a notch on the debut. These samples give me an impression it will be a smoother release, let's just hope smoother doesn't turn into boring in the end.

My main argument against the debut album was that it sounded really forced, so I have to agree with ya all the way here. Look forward to hearing the new one though, as there was no denying the quality of some of the songs on the debut.

My main argument against the debut album was that it sounded really forced, so I have to agree with ya all the way here. Look forward to hearing the new one though, as there was no denying the quality of some of the songs on the debut.

The new samples sound a little more classier to me......really looking forward to hearing this.

I'm very tempted to make more juvenile jokes on this thread, but I actually checked out the soundbytes on this and it was okay. More interesting than the debut sounded (though they'd have struggled to make it less interesting than the debut), and maybe even worth checking out - though I'll be very careful before I actually part with money.

After my about-turn regarding Hinder (who's last album was actually pretty good after the crap that preceeded it), no-one can say I hold a grudge. Shit, I might even find myself chuckling along to the lyrics on the new Steel Panther disc, who knows?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET4-NBf_ugY&feature=related

I've listen to these samples over and over and then I listened to the debut...the production and the delivery is tighter and smoother on those samples of Seranade. I really can't wait to hear a full track.

I must admit that the point where this forum turned into the 'I all of a sudden hate perfect melodic rock, like Widdow Forum' has irritated me ( ;) ), but I personally still love the debut, and believe it is one of the better releases in recent years. I also think it would have a worthy place "back in the day."

Based on those 3 samples, the new disc will be every bit as good as the debut, if not even better? Sounds amazing. Cannot wait for this. Easily my most anticipated melodic rock album this year.

What he said ;)

Kieran Dargan's (organiser of Firefest) comment -

"Listening to the forthcoming WHITE WIDDOW album Serenade.....if you thought the debut was class.This makes it sound like a bunch of schoolkids recording demos.OH MY CHRIST......THIS IS F**KING AWESOME....no make that awesome squared multiplied by 26 and quadrupled,.bloody hell...wait until you get a listen to How Far I Run and the opener Mistake....and Cry Wolf.... flabberghasted at the brilliance on show here.sell your house to buy it when it comes out..and have a mortgage worth paying !"

Do you think he likes it LOL. Well stoked for this, should be awesome.

There's a small bunch of AOR lovin folk who've now heard the album in full & have nothing but incredibly postive reviews to make :)

Yeah, but me and TIM haven't heard it yet! ;)

There's a small bunch of AOR lovin folk who've now heard the album in full & have nothing but incredibly postive reviews to make :)

Indeed. If I see someone who's opinion I value (I'll be honest, it's really just my own!) rave about an album then I'd snap it up, but these days you get so much hype over so little... Am open-minded though, so even though the debut bored me senseless I'll give this one a chance...

Indeed. If I see someone who's opinion I value (I'll be honest, it's really just my own!) rave about an album then I'd snap it up, but these days you get so much hype over so little... Am open-minded though, so even though the debut bored me senseless I'll give this one a chance...

I will definitely check this out but I won't buy based on any reviews... IMO, most of the AOR review-sites out there are totally unreliable and they will give top score to just about any AOR release, now matter how mediocre it is. I mean, if we should trust a site like Melodic Rock.com then about 90% of all AOR releases today are at least "very good"...

• My Little Pony

I will definitely check this out but I won't buy based on any reviews... IMO, most of the AOR review-sites out there are totally unreliable and they will give top score to just about any AOR release, now matter how mediocre it is. I mean, if we should trust a site like Melodic Rock.com then about 90% of all AOR releases today are at least "very good"...

That's why one needs to find samples and get a feel for the album. And if samples are not available, maybe download the album before buying it. Is it really only Geoff and I that use this method?

• My Little Pony

I was just trying to make a point about these overly enthusiastic reviews you get everywhere... and that's why one needs the samples.

I understood what you were getting at, I was just adding my two cents. Although, now I should be saving my cents in anticipation for this album!

That's why one needs to find samples and get a feel for the album. And if samples are not available, maybe download the album before buying it. Is it really only Geoff and I that use this method?

Indeed. It's the only sensible way to roll in 2011. That said, I will buy this CD blindly as soon as a pre-order is available. Very few bands I'd do that for, but White Widdow is definitely one of them.