Vivian Campbell claims Def Leppard will not record anymore full albums

Captain Howdy

Got this from Planetrock

Guitarist Vivian Campbell suggests that the band may not release any more new records

In an interview with Artist Direct he revealed that while the band will record new material in the future, the way that it is released may be something new: "Next year we'll put out an album. I am not sure if it will be a full-length. I don't see the point in putting out full-lengths since the goal post has shifted. People are not interested in full-lengths. I'd rather put out less music with more quality.

"It used to be 10-12 songs that the record company wanted and you go into the studio and do the songs. We live in such pleasure times now; there is so much going on and there are so many things vying for people's attention and there is so much media and instant communication with the web and phones. People don't have time to listen to a full album. Very few will do that, so we want to give people quality."

Campbell also revealed that the three new songs for Def Leppard's new live album were last minute additions.

"We were going to just do a live recording for the DVD. Then management said that it would add more value to the package to have new songs so there was a mad scramble to write a few songs.

"I don't know when Rick Savage or Phil Collen started writing them. The lead track off the album is 'Undefeated' that Joe Elliott wrote and he wrote it for this set."

But despite the uncertainty over the band's recording future, it seems that they aren't getting tired of touring.

"I never get sick of it. We keep it fresh for ourselves and really enjoy it. We play the same songs a lot and you can't not do the songs you know your audience wants to hear, like 'Rock of Ages' and 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' and 'Photograph.' The other part of the equation is that we have those big hits and stay on road, but we change up the set. We'll add something obscure to the set list, if for our own benefit and for that of the diehards."

To be honest, I dont think Campbell is someone who has any decision in things like this, so is probably talking out of turn.

To say that people dont have time to listen to full albums is ridiculous. He says that with all the modern tech like phones etc, it gives people less time to listen to albums, yet fails to realise that people use those phones to listen to music. They have dedicated MP3 players to listen to music. They have PCs that they use to listen to music. They have consoles which allow them to listen to music.

While its true that some people may cherry pick MP3's when they are downloading, more people probably listen to albums than ever before due to how much easier it is to obtain them legally and illegally.

Fact is, singles are poor sellers compared to albums, so its rubbish to say that people dont have time to listen to albums.

What people want isnt a handful of quality tunes, they want is a lot of quality tunes.

Trying to claim that by releasing a full album you may be sacrificing quality is laughable, as there are thousands upon thousands of albums out there that prove you can release an album full of quality. To suggest that you are risking quality is basically saying the writers of the songs are lazy or struggle to write good songs.

The Cult has been saying the same thing for a while, that the album format is "dead" so they've been releasing intermittent "capsules" whenever they feel like it -- downloadable doohickeys with one or two new songs on 'em, a live track, and some video clips or other goodies. Nice idea in theory but I don't think they're the wave of the future.

You can understand where a band like The Cult may see it as an issue, but Def Leppard, regardless of what people think about their albums these days still sell shit loads of albums.

Obviously they aint selling the sort of figures they were selling during the Hysteria era, but the music scene has changed not just the technology. And for a band from that era to still be selling the album numbers they do is quite an achievement. How many other bands from that era are still having albums that even hit the music charts, let alone in the top 10.

I guess releasing tracks every so often is treating fans to the equivalent of a chicken mcnugget meal. Most people I know would prefer the banquet option so bring on the albums I say.

"Next year we'll put out an album. I am not sure if it will be a full-length"

Well if it's not full length then it's not an album is it ??? It's an E.P. or whatever.

Anything around the 35 minute plus mark is a full length album in my book. Most albums before the advent of CD were around 35 - 40 minutes anyway. Problem with CD is you can get so much on that many tracks that may have surfaced as b-sides or dropped due to vinyl constraints are now recorded and included ...and sometimes you get a weaker album because of that. The chaff isn't seperated from the wheat as it were.

"there are so many things vying for people's attention "

Would your attention be drawn more to a single song by an artist or more to a full album of music?

Having said that there's plenty to distract me from Leppards music....usually other peoples music haha!

I read an interview recently that Joe Elliot did and he basically said the same thing. He said they might release an ep here and there but touring was what they were going to continue doing. Who knows...the last album was terrible and the one before that was just okay. The new one is pretty cool...$11.00 at Walmart for two cd's and a DVD. Not bad...

The Cult has been saying the same thing for a while, that the album format is "dead" so they've been releasing intermittent "capsules" whenever they feel like it -- downloadable doohickeys with one or two new songs on 'em, a live track, and some video clips or other goodies. Nice idea in theory but I don't think they're the wave of the future.

Yeah but the Cult released a good song last year, Leppard hasnt released anything good since Pyromania!!! so I dont think it much matters if they do 2 songs or a double live album with a 3rd disc full of brand new songs, they dont do it for me at all anymore, I think the best thing ive heard from them since hysteria was backing Taylor Swift up, lets here it for The Cult!!

Yeah but the Cult released a good song last year, Leppard hasnt released anything good since Pyromania!!! so I dont think it much matters if they do 2 songs or a double live album with a 3rd disc full of brand new songs, they dont do it for me at all anymore, I think the best thing ive heard from them since hysteria was backing Taylor Swift up, lets here it for The Cult!!

I think most people would agree that there have been some good albums and definitely some good songs since Pyromania, although I don't care for them as much today as I use to.

Hysteria was far superior to Pyromania for me (and millions of people for that matter). Adrenalize was a great album. Euphoria was a great album. Slang had some great songs on it. Sparkle Lounge had some good songs on it. X was cack with probably one reasonable song on it. I'm not including best ofs, collections of b-sides and covers albums because I am just talking about studio albums of all new songs.

Hysteria was far superior to Pyromania for me (and millions of people for that matter). Adrenalize was a great album. Euphoria was a great album. Slang had some great songs on it. Sparkle Lounge had some good songs on it. X was cack with probably one reasonable song on it. I'm not including best ofs, collections of b-sides and covers albums because I am just talking about studio albums of all new songs.

And before Wes has a chance to say anything, yes...I would rate the X album at about a 92%. Just sayin'...:)

And before Wes has a chance to say anything, yes...I would rate the X album at about a 92%. Just sayin'...:)

I enjoyed X. I hated the track order. the opening song is dreadful and hurts the flow of the album for me.

Unmasked > X (yes I just said that)

This would be a blessing if they didn't record anymore. This band is done and the only way they wouldn't be done is if they could somehow find a time machine and go back to New Years Eve 1984 and someone not let Rick Allen drive his car as well as do a better job of keeping Clark sober and alive and maybe even go back further and keeping Pete Willis in the band because he wrote a shit load of songs on those first three tunes and I won't deny that Collen is an exceptional guitar player and musician but the band hasn't been the same since Clark died really as at least when they played in the band together they balanced each other out between rock and pop.

I'm one of those that prefer Pyromania but I can't deny Hysteria's greatness or impact on their careers or the scene in general. Adrenalize was really good but was kind of a b version of Hysteria, Retroactive was awesome, Slang was different but did have some good moments, Sparkle and X were average at best and that's being nice. To me they seem to be doing their best by trying to try to be as commercial as possible and following the Aerosmith route of the 90's but it hasn't worked for Leppard. They need to figure who they are and stick to the Hysteria type sound so at least their diehard fans are happy just like they did with the great Euphoria disc. They tried the alternative sound on Slang, then went oh shit we need to make a Hysteria type disc on Eurphoria and it worked and then they went waaaay to pop using Backstreet Boys songwriters on X, then even doing a duet with a country singer on Sparkle that made no sense at ll. They don't need gimmicks they need to be themselves but then again with Clark or Mutt Lange they don't have that guy there to call bullshit when a bad idea is brought up.

This would be a blessing if they didn't record anymore. This band is done and the only way they wouldn't be done is if they could somehow find a time machine and go back to New Years Eve 1984 and someone not let Rick Allen drive his car as well as do a better job of keeping Clark sober and alive and maybe even go back further and keeping Pete Willis in the band because he wrote a shit load of songs on those first three tunes and I won't deny that Collen is an exceptional guitar player and musician but the band hasn't been the same since Clark died really as at least when they played in the band together they balanced each other out between rock and pop.

See I dont think that Clarke and Willis would have made a difference to the bands output. Willis showed with Roadhouse that he was quite happy to move into a lighter direction, so I dont think he would have been too worried with the direction Leppard took.

Clarke on the other hand I am not convinced that he had that much to do with the creative side for years considering the condition he was in most of the time.

I agree that Allen losing his arm impacted on the sound, but for many the Leppard sound that really pushed them into the big leagues was heavily driven by his drum sound.

You have to say, had Willis stayed and had Allen not lost his arm its entirely impossible the band may have never ended up being as big as they ended up with Hysteria, rather than putting out better material.

Theres two ways to look at anything.

I enjoyed X. I hated the track order. the opening song is dreadful and hurts the flow of the album for me.

I really like the track "Now" but there is some really great pop rock songs with the background vox that we know & love. Not to mention the song "Long Way To Go" rivals any ballad they ever released.

See I dont think that Clarke and Willis would have made a difference to the bands output. Willis showed with Roadhouse that he was quite happy to move into a lighter direction, so I dont think he would have been too worried with the direction Leppard took.

Clarke on the other hand I am not convinced that he had that much to do with the creative side for years considering the condition he was in most of the time.

I agree that Allen losing his arm impacted on the sound, but for many the Leppard sound that really pushed them into the big leagues was heavily driven by his drum sound.

You have to say, had Willis stayed and had Allen not lost his arm its entirely impossible the band may have never ended up being as big as they ended up with Hysteria, rather than putting out better material.

Theres two ways to look at anything.

I can't disagree that probably wouldn't of been as big if they stuck to older sound but I still prefer the more AC/DC meets Lizzy sound but they still did some good stuff later on but I don't like anything since Euphoria.

This just sounds stupid to me. What's the point in even bothering with a new song here and there? It doesn't sound like they'd be doing it out of a desire to make new music for the love of it anyway, so what's the point? It just sounds like it's a chore for them and if that's the case why not just give it up?

Releasing this single song every few months will generate no new income, 95% of people will either just download it for free nor not even bother with it... so the only income will be from concerts.

It also says to me they have no idea what the fans really want either. Because a couple of kids like singles they are willing to ignore the desires of their core fanbase that have stuck with them through the years? F*ck off. It just sounds like such shit to me.

And for the record, I have liked every studio album the band have released except the first one ('On through the night') and the last one (the ATROCIOUS 'Sparkle Face'). Other than that, I've either loved or liked them all. Including 'X,' which I still think is great.